Lightspeed Racing . . . .

• You cannot reply to this topic
73 replies to this topic

duckorbleed

• . . .it's only illegal if you get caught. . .
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 99 honda civic ex coupe 5speed; 2013 Chevy Cruze
    • Image Gallery
and in reply to sway bars, i vaguely remember where we picked those up from, but i do know they are in the area of my current job. perhaps i will be looking into that as well.....
. . . .you can't piss on what you can't catch. . . .

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (duckorbleed @ Apr 9 2007, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and in reply to sway bars, i vaguely remember where we picked those up from, but i do know they are in the area of my current job. perhaps i will be looking into that as well.....

Roy,

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Lightspeed Racing rear sway bar that I bought from the guy near the Van Nuys airport who was clearing out the last of the inventory looks a lot like the rear sway bar curretnly available from Addco. Is it possible that LS Racing out sourced the sway bars from Addco or Addco's supplier?

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery
The original Lightspeed Sway Bars were Cad Plated and had a Golden color.

I had Lightspeed Sway Bars on my Civic way back in 1985 or 1986.
You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

CSPCRX

Mine was black but I got it in the early 90s.
Lightspeed was part of Automotive Systems Group. They had an Alfa group then the Honda group. I meet the family that owned it, very nice people. As they started to go under they teamed up with JG Engine Dynamics to increase their product line. This is when JG was working with Edelbrock making manafolds for them. This is how I ended up getting a intake manifold from Lightspeed that is marked JG Edelbrock. I had one of the first ones made. It was shortly after this that lightspeed vanished around 2000 or 2001 cant remember exactly. That is what I know about the history.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (HPDE-4 NASA & TA-AB Time Attack)

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

duckorbleed

• . . .it's only illegal if you get caught. . .
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 99 honda civic ex coupe 5speed; 2013 Chevy Cruze
    • Image Gallery
CSPCRX knows the story of lightspeeds demise. Lightspeed merged with JG Engine Dynamics at the same time Edlebrock came into the sport compact car scene.

through all the merging and contracts, lightspeed lost its name and was eventually out of the picture. And yes the Alfa Romeo aftermarket scene is still going, with the same name I believe; AR RICAMBI

not sure about the "addco" but i do know the place we picked the bars themselves up is somewhere off tamps off the 118 fwy, located in the same city as my current job. i thought it was the "swayaway" company, but whatever company is off tamps off the 118 freeway, that be them. all we did is weld on some bracketry and powdercoat them black.
. . . .you can't piss on what you can't catch. . . .

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Sway-away makes torsion bars, Addco makes anti-roll bars. It makes sense that Lightspeed would source from those two places.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

NurburgRinger

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRXSi, '85 Ferrari 308GTS, '99 BMW 528i, '06 MadAss scooter
I would buy 19-23mm torsion bars if somebody would make them. My stock TBs are ready for the pasture, and don't particularly want to go all the way to the 24mm bars of Upgrade Motoring.

Alternatively, has anybody turned down 24mm to a thinner diameter? I realize this could potentially require re-heat treating, and you'd want to avoid any sharp shoulders that would be an area for fatique/sheer failure.

Any news from Lightspeed?

thanks!
Kurt
Philly

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (NurburgRinger @ Apr 18 2007, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would buy 19-23mm torsion bars if somebody would make them. My stock TBs are ready for the pasture, and don't particularly want to go all the way to the 24mm bars of Upgrade Motoring.

Alternatively, has anybody turned down 24mm to a thinner diameter? I realize this could potentially require re-heat treating, and you'd want to avoid any sharp shoulders that would be an area for fatique/sheer failure.

Any news from Lightspeed?

thanks!
Kurt
Philly

19MM?? thats smaller than stock. stock is 20MM

you can use civic 2wd wagon Torsion bar "21mm" shorter then CRX bar, need to use the wagon torque tubes

OR you can use civic wagon 4WD torsion bars "21MM" and these You can use the stock crx torque tubes..

I have 24.5 and I think they are the perfect setup for street.. I would not go any higher than that BUT 24's would be perfect..If you are looking for that low of a MM just upgrade from another car.... cheaper..

NurburgRinger

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRXSi, '85 Ferrari 308GTS, '99 BMW 528i, '06 MadAss scooter
thanks Rare - thought I had read that stock bars were 19mm (also seem to remember that Si bars are the same as non-si CRX bars?).
Maybe I'm being too much of a p#ssy not just plunking down $250 for 24mm bars, h#ll I had tokicos and eibachs on an '89 Taurus SHO I DD drove for 100k miles (but maybe that contributed to my prematurely aging back :/ wink.gif ). But hey money saved here is more money for other silly expenses smile.gif

Good clear info on swappable bars. My worry is that I find a wagon in a boneyard, have a hell of a time pulling them out, then spend way too much time and beer swapping them in, and the things are just as tired and worn as my original ones. I should probably give the TB adjustment screw a turn or two up to see if that will revive them enough to stop bottoming out over mid sized bumps...

appreciate the reply, cheers smile.gif

Kurt

EhBrah

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 88 Teg, 87 XR4Ti, 90&91 Stanza, 89 Cherokee
Just don't bring back the PU adjustable upper strut mounts! hahaha Those sucked but then again most people won't remember those from back in '87. LS offered good performance stuff at reasonable prices, not like some of the overpriced designer stuff that is out today. I was a small dealer back, I remember the illustrated catalogs from back then, and the starburst logo. I think I still have some of those stickers somewhere!

CSPCRX

I was just packing some stuff and found some old cataloges from them as well. Even had body kits for the different Hondas. Bob Endicott helped them develope a lot of their CRX stuff. As mentioned they were well priced and good quality. When everyone else was cutting springs and putting in 500lbs of audio I was buying performance products from them making one heck of a import sleeper. Back then people were still amazed by a well setup import. Not as much now. Well, I still get people who pay my car little attention at the Solo events or strip until they see the car run. Thats what I like so much about them. Few expect it.

WOW I got off topic. LOL

Edited by CSPCRX, 21 May 2007 - 10:09 PM.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (HPDE-4 NASA & TA-AB Time Attack)

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

HellFire-

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Ford Fiesta MK3 1.4i And a Honda CRX 1.5 1985
Cool. I'll buy lots of stuff if they are as good as ppl here say they are.. What would the prices be? I'm think of swaybars, headers, coilovers, torsion etc.. ? ..

PowerWheels86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CIVIC Si
    Garage View Garage
well i'm in... i need a lot of things for my car... and if i can get them cheaper from LS than somewhere else i'll get them from LS...
Dark Side of the Power........
Posted Image

Wheels

QUOTE (RARECRX @ Jun 26 2009, 06:55 PM)
The ONLY BMW's I like are (Beautiful Mexican Women)

Nero

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1999 Dodge Stratus & 1984 Honda CRX DX
    • Image Gallery
I'd be in... but I need to finish the CRX first and then pay off my Stratus. It's hard to get enough money when all i can spend on the car is my the tips i make for washing windows wink.gif
'84 CRX 1st Project - Currently - Stock: Running, Hopefully Daily Soon
'88 Corolla 2nd Project - Currently - Stock: not running
'99 Stratus 3rd Project - Currently - Stock: Running, Daily

eivad1

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx hf and bmw 92
QUOTE (Nero @ May 25 2007, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be in... but I need to finish the CRX first and then pay off my Stratus. It's hard to get enough money when all i can spend on the car is my the tips i make for washing windows wink.gif
but like he said earlier what happened to lightspeed, why did they go out of business