Something Is Wrong With My Devac?

• You cannot reply to this topic
61 replies to this topic

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic Crx
alright, well i already ordered a kit from majestic honda yesterday for 20 bucks so i guess all i can do is wait

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
fuck god damn bastards, those assholes, i paid for 2nd day air and i ordered it Saturday and there telling its coming sometime next week wtf i want my money back!!! mad.gif dry.gif

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
it happens... that's why I ALWAYS choose the cheapest shipping option, it tends not to take too long and it doesn't break your wallet
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

DarkHand

Our old parts take a while for Honda to locate which vintage warehouse they're stored in, then get shipped from that warehouse to either another warehouse or to the dealership (Majestic), and then on to you. The 2nd day shipping is for after Majestic gets their hands on the parts. sad.gif
DarkHand

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG ALRIGHT GREAT NEWS today after i cashed my

paycheck i went to action auto parts store and got a a rebuild kit for 67$ and picked up carb cleaner and a bucket of chem

dip and i went through the whole garage and found three old carbs and including the one that was on the car and tore them

all apart until i got the parts that i needed (they where parts that hadn't been tampered with and and made a complete

carb) so i put it all together to make sure i wasnt missing anything and then tore it all apart and soaked everything for half

an hour in chem dip and rebuilt my Frankenstein carb and at first i was skeptical about it working cause everything was

giving me trouble even getting it on for some reason the threads for the baseplate were not lining up with hole's on the

carb so after my friend the sludge hammer paid him a visit it all went together it took forever to satrt but when it started

the thing idled at 200 perfect i swear smoother than when it came out the factory didnt even budge a mm so i raised the i

idle to 800 and then the moment of truth i turned on the high beams and heater at the same time and the idle didn't even

budge biggrin.gif so i looked at the timing and it was all good and no more dieseling and i whent too look at the float level and i

could see the float it self and i played with it and could not get it adjusted right the threads on the screw stuck out of the

top of the carb and gas came spewing out and now i stabe the gas and let go quick it dies the only time it doesn't is when i

hold it at a certain rpm and let go quick that my only problem now ooooohhhhhhhhh still idles smooth though also if it does

make a difference i didn't adjust the fuel/air its set at stock also the exhaust is amazing i cant even feel it it doesnt even

have a odder or color it like it doesn't exist all u can feel is warmth from the tailpipe i looked at my uncles and my moms

car all where under 10 years old with less than 145,000 miles (for the record my moms car 1999 corolla, uncles a 1998

Subaru station wagon outback limited) all three cars had the same exhaust feel to them so now im gonna go down to pull

apart to pick up a whole new top for my Frankenstein carb i have not driven the car yet cause im to tired but i will

tomorrow and the car bogs a little only when u give it barely any gas biggrin.gif also the carb looks brand new looks amazing im

gonna post pics for sure today and where do u guys get those glass fuel filters

Edited by 86 civic crx, 08 August 2008 - 04:59 AM.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (86 civic crx @ Aug 8 2008, 04:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so now im gonna go down to pull

apart to pick up a whole new top for my Frankenstein carb i have not driven the car yet cause im to tired but i will

tomorrow and the car bogs a little only when u give it barely any gas biggrin.gif also the carb looks brand new looks amazing im

gonna post pics for sure today and where do u guys get those glass fuel filters

why are you gonna get a new top for the carb? Is it because you messed with the float screw and didn't use a paint pen to seal it up? Is that why?

Glass fuel filter? Autozone, right by where they keep the MSD coils and Edlebrock air cleaners. I believe its made by Spectre.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

DarkHand

hehe a little tough to read but congrats! smile.gif

I've always had bad luck with those glass fuel filters (at least the cheap ones at the auto parts store), they always come apart on me and start to leak. Maybe I was buying from a bad batch though.

There's an o-ring under the float screw to prevent gas from leaking out of those threads, it's very fragile even when it's new. You want to adjust the float screw slowly not only to give the fuel level time to stabilize, but also to prevent that o-ring from getting chewed up.
DarkHand

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (badpenny @ Aug 8 2008, 03:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why are you gonna get a new top for the carb? Is it because you messed with the float screw and didn't use a paint pen to seal it up? Is that why?

Glass fuel filter? Autozone, right by where they keep the MSD coils and Edlebrock air cleaners. I believe its made by Spectre.

yep so instead of trying to fix im gonna go down to pull apart and pay 5 bucks and get a working one

Edited by 86 civic crx, 08 August 2008 - 05:50 PM.

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
yeah!!!! the top of the carb only cost me 3.62$ and i fixed the leaking accelerator pump (forgot to tell u guys) and its great i drove it and it was amazing for the first time it feels like i got somewhere now all i need to do is get the bogging problem fixed it bucks like a bull once it hits 2,000rpm allot i was doing burnouts on accident the only time it doesn't i when the slow idle mixture solenoid (that thing with the two wires on it on the back of the carb) is not plugged in and it has the best sounding revs i have ever heard and it has alot of power in low rpm's the most power ive ever seen but it idles so bad it jumps almost 500rpm at a time and when it is plugged in it idles SO SMOOTH!!! but it bogs bad its almost like i have to choose also took pics today but i dont know how to put them on here if anyone wants to tell me that would make my day easier.

Edited by 86 civic crx, 11 August 2008 - 01:53 AM.

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
hello anyone the last problem i have is bogging, its gotten to the point where i drive it for more than 10min i cant even get it in second gear without stalling i floor it and that the only way to get it going i couldn't even make it into my driveway today without revving it to 5,000 rpm in 1st and i cant even hold it at 2,000rpm without it bogging down to 1500 and back up to 2100 this only happens with slow idle mixture solenoid is plugged in (the thing on the back of the carb with two wires) once i unplug it barely idles and as soon as i plug it in it idles fun but bogs, also if it helps i have not messed with the fuel/air mix on the back bottom of the carb maybe lean it out? plz help me its driving me crazy mad.gif

DarkHand

You rebuilt the carb right? Sounds like the accelerator pump diaphragm isn't working right, or the passages are clogged. There should be a little squirt of gas going down the side of the primary barrel when you open the throttle. Make sure that's there.

I also reread your post about the float, don't worry about where the float itself is at through the glass, you want the level of the fuel to be in the middle. If you're adjusting for the position of the float itself you'll be way off. The fact that the bolts didn't quite line up is strange too. Can you post some pictures?
DarkHand

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
yes i will, there is a squirt of gas like u said and for some reason i could not adjust the float properly and it smells like gas but there is no gas in any of the barrels the float level is to high and i cant get it any lower BTW i have not touched the fuel/air mix it is set at stock sad.gif

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
sounds like you missed something, pull it back apart or just find a decent stock one.... shouldn't cost too much
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

DarkHand

Something is up with the float needle if you can't get the fuel level down to the right level.

To lower it you screw in, like you're tightening the screw. Don't forget to go very slowly, and only an 1/8th of a turn at a time.
DarkHand

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
pics

http://s524.photobuc...daveluvsnissan/

i added some more pics so take another look!

Edited by 86 civic crx, 12 August 2008 - 01:23 AM.