Aasco Aluminum Flywheel Weight? And My Debate..

• You cannot reply to this topic
29 replies to this topic

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
I can take a pic of the one I'm not using and post it up later today.

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.
That would be awesome! Thanks!

Smokescreem

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX SI ,2004 CRV EX, 1968 VW BUG, 1955 Porsche Speedster replica
    Garage View Garage

Good info here.. I was just about to do the same thing with a x-tra  flywheel I have in the garage.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip

The one I dropped off is an old rusty spare. I expect good things from a lighter flywheel. I need it. Got third place tonight and had a freaking blast! When Macon is done with mine I will post pix and final weight. Our track moved racing to Friday night so I will have to run another weekend with an open diff.

Did I say this is FUN! I gained a little silver paint tonight in my bid for third. Gives it character.

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery

Sorry I didn't get these posted yesterday. Better late than never though.

This one weighs right around 10 lbs (used an old bathroom scale, you know how accurate those are), this measured 0.802" from the PP mounting surface to the backside.

20140504_181333-1.jpg

Here's a link to the two side view pics.

http://www.redpepper...04_181001-1.jpg

http://www.redpepper...0504_181016.jpg

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Sweet! I forwarded the pix to the machinist. I can't wait to get it back and installed. I resemble my avatar right now.

Thanks again!

EDIT: His necessity to use the crank to balance it is going to work out good. He is also shaving the power steering and A/C pulleys so he will check the crank balance, install and re-check with the shaved pulley, install and re-check with the lightened fly. Again, I reference my avatar....

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
He's got the shaft on the balancer so he's polishing it for $30. Cheapest shaft polish I ever got.

Smokescreem

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX SI ,2004 CRV EX, 1968 VW BUG, 1955 Porsche Speedster replica
    Garage View Garage

Any other updates.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Picked it up today.

image_zps6c26f9df.jpg

12.2 pounds. Im not sure how much it weighed initially. I think it was a couple of pounds heavier than the ew flywheel but the machinist forgot to weigh it. Im technologically impaired and trying to do this from my phone. Ipad is easier. Im way more comfortable with a ratchet than a fucking computer... Sorry.

My bathroom scales are completely worthless under 20#. The EW flywheel has a huge shoulder near the outer edge and weight can more easily be removed. Im pretty happy with how this one turned out. Its .675" thick from the back to the pressure plate mounting surface. If i have the patience, i will add more photos, otherwise, it will be tomorrow before i do.

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
image_zpsfe578048.jpg

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
image_zpsa7947d64.jpg

This is the crank pulley (obviously. Maybe not noticeable in the seat but my brain thinks it will be faster.

Oh ya. The low mile crank i took in so he could balance the fly was bent .0045 on the #3 main journal. .00225 on #2 and #4. Looking at the bearings (rods were perfect) i think it was a factory fuck up. The crank was 3 grams out of balance (probably from the wobble) but zeroed when he bolted on the fly. Turned it 180* and still zero. Another $80 for turning the crank straight and a set of oversized bearings.

Im rambling now but for $180 he cut and balanced the flywheel and crank pulley and polished the crank. Left the crank there to be straightened and re-polished.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

It is the weight that is removed out near the edge that makes the most difference as opposed to the overall weight - the moment of inertia is more greatly affected by getting weight off the outer portion...looks darned good!

Kirk

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
I'm pleased with how it turned out. With the new setup, I'll have to watch my revs and make sure I don't outrun third gear. The motor is stock and I want to keep it together.

Mark L

I know this is a bit late, but here are a few pics of my lightened flywheel from my old ew4. IT was right around 12 lbs.

ew4_flywheel_bottom.jpg

ew4_flywheel_edge.jpg

ew4_flywheel_front.jpg

1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
I asked him the 45* the square edge behind the ring gear shoulder like yours. I think there was a few more ounces there but i was content with 12.2