33 replies to this topic

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
B seems to be the popular answer, so I'll fall in line.

NJMUGENCRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
i know completion is still a ways off but marcus how long after this is done do i have to wait for my plain hood?
-Roger

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
can you cleanly fab in a slot on the bottom, for breathing purposes. i mean, i hate to be the defiant one, but honda did leave some room there for a reason.

i was actually wondering what you were gunna do about the grille a while back...personally, i dont like the idea of sheilding air from the radiator....what do the 2nd gen hoods do???

from the pictures i have they just leave a small <1" gap between hood and bumper. that seems to be the most logical, and at the same time asthetically pleasing solution.

so i'm not shure if this is A, B , or C....but i say forget the grille if it's too hard.. and leave a small gap above the bumper.

Tony.
(who will go take a closer look and post if his opinion changes)
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
well i took a closer look, and i really think there should be some sort of ventilation to the top of the radiator (my ZC runs hot as it is...) i think the best thing to do (and best looking) would be to have the hood come all the way down to the bumper (at least 1/4 inch above, for clearance) and make a slot far enoung above that so the piece close to the bumper doesn't lose strength (maybe a little bit of metal reinforcement here?? i dont know the properties of carbon fibre that well, but a metal "handle" would make me feel better).

please let em know how this sounds , other buyers also, and also how fesable it is.

thanks,
Tony
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    Garage View Garage
Well, I think that I feel that the "B" option is better aesthetically and the cooling effciency lost is going to be negligable. I was feeling the same as you were, as my car runs hot most of the time (I have a turbo and an UNDERsized radiator). But 90% or the airflow to the radiator comes from the lower grille in the bumper. I wouldn't think deleting the slot there would effect your cooling a whole lot.

I am still planning on asking him to extend the hood all the way down to the bumper, leaving maybe a 1/4" gap, like any noremal body seam.

NJMUGEN--With luck, the hoods will be done in 2 weeks. All will ship at that time. I am hoping to get my car to Sunny next Monday, and I am hoping he'll be done by the following Monday.

I will be looking for the remainder of everyone's money in 1 week!

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
cool i need my damn hood bad..... metal hood getting mor effed daily

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
i think that will look funny, as it won't really follow the lines set up by the headlights. and i think the more air the better....but it's your call.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Well, took some pics today. Lookin good, although so far it is set up for option A. I am thinking option A will end up being the way it goes, and I think it looks good.

You can download the pics from:

http://roadracer87.h..._piece_hood.zip

Yeah, you'll need to unzip it, but you can suffer a little I think smile.gif

There are a couple gratuitous turbo shots there, as I could not help myself having such good access to it. Whattaya think?

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Dude, what kind of radiator is that? I didn't know that you could get half sized ones in our first gens!

Gasoline Fumes

QUOTE (Disco Stu @ Mar 25 2003, 12:20 AM)
Dude, what kind of radiator is that? I didn't know that you could get half sized ones in our first gens!

Probably the HF radiator.

87CRXSiR

• But It's A Dry Heat
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si
Marcus, You're right, option A does look good. My only problem is that piece on my current header panel is broken. This header panel is just going to continue to f**k me. After I buy the hood I'll need to buy another header panel for that piece. It's like my header panel's telling me, "You can't replace me"

Whatever you and the rest of the group decides is what I'll go with.
DM
PHX, AZ

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Whoa, your header panel really has it in for you! I think any used one will ge fine in the grille area. Typically, used ones are no good since they are cracked too, but getting a used one with a decent grille should not be too tough, or expensive.

Half-sized radiator rits great but sux for cooling. My car is constantly hot. I don't think it has as much to do with the width as it does that the rad is single core. I am thinking about gettting a custom dual core made with those tanks.

If anyone wants a single-core haft width radiator that fits good and has metal end tanks, I can get them for about $100.

87CRXSiR

• But It's A Dry Heat
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si
QUOTE (MrDisibility @ Mar 25 2003, 03:15 PM)
I am thinking about gettting a custom dual core made with those tanks.

Hmmm, sounds like the next group buy. Single core sucks in AZ. Thank goodness for Royal Purple.

I want a dual core rad!!!
DM
PHX, AZ

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Hey man, it is totally do-able....I am down. I need one myself. And how easy will it be to replace once we get our custom hoods on? Hehe.

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
so you're planning on bolting the plastic grille to the hood??

how do we open it without breaking it....obvious answer is carefully....but i get less careful as the day progresses. maybe we can flip the grille over and bolt it the bumper?? that sounds like the best answer.

Tony
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC