New Cam (what Kind?) Gt Pilot Help Me

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

sspcivic31

• Grog no like , Car no work! ARRGH!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
QUOTE (balladeSports @ Dec 25 2003, 09:18 PM)
Funny thing is this is the exact same specs as the Web Cam Inc canshaft.

Web did the regrinds for jackson racing. to compare specs you need to know where the measurements for the cam are taken. ie are they all from .050" lift or are they at some other point.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
The comments about an Air/Fuel meter, a fuel pressure guage and a fuel pressure regulator are all Right On!!!

These three items are essential to tuning a fuel injected CRX. The interesting thing (to me) is that only a small amount of extra fuel pressure is neccesary for most mods you make. I am amused to see guys buying huge fuel pumps, fuel rails, injectors, etc. to "add power" when then usually end up dorwning their engines in unused fuel.

As for the Cam specs, I have found that Honda engineers (and Mugen was a thinly disguised branch of Honda) knew the most about tuning their engines. I am willing to bet that Mugen's lift and duration numbers will give good performance with reasonable streetability.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Airjockie

• I LIKE RED (spray-paint)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
my set up, I had to lower the fuel pressure...down to 21.5 psi...any more, or less and no hp. P&P head, CAI, DC Sports header, Teg injectors, 2.25 exhaust. on a 86 Si ECU...

but that was before turbo....
87 CRX SI, Wide body, and still not running...RB25DET?!?!?!
74 260Z....going to get rebuilt soon....
07 Subaru outback...Daily Driver...

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Airjockie @ Dec 26 2003, 02:28 PM)
my set up, I had to lower the fuel pressure...down to 21.5 psi...any more, or less and no hp.  P&P head, CAI, DC Sports header, Teg injectors, 2.25 exhaust.  on a 86 Si ECU...

but that was before turbo....

You had to lower fuel pressure because you substituted 195cc CRX injectors for 245cc Integra injectors.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

balladeSports

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
I wonder if Web cam would make me a spacific cam to my instructions. the Mugen cam also had diffrent duration #'s for both intake and exhaust, seems like they did more study into the design. Lift .386 Duration 260 intake and 280 exhaust. I'm assuning the #'s I have are from fully closed on the seat. What does from .050" lift mean?
BTW Thanks for all your help in this matter.
Cheers

balladeSports

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Maybe the diffrent Duration #'s have to do with over lap?

sspcivic31

• Grog no like , Car no work! ARRGH!
  • PipPipPipPip
Elgin cams go here and read what they have to say.

Maybe the diffrent Duration #'s have to do with over lap?
probably because you only have the one exhaust valve to empty the chamber.

What does from .050" lift mean?

the cam is measured from .050" lift to .050" from close. most race cams use this method of measure. measurement from full close to full open look bigger so some companies use thta to pump up the numbers.

balladeSports

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Very Intresting. That makes alot of sence Thanks sspcivic31

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
A guy I race with took 2 cams to Colt Cams (Lightspeed , old Mugen one) and the specs that the companies said they were , were not what Colt cams measured.

My point is that some companies measure there cams just a little different , so if in fact you want a cam to do a certain thing then just call the cam company and tell them what you got in the engine and what you want in to rev like.

They make cams for a living wink.gif

Doodson

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx hf w/B18C and a RAM
    • Image Gallery
.050" is also the measurement of lift that the air is actually starting to flow through the valve opening. Make sure you compare apples to apples in these cases. Advertising big numbers goes a long way towards sales. For a street cam, i wouldn't go much more than a 260-270 degree duration or it wont idle as well and you will need more compression to make use of the longer duration.
twitter: @lylehatton

balladeSports

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Well I guess I'll be making a few calls monday and find out what these people can do for me.
Again thanks for the help.
Even though I don't write much, I do visit alot and find the help and information great.
Happy new year.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
For street motors with fairly restrictive intakes, you can run more lift and more duration but try to stay away from a lot of overlap. Overlap makes the motor slugginsh in the bottom end and doesn't start working well until you get into the mid-range. Since the Si intake is pretty restricted, a camshaft with a lot of overlap will be choked in the top end - just where the camshaft wants to do its best work. Try to find out what the lift/durations and lobe centers for the camshaft are before you buy it. You can take a top end camshaft and move the lobe centers to create a camshaft that works much better inthe lower RPM ranges.

A racing camshaft for the PE3 or PE7 head will typically have a little longer duration (and more overlap) than the intake to account for the single exhaust valve...

Kirk

mordantly

• www.morrobaycyclery.com
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '90 Isuzu Impulse XS-Lotus Tuned, '94 Civic LX-EG8 (RIP 05 SEP 2009), '71 SL350-K1, '82 CM450E, '72 Yami LT2, '75 Yami DT400B, '02 cobra racing 50cc
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 24 2003, 02:03 PM)
www.webcam.com has a good selection of cams for the D15A3 engine. You say that you want a good street cam, so the mildest or the next up cam would work for you.

If you want an instant performance improvement, ditch the Integra ECU and go back to your stock ECU. The Integra ECU makes you engine run much too rich.

Scott

im sorry i can't say this is a problem. stock si injectors/fuel pressure, '87 teg puter and she passes smog with readouts so low, most new cars don't run that clean. my si puter was fried so once the tach saw 1500+ you're eyes could see the raw gas spewing a few feet out the tail pipe so she needed a new cat to pass everytime.. luckily only a few years it ran like this so i won't have too jacked up of a block till i rebuild her.
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '11]
1987 CRX SI D15A3 Goal: <12 Sec 1/4

QUOTE (cbstdscott)
There is no replacement for displacement... but dicking with the bottom end of a Honda is not very productive. Put your energy into the head, that is where power is made.

...Dicking with the vacuum lines is not how you adjust ignition timing. That requires loosening the three bolts that hold the distributor and twisting on it.

Scott

ChrisF-dude