'86 Si Grrrrrrr

• You cannot reply to this topic
52 replies to this topic

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
How's the compression on the motor?

I have a similar problem, though my car still runs, it just backfires at random intervals. Changed the whole motor/distributor to a different one and the car still runs poorly. Not looking for a solution, I will find it eventually.

I would check your fuel pressure and compression with a guage.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

jordanh420

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX DX with Si Swap
QUOTE (Rampage @ Aug 15 2006, 10:36 PM)
How's the compression on the motor?

I have a similar problem, though my car still runs, it just backfires at random intervals.  Changed the whole motor/distributor to a different one and the car still runs poorly.  Not looking for a solution, I will find it eventually.

I would check your fuel pressure and compression with a guage.

Cheers,
Mark

Compression is excellent. Oh I just talked to the previous owner and he said it was over heated before this started happening.
It's pretty good for what it is.

phuber

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Civic SI, 03 RSX, 03 CRV
I have taken a picture of the temperature sensor but am not sure how to go about posting it. If someone can give me directions, I'll post a copy.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Oh I just talked to the previous owner and he said it was over heated before this started happening.

That I would have a cylinder leakdown test performed as well, then, to see if you have a head gasket leak between cylinders.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

jordanh420

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Rampage @ Aug 17 2006, 01:59 PM)
That I would have a cylinder leakdown test performed as well, then, to see if you have a head gasket leak between cylinders.

Cheers,
Mark

I was thinking a head gasket problem as well, but I've already done a head gasket and had the head rebuilt while I was at it. I think I'm going to look into the leakdown test, but compression is good on the motor. Thanks for all the help.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I found my problem.

Over a year of being discouraged and down on my crappy little motor I finally found it. I felt for you as soon as I read this thread seeing as I'm going through the same problems.

Here was my solution: I removed and plugged all the vacuum hoses from the black box while the motor was warm. Four little hoses and one large one. Machine screws to plug the hoses, and I left the large one free, as it is a source hose for the black box. You can plug it, if you want. I used one of the rubber caps on the AC rail to plug the small hose on the manifold and a 3/8 rubber cooler line and bolt to plug the large inlet.

Yes, it was that bloody simple.

If you have not tried this, do it now. Remove all the extra crap on your motor and get it as simple as possible.

Good Luck.
Mark

Edited by Rampage, 18 August 2006 - 01:46 AM.

SportInjectedClub

jordanh420

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Rampage @ Aug 18 2006, 02:44 AM)
I found my problem.

Over a year of being discouraged and down on my crappy little motor I finally found it.  I felt for you as soon as I read this thread seeing as I'm going through the same problems.

Here was my solution:  I removed and plugged all the vacuum hoses from the black box while the motor was warm.  Four little hoses and one large one.  Machine screws to plug the hoses, and I left the large one free, as it is a source hose for the black box.  You can plug it, if you want.  I used one of the rubber caps on the AC rail to plug the small hose on the manifold and a 3/8 rubber cooler line and bolt to plug the large inlet. 

Yes, it was that bloody simple.

If you have not tried this, do it now.  Remove all the extra crap on your motor and get it as simple as possible.

Good Luck.
Mark

Could you post some pics please?

ChrisF-dude