Cai On A Weber Carb Setup?

• You cannot reply to this topic
59 replies to this topic

zeroclearance

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx
if you would relocate the battery do you think there would be enough room to put the filter down to the hole in the front bumper?

i was thinking of putting a hood scoop on mine and makeing a plate so i have ram air but i cant figure out a filter system... the only thing i can thing of is a carb sock.

Edited by zeroclearance, 20 March 2005 - 01:33 PM.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
QUOTE (zeroclearance @ Mar 20 2005, 01:32 PM)
if you would relocate the battery do you think there would be enough room to put the filter down to the hole in the front bumper?

i was thinking of putting a hood scoop on mine and makeing a plate so i have ram air but i cant figure out a filter system... the only thing i can thing of is a carb sock.

Ram air only works over 100 m.p.h., so it may be more trouble than it's worth. You won't hit those speeds in any type of racing in these cars except for maybe road racing.

I think your CAI system under the bumper would be better. I don't think you have to relocate the battery. It's not a tough or expensive job to do that.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (87crxguy @ Mar 18 2005, 11:09 PM)
hey where did you get your weber and IM and how much did they set you back????????????

Got it a long time ago from a guy in Canada... set me back 300usd.

You can get dcoes from http://www.piercemanifolds.com and they will run 1000+ for the kit. Of course there is always ebay or the RPR classifieds.

OmegaMugen, nice work on the dpfi housing adapter!
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (CRXfanatic @ Mar 21 2005, 08:08 AM)
OmegaMugen, nice work on the dpfi housing adapter!

Thanks, bud.

84crx06

• 85crx06
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 crx
to 73hp,
here is the link.
http://www.pierceman...om/products.htm

84crx06

• 85crx06
  • PipPip
So, what would be the best thing to do as far as a CAI? How could I get more hood clearence if needed? O,yeah. I'm asking Omega mugen, how did you make that tight ass intake system? Help me out!! How much power do you get.

what about the Si head swap?? How much power can I get out of it??

What else could I use if the bonnet doesn't fit so that I could hook up a CAI??
Anything??

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (84crx06 @ Mar 21 2005, 01:50 PM)
So, what would be the best thing to do as far as a CAI? How could I get more hood clearence if needed? O,yeah. I'm asking Omega mugen, how did you make that tight ass intake system? Help me out!! How much power do you get.

Anything??

I'd go with the Civic DPFI plenum. It's not that hard to fabricate and it'll be cheaper because these are so common. Plus, it looks way better. I got a lot more power from this mod. It's tough to say how much, and from what exactly because I changed the carb, intake and k+N filter all at once. I was running the stock carb and setup with a paper filter before. If you do this, you need to put some money and time into tuning the carb or it won't be worth it. I'd set up your CAI as a true CAI under the bumper if you can.

This fit under the hood by just a fraction of an inch. The Pierce one looks too tall, but it's hard to tell from the picture.

Si head will be worthwhile too, guaranteed.

edit* Imagine replacing the straight steel tube for a carbon fiber tube. It can be done.

Edited by Omega Mugen, 21 March 2005 - 02:50 PM.

73hp

• i go fast...well i try to...
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 civic, 97 mpv, '91 teg, AH-64 Apache...
    • Image Gallery
will forcing air change the fuel mixture? how are you compensating for the everchanging mix due to the different amounts of air being intaked? i posted something rearding this inthe carbs forum> i am doing something similar just different...read please
damn exhaust shop cracked my header... i need one badly...anyone got 1 for sale......lemme know pls.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (73hp @ Mar 21 2005, 06:43 PM)
will forcing air change the fuel mixture? how are you compensating for the everchanging mix due to the different amounts of air being intaked? i posted something rearding this inthe carbs forum> i  am doing something similar just different...read please

There is no everchanging mix--at least not a significant one. Ramming is insignificant under 100 m.p.h. The carb is tuned for cold air and the free flowing air filter. Any shortcomings of this set up are are same as carbs in general. From what I have read, FI out performs properly tuned carbs my a very narrow margin.

What was the title of your previous post?

73hp

• i go fast...well i try to...
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 civic, 97 mpv, '91 teg, AH-64 Apache...
    • Image Gallery
http://www.redpepper...pic=16704&st=15

very similar...im not sure how it will work..but ive got the parts...dont laugh, but last year, i paid 300 for a "electric s/c"....but its not the plastic ones.its all metal, and puts out about 850 cfm...i think ill tryit with the setup mentioned on this link.

its post 23

Edited by 73hp, 21 March 2005 - 07:35 PM.

damn exhaust shop cracked my header... i need one badly...anyone got 1 for sale......lemme know pls.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Let us know how that works out for you, man. Good luck.

84crx06

• 85crx06
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Omega Mugen @ Mar 21 2005, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (84crx06 @ Mar 21 2005, 01:50 PM)

Anything??

I'd go with the Civic DPFI plenum. It's not that hard to fabricate and it'll be cheaper because these are so common. Plus, it looks way better. I got a lot more power from this mod. It's tough to say how much, and from what exactly because I changed the carb, intake and k+N filter all at once. I was running the stock carb and setup with a paper filter before. If you do this, you need to put some money and time into tuning the carb or it won't be worth it. I'd set up your CAI as a true CAI under the bumper if you can.

This fit under the hood by just a fraction of an inch. The Pierce one looks too tall, but it's hard to tell from the picture.

Si head will be worthwhile too, guaranteed.

edit* Imagine replacing the straight steel tube for a carbon fiber tube. It can be done.

uh, this may sound stupid, but what does DPFI mean and what is a civic DPFI plenum? I'm new to the 1G crx scene. lol

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
DPFI= Dual Piont Fuel injection from 88-91 DX and HF Civics and CRXs, widely regarded as inferior to multipoint fuel injection.

84crx06

• 85crx06
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Omega Mugen @ Mar 22 2005, 02:48 PM)
DPFI= Dual Piont Fuel injection from 88-91 DX and HF Civics and CRXs, widely regarded as inferior to multipoint fuel injection.

How do I go with the civic DPFI and can you draw or make me up some plans for this intake idea or some plans for the one you made, including materials and parts, etc...
Thanks alot!!!

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I don't have anything drawn up. Sorry, man. I would give you plans but I have to work full time and go to school and now auto cross season has started. I don't have much time. What I do have is a masonite prototype mock up for the carb-to-plenum adapter. This would be for a Weber DMTR of DATRA only.