Project "crxxx

• You cannot reply to this topic
63 replies to this topic

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 85 crx si, 86 crx dx (deceased)
Alright, I have the rears on. Now she's got a tight ass!

1GEN_SI86

• Homina Homina HOMINA!!!! POW right in the kisser
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic CRX SI
    Garage View Garage
nice looking rex man! may be a bit late to the project but was enjoyable taking a look at the pics. Nice to see another starving College student with a rex sprucing it up bit by but biggrin.gif

ph34r.gif

take care! good luck!

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks 1GEN_SI86.

So, after having some trouble with the rear shocks, the fronts were cake. Just a little trouble with old hardware, which I guess was the only problem with the rears. Anyways, so far I like the blues. At first they were hard and loud, but now I would say they are firm. blink.gif wink.gif

I have decided that the next thing I will do is to swap out the brakes. I'll get rear discs from the integra, and either just do a rotor/caliper swap in the front or do the whole integra front swap because I've got a bad cv joint. I guess it depends on what I can find. biggrin.gif

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
So heres a small update:

I bought a USDM carb off ebay...$20 shipped! It needs some love, and I am rebuilding it and preparing it for devaccing. I will also try and do some of eldo's mods to it. Im starting to get excited about and eldo style turbo setup....we'll see.

I also bought a cheap ebay front strut tower bar, and it surprisingly tightens up the turns a whole lot. Got the tip from Vitamin J's project. Thanks!

Last weekend I went to chicago, and got 42 mpg average! Very excited about that. I was doing a lot of drafting and I think at one point I was pushing 45!

I also got some distasteful 17 enkei rs6 rims....they were only 140 with decent tires. Anyways, I had them on for a few days but they screwed fuel economy, performance, and (I would say) looks. So Im getting rid of them as we speak, definitely making profit. I've been thinking about buying some lightweight 13"s from another member here.

Thats about all right now, I've been busy at work and school (chinese class). Still looking for teg brake stuff. Oh and I think in a few months I can get my hands on some oem louvers! I love the looks of those. Its just a few states over, so I'll have to make a road trip out of it.

poopshovel

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 86 CRX Si w/turbo D16 in the works.
Car looks cool! I'm definitely jealous of the gas mileage. I dig the stock wheel (covers) painted.

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks. Yeah I like the wheel covers as well. I am going to buy some very light 13" rims though. I am hoping that this will help my mpg and performance, but I think I will still use the stock wheels in the winter.

Well, the crxxx started making a funny noise today. Its a squeeky screeching metal on metal noise....and I found out what it was. mad.gif

The radius arm bolts were broken off on both sides, and it was touching the axles to make the noise. Anyways, Ill have some pics up tonight, hopefully a before and after.

One thing I am worried about is the bushings...the bottoms are gone, although I still have the tops. The tops are not in good shape. Anyways, we have a bunch of old skateboard bushings around, many hardnesses and a little size variety. Any idea on what hardness would work? Or if it matters all that much as just long as the radius arm is connected? Because honestly, the I didnt notice anything wrong other than the noise....

Thanks,
Patrick

EDIT:

Ok here was the problem:

And here it is back together with some red bushings for increased performance:

I want to know if this is ok. I took out some original bushings, and the radius arm bolted closer than it originally was. It feels fine to me?

Edited by P-Tail, 12 July 2008 - 09:49 AM.

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Small update:

I got a few more things:
Addco front and rear sway bars. I put the front in and its pretty nice, but my muffler is in the way of the rear, so I'll have to reroute that, or most likely pay someone to reroute it.
I've added a b pillar bar from JEM motorsports here on rpr, and a crude yet effective rear shock tower bar. The shock tower bar stiffened the back right up, and the b pillar bar is a little less noticable. I think my chassis is plenty stiff now, but the problem is the rear axle, and I just need to get that rear sway bar in.

I blew out a cv joint, and changed the whole axel. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I payed $60 shipped for a re manufactured one off ebay that didn't have a core return policy, so I have a drivers side core if anyone wants one to rebuild.

I've been gathering parts for the swap to recessed headlights, and I went to put them in when I realized I had the wrong buckets. So if anyone has the 84-85 headlight buckets, I would love to take them off your hands.

