87 Crx Si Piston Rods

• You cannot reply to this topic
73 replies to this topic

zackspeed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Civic SI racecar, and 86 Civic DX

Hi Kirk it has been a while. Some very good info and I didn't know you had gotten into building HP engines. I finally got my friends old 86 Civic track car and also found a very rust free 86 dx. Funny that this thread was here with the info I was needing lol. Some questions though. 

1. Talking about using the head studs on the girdle I am thinking you could also use the ARP set for this as well? 

2. With the pistons you posted the first one looks to be ZC pistons?? Or is it just labeled wrong since it is actually  a PG6 piston? Are these what you use for HP builds?

3. I have a ported SI head with a cam but I sure would like to find a PE3 head. Any ideas where to look?

Also off topic I have access to a 86 ZC engine as well. If I was to use that head with any of the Integra pistons the compression would not be as high correct?

There's people that dont know and people that don't know they don't KNOW!!

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

Hey Zack!

Do you have a part # for an ARP head stud kit?  I am about to go to the garage this weekend to try and get all the measurements needed to give to ARP so they could figure it out...it you know it, please share!  CRXer87hf is in need of a set and I was going to do the measurement for him.

PG6 is from circa 86-76 Intregra and has a moderate dome height, P29 is circa 88-89 Integra:

manypistons.jpg

I might have some PE3 cores about...it would take me a while to find them as they are not stored at my house (IIRC).

ZC - a lot of people use ZC nomenclature pretty freely, to avoid confusion what year motor and what model did it come from?  If you are using a DOHC head the combustion chambers are large (almost 43cc) and that makes the compression quite low - AKA "Hydra".

Hooper - take a look at the HYDRA link in my signature

iambhooper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 20 F150, 17 JGC Trailhawk, 90 DA Teggy STL Racecar, 92 DA Project, 92 DA Parts Car, 86 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 70 MGB GT project, 73 MGB GT parts car, I have issues!

I ordered the last set of ARP's that healtoe had, yesterday.  Part number 208-4701, which looks to be the ARP number.  Also, they are sending rod bolts from the D16.  I may just freshen the head I have and live with it for a moment until I can find a browntop or pe3.  

Pistons have been ordered... I went with the Nippon PG6 treated, non floater.  Crank is at the machine shop today, block in a week (pistons ship from the left coast) and I need to figure out the other.  For simplicity I have found a torque step header that I will get cleaned up.

Tejas is a long way from the Rustbelt.

hoop
greensboro, nc
20 F150, 17 JGC Trailhawk, 90 DA STL Racecar, 92 DA Project, 92 DA parts car, 86 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 70 MGB GT project, 73 MGB GT parts car... I may have issues!

zackspeed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

I don't know the part numbers but I could swear they are on this forum some where. I know one of the guys had all of the measurements posted at one point. 

The ZC engine is a true 86-87 from Japan. We got it from a guy local who claimed to have it and the trans. We are in real need of parts for a d16a1 trans for my friends 85 SI. Think he needs the fork collars? I will ask him. Anyway the trans was a stock 88-91 SI box so that didn't help. But we did get a true ZC with vacuum dizzy. To bad you cant find a D16 trans or parts these days. If I am not mistaken the early ZC was just shy of 11:1 no? Think you figured out that the ZC piston in a 1.5 and PE3 head would be almost 13:1? I just wonder how it would come out if you use those pistons with the ZC head as well.

I am very interested in the PE3 cores. Just let me know if you run across them. I would like to have two just so I had a back up. Also if you could share the ARP rod bolt info that would be awesome. Glad to see you are still around playing with these things.

Just found this and it should help speed up things with ARP. http://www.redpepper...rp +head +studs

Sure enough Hooper is right. http://arp-bolts.com...p?RecordID=1262

I still question that kit though. Are we sure it works for a A1 and it's not just for the later blocks?

Edited by zackspeed, 03 February 2017 - 10:37 AM.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Hooper - when you get the set, please check to see that they could work for the head and the girdle before doing a complete assembly?

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

I don't know the part numbers but I could swear they are on this forum some where. I know one of the guys had all of the measurements posted at one point. 

The ZC engine is a true 86-87 from Japan. We got it from a guy local who claimed to have it and the trans. We are in real need of parts for a d16a1 trans for my friends 85 SI. Think he needs the fork collars? I will ask him. Anyway the trans was a stock 88-91 SI box so that didn't help. But we did get a true ZC with vacuum dizzy. To bad you cant find a D16 trans or parts these days. If I am not mistaken the early ZC was just shy of 11:1 no? Think you figured out that the ZC piston in a 1.5 and PE3 head would be almost 13:1? I just wonder how it would come out if you use those pistons with the ZC head as well.

I am very interested in the PE3 cores. Just let me know if you run across them. I would like to have two just so I had a back up. Also if you could share the ARP rod bolt info that would be awesome. Glad to see you are still around playing with these things.

Just found this and it should help speed up things with ARP. http://www.redpepper...rp +head +studs

Sure enough Hooper is right. http://arp-bolts.com...p?RecordID=1262

I still question that kit though. Are we sure it works for a A1 and it's not just for the later blocks?

http://lightningmoto...x?itemid=269934 - that's the head stud kit for the A1

zackspeed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

http://lightningmoto...x?itemid=269934 - that's the head stud kit for the A1

Oh I am getting confused lol.  So that other kit should work just fine on a ew 1.5 yes?

iambhooper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 20 F150, 17 JGC Trailhawk, 90 DA Teggy STL Racecar, 92 DA Project, 92 DA Parts Car, 86 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 70 MGB GT project, 73 MGB GT parts car, I have issues!

Oh I am getting confused lol.  So that other kit should work just fine on a ew 1.5 yes?

I went by the part numbers they had listed for my car, figuring they are pretty much the only vendor offering much support for them.

I like to think of myself as more the unathletic Border Collie than the blind squirrel, hyper and slightly spastic.

hoop
greensboro, nc
20 F150, 17 JGC Trailhawk, 90 DA STL Racecar, 92 DA Project, 92 DA parts car, 86 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 70 MGB GT project, 73 MGB GT parts car... I may have issues!

iambhooper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Hooper - when you get the set, please check to see that they could work for the head and the girdle before doing a complete assembly?

Shouldn't I be able to do that with the old head bolts I have?

hoop
greensboro, nc

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Shouldn't I be able to do that with the old head bolts I have?

Only if the threaded portions of the ARP bolts match the stock bolts and they are the same diameter - there may be subtle differences in them that you won't know until you attempt to assemble

iambhooper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I took a look. thread size is the same. any tip on removing the head studs?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
hoop
greensboro, nc

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage

I took a look. thread size is the same. any tip on removing the head studs?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thread 2 nuts on the end of the stud and tighten them into each other, then back the studs out.
Jeff

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Thread 2 nuts on the end of the stud and tighten them into each other, then back the studs out.
Jeff

that plus a whack with a hammer straight down on the top of the stud just to break the corrosion that is inevitable after 25 years of being threaded...doesn't have to be hard, but I guarantee it helps

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Zack - I am confused, you were talking about a ZC motor - the link I sent you was for a ZC motor?  If you are looking for EW, then use the # that hooper used.

iambhooper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Studs are off the block, although I'd till need to get the dowels off the bottom of the head. I would start building thread, but I don't have enough time to take pics.

I plan to freshen the head, and Cameron is going to help me do I light port on the intake side. I still need to figure out how to p&p the intake and plenum.

Some sort of camshaft would be nice.
hoop
greensboro, nc