• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

PHAT87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si NH-94M
    Garage View Garage
I'm no "expert" on the FIV, but I think the Black Plastic Poppet Seat is supposed to be
screwed all the way down, not real real tight down, but until it bottoms.
In one of those other threads it talks about it backing out and causing problems.
Glad to hear it's getting better, yeah a good clean poslished brass cone tip so it seals when closed.

Yes, with the "Lid" off some sucking sound will still be heard even when it's closed / warm.
The "normal" idle speed bypass air goes through the same cavity.
But there should be no air going through the center black poppet seat when warm / closed.
Warmed up with the lid off, you can stick your finger on top of the black poppet seat
and it should not change the idle speed once warm and the main bypass is closed if it's working correctly.

Recently replaced mine with a used one from a yard, it worked when first put on.
Then it started acting up after a couple months until I sprayed a little WD-40 down in there.
Think I had it too clean and the central metal shaft was sticking in the smaller lower black plastic
center shaft "guide", the one on the shaft down below the top screw in poppet seat.
The old one I took off, someone had "spaced up" the poppet to force it closed at all times
with a small freeze plug down inside of it at the very bottom which stopped it "hunting" at idle
but cold idle was low and a "hassle" until it warmed up, but it did stop the "hunting".
Good idea I thought in a pinch to get it to work until fixing it correctly.

Just got my '87 Si late January this year and it's the same Quartz Silver.

Posted Image
If it's got wheels or tatas, it's gonna consume time and money

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
Good Info, I like the blacked out phone dials too man sweet

brutus76

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 2002 WRX, @2000 cummins Ram, 87 CRX Si
My next project is to locate some Wagovan Torsion bars. I saw one on the freeway today that wasn't taken care of. I wanted to follow it till it broke down.