I've been experimenting with rims and Im back on the 13" ones again but without the covers. If it only had a zc it would be a straight sleeper. Speaking of zc's, I'm saving up for a zc swap. I've acquired a zc trans and polished intake so far, but I plan to snatch up cheap deals and start some real work next summer. Im still deciding whether or not to build or buy. I am planning on eventual boost. Any thoughts on build vs buy with turbo in mind?

Oh I also did the integra big brake swap. I got all brand new oem parts off ebay, payed 90 shipped, probably too much blink.gif but they look really nice. I painted the calipers red unsure.gif but under the steel wheels its very subtle.

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Last weekend I went to Il. to get some parts from a member here, Dustin. He is parting out a red crx and was very helpful. I picked up some clean louvers, a non si wing and a rear body piece. Also, I found someone who is selling a dohc zc with trans intake most things, I think the distributor is gone and a few odd things, but for $175!!! I really want to get it, but I am about to move back to school and my parents are not wanting an engine hanging around. So I am unsure of what to do. Its a great deal, the engine seems straight, so hopefully I can change my parents minds... dry.gif

EDIT: by the way, I hit a new mileage record! This was on mobil gas, which seems to be the best gas so far, I think its low on ethenol. 47 mpg! Driving average 65-70, even without drafting!

Also, my camera batts are dead again...so pics of the louvers tomorrow

Edited by P-Tail, 27 August 2008 - 08:40 PM.

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
So today I converted to recessed headlights! Nice! Big thanks to Shamgar aka wyclefcupcake for the hookup with the lights, thanks a lot man, very helpful. Also thanks to sonichris for making a writeup about the conversion. The writeup was a huge help! Man I love these headlights! Shamgar hooked me up with some really bright lamps, too. They are great!
Heres some pictures:

Someone punched out my crx!

They need some tweaking still, but they look really good. Also, I have some parts left over as well as a kit to go from recessed to flush, so if you need them I've got them wink.gif

Edited by P-Tail, 30 August 2008 - 01:08 AM.

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
They even work in the dark!

HF rear drums

Integra front brakes

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Louvers and wing (not yet installed). The top of the louvers are secured well, all like its supposed to be, but for the bottom I only stuck some adhesive pads to keep it from banging. It makes no noise at all and is very secure, but I will sometime figure out a way to make it more like it was intended rather than ghetto. Also for the time being I will trim those pads and sharpy them black.

I'm undecided on the wing. At first I really liked the idea of it, but I've gotten used to just the louvers, and the wing seems out of place now.. blink.gif Any thoughts on it?

Oh yeah and I got this body piece, that strip in the back. It is in great shape, just a tiny bit of surface rust near a couple of the mounting points. The piece I have is beat!

I go back up to school this weekend, so in a few weeks I should have at least some prototypes for rebadging.

Edited by P-Tail, 30 August 2008 - 01:12 AM.

Christ

• Parting out my '86 Si. Need anything?
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1989 Civic DX 4-Door - dead, parting out.
My two cents:

The louvers are totally old school... stick with them.

The spoiler, not so much... makes the hatch too "cluttered".

The headlight swap wasn't my personal favorite, I'm a big fan of flush mounts, but hey, it's your car... although I found the partial swap pic amusing... looks like your CR-X got a black eye... (The one w/ only one flush mount.)

Honestly, no matter what 'teg motor you get, it's probably best to rebuild it, considering the kind of mileage they all have now. Especially if you're serious about boosting... never recommended on a motor that hasn't at least been seriously checked over.

Best of luck, hope all goes well for you.
How about we just agree to respect each other's opinion?Even though yours is so obviously wrong...
Click here to see how I basically gave my car away to another RPR member!

1GEN_SI86

• Homina Homina HOMINA!!!! POW right in the kisser
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic CRX SI
    Garage View Garage
wow looks good, yeah have to agree, with the louvers the wing could come off, I never liked the recessed lights, mine has flush but i dunno ur Rex pulls it off great! thanks for the updates biggrin.gif i like to watch the progress tongue.gif

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Hey thanks guys. Yeah, I've decided not to use the wing. Progress has been slow with school and such. I've just been gathering parts for the swap slowly. Hopefully I will get a head and some money and do some work on that over the winter break. Thats the plan at least. Engine swap this summer!

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
Very nice Sir! I always wanted some louvers and a wing like that, I found the wing, but have not been able to locate a decent set of louvers!
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation