34 replies to this topic

bobdragster

• Without 無限Limit
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1980 Honda Prelude
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (chadm_88 @ May 3 2007, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, that's going to help a lot, thanks!

One thing, I have the crank w/ smaller journals (I think) so what am I going to do about my main bearings? Would undersized ones make up the difference?

It depends, but I think they would.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
convert to 1.5 crank! wacko.gif getting 1.5 rods will be easy and cheap...hell even I have spares!
the gaskets should all be pretty much teh exact same
whats different are the valve stem seals if you have a CVCC engine when trying to use an SI kit

you should invest the extra 50 bux in a brown top head while you're at it as to squeeze a few more hp and MPG from that engine. with that you'd use integra pistons instead which would require boring the cyls out a little... since you were talking about doing that already its no biggy.

if you do a good job with all of this and do a bit of upgrading while you're neck deep with the internals, you should be able to hit 130hp if not more without being too agressive(like going to high comp and cams)
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (chadm_88 @ May 4 2007, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A few questions:
How much of a performance benefit am I going to get with .20 over or .40 over pistons/rings?

Slight improvement there but I think you're going to have a hard time finding 0.020" or 0.040" overbore pistons for your application. Mainly because of the smaller wrist pin you have in the 1.3, Si pistons can't be used unless you go custom (about $450 or higher). You could get by using a standard 1.3 overbore piston but good luck finding anything other than 0.5mm (0.020") oversize. With the low mileage your engine has I'd recommend using the original ones if they're in good shape and hone the cylinders.

The 1.5 gaskets and such will fit my 1.3, right?

Absolutely, and if you're not going to use Honda ones I always go to my local NAPA store too. Even the head gasket the 1.3 & 1.5 have the same bore.

I believe my engine comes with a crank that has slightly smaller journals, would undersized (thicker) bearings compensate for this, or should I get ones specifically for this engine?

Nope, not even close. you have to get the ones for your engine.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

gustav129

• At a racetrack near me....
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 1981 CP Mustang, 1987 Civic Si - R.I.P., 1974 IH Scout II
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (zakats @ May 3 2007, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you should invest the extra 50 bux in a brown top head while you're at it as to squeeze a few more hp and MPG from that engine. with that you'd use integra pistons instead which would require boring the cyls out a little... since you were talking about doing that already its no biggy.

Wait, you can put a brown top head on a EW4 motor? Sweet! Maybe that would be easier than the whole Brown top swap.
Posted Image
Under steer is when you hit the wall with your front end.
Over steer is when you hit the wall with your rear end.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you move the wall.
RGL Motorsports #129

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
yyyep
search for "hydra"
He who dies with the most toys, wins.