My Itb Thread

• You cannot reply to this topic
100 replies to this topic

Christ

• Parting out my '86 Si. Need anything?
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1989 Civic DX 4-Door - dead, parting out.
QUOTE (JU5TIN @ Dec 3 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
P.S. can i bring your shirt by on saturday afternoon

... weird... this falls under the DA-DT policy. Don't ask, Don't Tell.
How about we just agree to respect each other's opinion?Even though yours is so obviously wrong...
Click here to see how I basically gave my car away to another RPR member!

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (ef91 @ Dec 3 2008, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i heard it is kinda hard to tune itb's without a stand alone ecu...

Not that I know anything, but it seems to me that the stock ECU should be OK. As long as I feed it MAP and TPS info it should be OK. But then again, what do I know?

As for the TPS, I can either use an old Honda TPS (I have an extra) or source a similar piece. The rumor de jure is that the Honda motorcycle TPS uses the same values as the car TPS and that can be adapted.

But I still have to source an intake manifold...

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
what a great idea Scott. Everybody (myself included) uses larger pistons, turbo, nitrous, etc... to make power with the old EW's/D15. I'd love to see just what they are capable of in near stock trim while improving on their natural weak spots.

-Subscribed biggrin.gif

alexm86

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si - Greek White, 2005 Convertible Mustang, 1995 Ford F150 XLT (5.8L/351W)
Scott,

I have looked into this too and have read up on it. You should use some CBR ITB's b/c the tps signal is more compatible with the stock Honda based computers (and Hondata & Chrome). You can try the stock computer or an Integra computer and see how it does, but don't expect it to run great. You really need to go OBD (or Megasquirt) if you want it to run right. No AFC or playing with fuel pressure is going to work well with ITB's. The stock Honda computer primarily uses the map sensor/vacuum to determine how much fuel the engine needs. ITB's have little to no vacuum signal, so programs like Hondata (Chrome too) have an ITB setting and use throttle position to tell the computer how much fuel to add. If you want to go low budget and get Chrome to tune with, be aware that some shops in LA do not tune Chrome b/c of its glitches (i.e. Bisimoto). Chrome is free, what do people expect? Also, someone is selling a whole Megasquirt system in the FS section here. You may want to take a look at it.

I live in LA and have an extra Si Intake if you want to buy it. IDK how much to sell it for.

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
ITB's are a bitch and a half to tune without a full standalone. Tuning ITB's off a MAP is close to impossible, most standalones have ITB tools that basicly ignore the MAP and run only on the TPS.

And yea the CBR TPS is the same as the Honda motors.
Posted Image

ibcnya

• HNFTuning
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: his girlfriend crazy
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 3 2008, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not that I know anything, but it seems to me that the stock ECU should be OK. As long as I feed it MAP and TPS info it should be OK. But then again, what do I know?

Scott

Maybe you could try a Integra ecu..... laugh.gif ...... huh.gif sorry, couldnt help myself.

Vicious

TURBO"D B SERIES

laugh.gif i kid i kid just busting your balls. i'll be following this to see what problems you run into since i saw the same page a few weeks ago and wanted to do the same thing just without headaches

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (alexm86 @ Dec 3 2008, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I live in LA and have an extra Si Intake if you want to buy it. IDK how much to sell it for.

I have one coming in the mail, thanks anyway.

Scott

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (DEIVIONCRX @ Dec 3 2008, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ITB's are a bitch and a half to tune without a full standalone. Tuning ITB's off a MAP is close to impossible, most standalones have ITB tools that basicly ignore the MAP and run only on the TPS.

I will consult with Slavteren, he has put ITBs on an old school Civic.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

VaporParanoia

• Low Budget Billionaire
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX,05 Honda CRV, My Wife Up a Wall
glad to see there's someone else looking into this other than me.... except mine will be with the fabled LS/Vtec

either way i'm thoroughly interested in this thread
"Horsepower sets how fast you hit the wall. Torque sets the size of the hole."

"... the motor car was poetry and tragedy, love and heroism." - Sinclair Lewis

Your car is an eminently replaceable mass production inanimate object that doesn't give a fuck about you.

"...Twas hard the woeful words to frame; To break the ties that bound us; But harder still to bear the shame; Of foreign chains around us..." - Robert Dwyer Joyce

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (DEIVIONCRX @ Dec 3 2008, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So even a chipped P06, or something like that is not practical? I didn't realize that.

David
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
chipped p06 data logger and a wide band can do this on the cheap

the runner do need to be pretty long to improve torque on the car lets face it that is what you want.

my idea have either the itb body or the air inlet sucking in from right in front of the windsheild
nawamsayin
huge runners itbs sitting in the wipertray

Edited by Ghost-One, 04 December 2008 - 01:19 AM.

Christ

• Parting out my '86 Si. Need anything?
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1989 Civic DX 4-Door - dead, parting out.
QUOTE (firstgencrx @ Dec 4 2008, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So even a chipped P06, or something like that is not practical? I didn't realize that.

David

a chipped anything would work, if you wanna tune with crome or something.

Ive seen guys use Honda ECU's with GM products... so I'm pretty sure you can figure out how to tune for ITB's.

Edited by Christ, 04 December 2008 - 01:19 AM.

How about we just agree to respect each other's opinion?Even though yours is so obviously wrong...
Click here to see how I basically gave my car away to another RPR member!

3gStreetRacing

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 honda civic GL
Hey scott

From my experience it would be best to go with an aftermarket computer set up when running itb's
it will cause you more money and more heart ache when trying to tune the thing from the stock ecu using map sensor and tps
You yourself always have the attitude of if your going to do it, do it properly and i think this is the way to go with your idea of running itbs
also tuning the itbs across the entire rev range with the aftermaket computer will unlock alot of peak power and torque
i think you would be suprised at the difference between that and tuning off the stock ecu ( however i dont think the stock ecu in ew4 has much tuneability )

just my two cents

marcus

slavteren

• pervertet 17" lover!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 civic zc - 86 crx zc - 87 civic racecar
    • Image Gallery
i would use a carbed intake, then you dont have to do magic on the holes for injectors.

we roughly tuned it to run on a secu gold ecu, using vacum. the trick is to have the vacum go through a couple of fuelfilters to even out the signal. alså recomended for the distibutor vacum.
i think we spend a couple of days, but most of the time where used on getting familliar with the system, and corecting self-made faults.

a guy here in denmark are able to reprogramme ew and zc1 ecus, so it is possible.

don't forget, that alone the position of the injectors farther away from the valve gives a litle power in the high end, and robs in the low end...
My beloved civic

My life

user posted image

the most important weapon- is the heart af the worrior.