• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2004 Subaru FXT
QUOTE (REXSI86 @ Dec 15 2011, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Duh, just realized you wrote about the engine being rebuilt and having issues. Are you going to keep the D15A3 or do a swap?

Initially I'm going to stay with the current setup and focus on finishing up the car.

Elliot
Posted Image

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Blacktop Swap, 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD, 2012 Toyota Rav4
    Garage View Garage
i know my car makes a lot of noise and most of it from the valves, on a fresh rebuild your probably going to smoke some for a bit for the first 500 miles or so. What exactly is the car doing?
The Original CR-Z driver

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
QUOTE (asianflava @ Dec 15 2011, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another jealous reader. I've been looking for one for a few months now. A white Si that is.

This car has quite a bit more risk that the car in NJ that we discussed. I definitely would have sent you this lead if I thought you would have been interested. If I assumed incorrectly, shoot me a PM as I'm still keeping an eye out for you.

I couldn't let Jay put it on EBay and not keep in in the RPR family.

Elliot

Posted Image

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
QUOTE (JEA86 @ Dec 16 2011, 07:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i know my car makes a lot of noise and most of it from the valves, on a fresh rebuild your probably going to smoke some for a bit for the first 500 miles or so. What exactly is the car doing?

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. I was planning on pulling the plugs to check out their status.

I can't recall if Jay posted this but the noise is not apparent at startup/cold idle. It seems to come into play once the engine has warmed and the car is at idle. The noise is distinctly different from valve chatter but I guess I'll have to pull the valve cover to truly find out.

Elliot
Posted Image

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I would start by rechecking the valve gap with the engine cold. Easy enough job. Though I can't picture the noise getting worse at warm temp.. Do you know what weight oil is in it? Maybe get a pressure gauge on it. If the pressure at the top is too low at op temp there may be an issue with that part that maintains pressure, I know on my Ford it is a ball and spring and if not installed right it would cause low pressure at the lifters once the oil was to operating temp, not 100% how it is on a Honda.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Project update

Car is now registered, inspected and is in the garage. January was a hectic month on the job so no work was performed. I did source some used replacement struts for the hatch and will try to refinish the casing prior to installation which will coincide with the sunroof panel replacement.

Yesterday son#2 began his first task, the replacement of the passenger door handle. Armed with the print outs of the FSM (thanks again Screech!), a plethora of screwdrivers and a fabricated hook made from a hanger he tried the task. He had a lot of difficulty removing the clip for the window crank handle so Dad had to step in. Three and a half hours later he accomplished his first repair. We are missing one of the large self tapping screws which we will have to source. If anyone has an extra, please let me know.

I contacted American Honda this week and registered as the current owner of the car. The seat belts don't retract and hope to receive warranty replacements, if available. Will bring to local dealer for inspection hopefully next Saturday if schedule permits.

Engine is on hold for now. Next up for the boy is refinishing the wiper arms, front lip and hatch struts. I have to look at the splash shields that Jay provided and see if I have hardware for installation.

Elliot

Posted Image

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (E-Man @ Feb 5 2012, 05:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are missing one of the large self tapping screws which we will have to source. If anyone has an extra, please let me know.
Elliot

Elliot,

Do you mean the ones that go into the arm rest? Black about 1 1/4" long and 1/8" thick? If you are stuck I have a couple but I would think you could source something equivalent in most hardware stores. Could have stuck one in a packet I just sent to my daughter in NYC. She could have dropped it off at your office. Let me know. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
Great Story Eman and great find. Glad the two of you are working these cars together for some great bonding.

D
Keepin' it OEM