What Is More Cost Efective?

• You cannot reply to this topic
40 replies to this topic

paul barela

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87civic si w/d16a1 and T3 turbo@ 8psi
I'd say building what you have (d16) would be the most cost-effective thing to do, but don't expect 250hp.

[/quote]
With a $5000 budget to build the d16 and turbo it you could have a nice setup. Built engine,clutch,exaust,engine management... Just make a plan to have a 250whp dependable setup and shop around for the parts turbo,clutch, axles that will support the game plan. And dont get sucked into buying all the tricked out parts that would eat up your $$. Paul B

5150CRX

• some people tell me that I need help......
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 85 crx,94 teg,75 bmw 2002, 91 crx si(sorta)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (staticchmbr @ May 13 2005, 05:58 PM)
QUOTE (5150CRX @ May 13 2005, 05:49 PM)
built d16 is way more cost effective than building the b16.....

as an owner of d series and b series cars, id say that the d series parts are about 1/2 the price of b series stuff. one other thing you have to look at though, is you will start out with more horsepower with the b. it may take about the same amount of $$ either way you go. just look around for good deals

the d will fit right in, no need to spend $$ for mounts, wiring, etc..so there is some extra money to spend.

yes yes this man is educated smile.gif
Aidan
5150 Autosports
15110 E. Nelson #C
Industry, Ca 91744
(626) 806-5150

www.socalracer.com

unusualcivic

• Audio Guru
  • PipPip
well, let's look at the designs of engine though. if he spends the extra money on the b, he will have an engine designed for a lot more stress (this is from my limited knowledge please correct me if im way off on this) i would think the stronger internals and goodies such as oil squirters on the pistons would help out some to keep it a little more reliable, not to mention the massive aftermarket. either way i know aren will make a BEAST wink.gif
Blast from the past.

Founder of the

5150CRX

• some people tell me that I need help......
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx,94 teg,75 bmw 2002, 91 crx si(sorta)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
his demands at this point are less than 300 whp....the d16 cranks have made a lot more and been reliable....and the thing you need to build a reliable b-series....same things you need for the d-series....oh except you don't need to buy mounts...another tranny, and an $700 motor. for his goals..I believe a d-series build would be more cost effective and just as reliable. to exemplify here's a shoping list for what goes into my 350 or less whp b-series tubro motor builds

engine
tranny
ecu
MLS head gasket
darton MID sleeve kit
manley rods(with ARP 3.5 or old age bolts)
cp pistons
arp head studs
balancing
lightening of crank
coated bearings
block machining
assembly

now here's my shopping list for a d-series build

engine block
MLS head gasket
darton MID sleeve kit
manley rods(with ARP 3.5 or old age bolts)
cp pistons
arp head studs
balancing
lightening of crank
coated bearings
block machining
assembly

if you can show me where any of these parts are either more expensive or less available than they are for the b-series....my hat is off to you

Edited by 5150CRX, 14 May 2005 - 05:58 AM.

Aidan
5150 Autosports
15110 E. Nelson #C
Industry, Ca 91744
(626) 806-5150

www.socalracer.com

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
Well personally, i think the b-series IS a better motor. simply put, 160 + hp out of a 1.6l is fuckin crazy. sorta like a mustang 5.0 with 500 hp stock (HAHAHAHAH YEAH RIGHT) but you get what im sayin, people have been tryin for years to get the 100 hp per leter mark yet be reliable and honda did it.

Thats why it would be so fun to blast em away with your old schoool d-series!!!.

Honestly i think with some nice p/p work and larger valves (the zc and d16a1 have same size vavles,what ever you can do to the zc you can do to the d16a1) And the money you would spend on mounts + new motor + tranny + all that jazz is enough to get some nice port work done and have a motor that would breath alot better than the b16.

Honestly im not sure wich would be more cost effective to achieve250whp, but heres the thing. You can design that motor however you want. Say you wanna have alot of low end torque or want somethin thatll rev to 8k you know? the b-series motors are already perfect so when you slap on b/s like i/h/e it doesnt do much anything.

I say port the dog shit outta the d16a1 head, send me about a grand and ill build you a nice itb-turbo manifold and a nice long stainless steel equal-length turbo header BAHAHAHAH jk.

