One-piece Hood In Fiberglass? Any Interest?

• You cannot reply to this topic
92 replies to this topic

DSK 86CRX

• Team Tach-Out MotorSports
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 honda crx hf/si and my 86 civic hatchback si
    • Image Gallery
so has anyone figured out if some is gonna make the fiberglass hoods or not? t25_civic have you done yours yet? come someone get one out here for us daily drivers.

jpelle

• RexNovice
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '72 Vette LT-1, '87 CRX DX
    Garage View Garage
I'm interested in a 'glass hood -- can't justify (to the wife) the cost of a CF one -- but I need to know a price first. I also need to replace the front fenders (cracked on top), so maybe I should take a look at the current Houseman 'glass hood.
JMP

76kcfdeng

• Go big or go home!
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 EVO,85crxSI,03ford f250 diesel,75 landcruiser, 76 280z race car,2006 nissan frontier
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I have a cf 1 piece on my daily driver, it is a nice piece of work. Save the money and get one. I can't believe that someone could make a fiberglass one for half the price of cf, the cost of making the mold and labor to make them, plus they still have to be shipped to most of you, cheaper sure, $175 or less, doubt it. The weight loss and getting rid of the header panel seem well worth it to me, besides it looks real good on my black car. biggrin.gif Just my 2 cents.
Good luck, Glen
user posted image

user posted image
SportInjectedClub

orangecrx

i would do what t25civic was doing i actaully thoght about it too. its not a big mess if you know how to fiberglass. even if you dont know how to fiberglass it is not that hard to learn i might just go ahead and do it myself thanks for all the info. biggrin.gif

1g Supremacy

I've been thinking about getting the Houseman hood and header pannel for quite a while now.

Anyone know what's included with the hood? Is the underframe and latch and everything there? 'Cause that's why I need a new hood..Someone called themselves welding the latch back on and screwed it all up. And the header..Was the header pannel the same on all model-years?

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    Garage View Garage
You know, if THAT many of you want fiberglass, I could get that done too. I just never did since I wanted carbon fiber.

2-3 people asked about glass, but it was not enough to justify the extra hassle. Getting this stuff right is harder than you think.

1g Supremacy

A 1-piece fiberglass hood would be great! I've wanted a 1-piece hood for a while, but didn't want to go CF, 'cause I don't think it'd look right on a white car..And I'd feel really bad painting it. So 'glass would be perfect!

Any chance of getting it with the DOHC bulge? biggrin.gif

orangecrx

Any chance of getting it with the DOHC bulge?

that would be awsome.

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
i would deffinitely be in for a 1 piece fiberglass hood if the price was reasonable.
and having the bubble on it would be pretty sweet also.

Edited by crxls, 22 June 2004 - 11:42 AM.

When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

deadpool7372

• Give me Peppers!
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
I would go for a one piece fiberglass hood.
I would love to have CF but again, to much for my blood.
CF fenders would be great to... rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

-Garth
Tom/RPR: You know you are hardcore when you remove the SEAT COVER!
Lubbock, TX representing. Ya HeaRd! :)

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
No dohc bulge The group buy went through that when the molds were made. no one can get a factory perfect dohc hood there for no one can get it FG CF dohc hood

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
i'll just modify mine to have the bulge mad.gif
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

DSK 86CRX

• Team Tach-Out MotorSports
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 honda crx hf/si and my 86 civic hatchback si
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (MrDisibility @ Jun 22 2004, 11:16 AM)
You know, if THAT many of you want fiberglass, I could get that done too. I just never did since I wanted carbon fiber.

2-3 people asked about glass, but it was not enough to justify the extra hassle. Getting this stuff right is harder than you think.

so if im right we may have another group buy on our hands, but for fiberglass hoods? how many people do you need? and depending on price is whether im in right now or in later.

armegedon667

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
You know I have read all of the posts and I am still not sure about the 1 piece hood, in CF or 'glass. If you retain the stock latch how do you release it, get underneith the car or rig some kind of a pull? If you pin the thing then how does that alleviate the problem with the front fluddering? These are questions that I have never seen good answers to and since my car will see a significant amount of track time at a certain local track with a 1/2 mile straight it is rather critical that the thing be able to hang at 120 as that will not be difficult to achieve.

Mr D, you can produce hoods in the traditional style in CF for the same price right? I am looking at it from a weight issue and trying to avoid pins. If I have to keep the darn plastic header I will.

nivek2002

QUOTE (armegedon667 @ Jun 22 2004, 05:36 PM)
You know I have read all of the posts and I am still not sure about the 1 piece hood, in CF or 'glass. If you retain the stock latch how do you release it, get underneith the car or rig some kind of a pull? If you pin the thing then how does that alleviate the problem with the front fluddering? These are questions that I have never seen good answers to and since my car will see a significant amount of track time at a certain local track with a 1/2 mile straight it is rather critical that the thing be able to hang at 120 as that will not be difficult to achieve.

Mr D, you can produce hoods in the traditional style in CF for the same price right? I am looking at it from a weight issue and trying to avoid pins. If I have to keep the darn plastic header I will.

just put masking tape along the front edges of the hood so air can get under the hood. biggrin.gif They do this for top speed runs to help with aerodynamics.