Should 1st/3rd Gens Come With A Warning?

• You cannot reply to this topic
44 replies to this topic

87RedSI

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '92 Civic DX Hatchback and an '87 CRX Si
I believe you're right Scott.

So many kids nowadays want to just go fast right out of the box. Bolt on here, bolt on there, done. When they make a decision to pick a 1G/3G, they're buying it for the name. But to get what you want out of these cars you have to have a certain degree of patience and know-how, which most people don't, especially those un-familiar with later gens. Instead of being looked at by how they perform, the basis is money spent (to most, this is a factor). Having the lack of support these cars do, they just become a money pit, and for the something-teen kid that picks one up they're stuck in limbo. I think the best way to say it is as it has already been stated, "True enthusiasts only", because no kid with a short attention span and a shallow pocket is going to consider it as anything but a 20 year old car.

I wished I hadn't bought my 92 Civic hatch. I thought maybe I could make something unique out of it, but quickly lost that point a few months later when my town was swarming with 'em. Knowing what I know now about cars and process, I could have built a nice door slammer 1G/3G. I find these cars as more of a challenge. When you build something that takes more time, effort, and patience, you gain a deeper respect for what you have accomplished. Not that the Civic couldn't be that, but I'd rather be different.

DarkHand

QUOTE (87RedSI @ Jan 24 2007, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So many kids nowadays want to just go fast right out of the box.

I agree, that's where the fault lies. Kids are used to new cars that are seemingly maintenance free. When everything is new, cars basically ARE maintenance free in their early years. ANY 20 year old car is worn out and will need lots of money to keep it going.

That '07 Civic will be just as much trouble to keep running in 2027 as our cars are now. A little perspective goes a long way. smile.gif

Edited by DarkHand, 24 January 2007 - 10:19 AM.

DarkHand

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: from point 'A' to point 'B' daily.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (etmydst @ Jan 24 2007, 06:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BOTTOM LINE.. dont race what you drive, and drive what you race!!! and dont use a 20 year old car as a daily driver/commuter and expect for it to run like a 2007 with no quirks..

1...If you want a 1g/3g CRX/civic as a TOY/PROJECT by all means HAVE ANOTHER CAR for daily driving.. SCOTT DOES, I DO, AS DO MOST PEOPLE that never say their cars are piles of shit also do...

2...I hear a lot of crx owners complain.. "mine always breaks down, or burns the clutch, or bends the valves.or blows the headgaskets.." what you dont tell us is that you bounce it off the rev limiter 7 days a week every time you drive it, and jam it into gear and pop the clutch like your in a 69 cutlass 442 4speed at the dragstrip...."

3...or my crx has all kind of electrical bugs!! but what you fail to tell us is ... "well a fuse blew and I used some soldering wire to replace it" or "I spliced and jimmy rigged all kinds of wires cause i was too lazy to do it the correct way"

4...If you buy a $500 crx expect a $500 crx nothing else..
5...To all people!!!! take the time to check your fluids daily/at the end of the day..it takes 5 minutes at most!I do it every time before and after I drive mine I do it to every car I own..!! If you have a exxon valdez oil leak FIX IT yes you will spin a bearing eventually if not fixed, If you have a overheating problem FIX IT ASAP dont let it go for weeks then bitch how you blew a headgasket..if the clutch has 100,000 miles dont moan about it going out..
6....99% of bitching is caused by OPERATOR ERROR/LAZINESS , or bad inspection upon buying the car,improper maintenance,... all the people that complain about the problems their car has..sit back and think...was it my fault???? yes some things can happen but thats th 1% lol...

Yes...yes...yes...yes...yes...and yes!

I concur 100% on all points; number 1. being the most important to be able to enjoy these "kakaboxes" (pun intended!).

IMO, the 1/3g's are great hobby cars to learn how to fix, maintain, and modify. However, it's very hard to do that if you have to rely on it for a dd. Follow 'rule' #1. above and you'll enjoy your 1/3g much more. I would never consider buying the typical used 1/3g w/o already having a reliable dd.

d15a3power

I agree, this needs to be a 2nd car, also the warning label could add:

BE PREPARED TO DO RESEARCH, ASK QUESTIONS, AND ABANDON ANY PRE-CONCEIVED NOTIONS. HONESTLY ASSESS YOUR MECHANICAL SKILLS, BUDGET, AND GOALS FOR THIS CAR; THEN PROCEED WITH DUE DILIGENCE.

I'm happy with my car, BTW. biggrin.gif
May thru November only.
Rust never sleeps.

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
I love my CRXs. That said I would never have a 20+ year old car for a daily driver no matter what the make and model. My 85si has just over 125K miles on it, and I still really dont trust it as an EVERYDAY driver. OLD STUFF BREAKS.

I really like the fact that these cars arent as easy to mod as later hondas. It makes them unique which is very important to me. EVERYTHING has been done on every civic 88+ and who really cares anymore?

Also I agree with one of the above posters. There is almost no other car that is easier to work on than a 1G/3G. Everything is simple! With a FSM and a decent set of tools there isnt much you cant do. About the only things that can be a royal pain in the ass on our cars is: Rust, changing T-bars (if its the first time), and getting that damn bitch pin out of the shift linkage!!!

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
I used to use my old white 87 CR-X as a daily driver for 3 years. 240,000 miles the only problem i really had was the ignition wire harness was faulty. Keep it maintained and it will run forever.

Julian

DarkHand

QUOTE (87MugenProCR-X @ Jan 24 2007, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keep it maintained and it will run forever.

No argument there. smile.gif The problem appears when you take a more 'world-weary' car and expect to do a few hours work to turn it into one of the reliable well-maintained ones that do last forever. That's where alot of people get disillusioned or realize they're in over their head.

I also believe that any non-pristine Honda you're going to try and learn on needs to be a second car as well. When we first got the Civic I was hamstrung by the fact that it was our family's ONLY car... I couldn't really do much to it without risking our entire livelihood. When I bought the CRX, I pulled it into the garage on a Friday night and did my first de-vac... Because of the fact that I wasn't worried about not having the car running on Monday, I was able to learn more about these cars in that weekend alone than I did in 2 years with just the Civic.

Edited by DarkHand, 24 January 2007 - 02:56 PM.

DarkHand

JEFFtheJ00la

• i was the first one to rent this monte, lol
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86crx soon to be b20b, 96Grand am sedan(9.22 1/8th), 79Trans am 403 to 350 in prog. , 03Dakota DD, 86 civic sedan si swap dd
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
about the cars not lasting long thats bulshit. ive beaten the hell out of every 1g/3g ive owned and they LOVED it. i used to offroad an 86 crx si and ragged on the engine and its still fine. its in my sedan now. runs beautifully

SportInjectedClubvisit my myspace SAHCR Member

if your offended by anything i post, you need to seriously get a life

syko_tek1

I love my 1g CRX my DD with 257,000 miles and my3g CIVIC with 160,000 miles. Sure I have to work on them some times but they are different and fun to drive. Anyone who owns one and does not enjoy it should not have it and they should sell it to someone who wants it along with it's problems (like everyone said they are 20 years old).

Edited by syko_tek1, 24 January 2007 - 03:26 PM.

crxeditsmall.jpg

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
No, no warning. So jeff can still be tha J00!!!.

Although, I have drank more since I have owned my 3g.

But alcoholism runs in my family.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

a3h87

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: i'm gonna need these keys to 87 honda
its about the maintain.mine has 145 thousand miles no tune up and still runnin like a champ. biggrin.gif