Sean

Edited by rexsk8er, 14 May 2005 - 08:37 AM.

G1tegZc

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 89 G1 teg
I have a ZC (NA)
and I beat B16's all day NA

there peaky
and the V-tec is bad for boosting...............

and besides.........
The blacktop Integra ZC is 140....

the b16 has no torque

Pk Hp is like 8200 rpms

now imagin a Built D16A1 at 8200 rpm's

If your gonna boost
Go with the D16A1....
Go with the blacktop (or equivalant
Get weisco pistion and eagle rods.....And Boost the holy bigggizzziz out of it

and still have money for burn out tires
I love Old School!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
T-Bars UNITE

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
I dont get it when people say b16's have no torque. Compared to a d16a1 it has more torque. sure if you have more displacement your gonna have more torque but i bet honda's b16 has more torque than just about any other 1.6l motor out there.

Now if you compare a b18a or somethin than of course it looks liek it has no torque but thats because its larger displacement.

Like i said, b16's the better motor but i cant say wich is more cost effective. I know that the b16 would accomplish 250hp with less modifications, but considering the price i think it evens out in the end.

In my mind the d16a1 is a great motor for its time, but it was first produced in 1983 in jdm 1g crx 1.6i16v's

Sean

CRXdan

Buld up a Blacktop and go OBD0 not vacuum advance.
No point putting in a built browntop and being safely limited to only 10 psi.
Run Turboedit with a blacktop and get a GM 3 Bar map sensor.
By tuning the motor with this fuel managment you can attain the hp the built d16 can hold. Then youre laughing.
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

paul barela

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87civic si w/d16a1 and T3 turbo@ 8psi
QUOTE (rexsk8er @ May 15 2005, 03:48 PM)
I dont get it when people say b16's have no torque. Compared to a d16a1 it has more torque. sure if you have more displacement your gonna have more torque but i bet honda's b16 has more torque than just about any other 1.6l motor out there.

I drove a new 99si w/B16 and compared to my old d15 it was gut less untill 6k, i bet in a race if we both shifted at 6k the d15 would win.

staticchmbr

• Work in progress
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2x crx in the rust graveyard, 87 crx si (building), 2004 wrx
    Garage View Garage
i have a car with a d16 and a car wirth a b16. when i went down the drag strip, i was racing my buddies car (d16) with my b16 car, and it didnt start pulling away from him till about 3rd gear. reason being, the b16 only has a couple torque on the d series motors. so you figure that since the b16 is heavier, the torque kindof balances out. the only thing it really has it top end when vtec kicks in. my car pulls really good with the b16, but pulls the best in 3rd/4th gear.

im happy with both motors honestly, but the b16 parts are more expensive, i found. ive put a lot of money into both motors, and the b16 drained me a lot faster.
valvecover.gif
87 crx si (in pieces)
If you don't live for something, you'll die for nothing.

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '03 Nissan 350z, '06 Scion tC, 85 CRX, 85 Civic Hatchie
The turbo magazine I got last week had a b20b in a newer hatch that was pushin 675hp. Just a little info for ya to think about.
SAHCR-Saving Abused Hondas for Cleanup and Restoration - Founder
QUOTE(zakats)
my gosh thats like killing puppies and infants while burning flags all at the same time!!!!

user posted image

mayhem019

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (kamikaze_fish @ May 16 2005, 08:07 AM)
The turbo magazine I got last week had a b20b in a newer hatch that was pushin 675hp.  Just a little info for ya to think about.

Thats a good way to look at it, look at what the motor is at most capable of, and you'll probably find the B series to push the limit more. But remember cost is definately being factored in and that tends to change things a bit

On another note heres a vid for you aren if you havent seen already, maybe it will help keep you motivated lol. God their cars are insane http://www.draglab.c...ynoDayFeb05.wmv
user posted image

RexBoy21

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si
damn, thats awesome. those cars can really cut loose. almost intimidating. haha.

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I have decided that I will go d16a1 with a zc head or a 88-89 d16a1 head... rember I only want 250 at the wheels not 600 hehe If i manage 250 hp and 1900lbs car and slicks I could be looking at a 11.5 second 1320 time... :gitters:

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Aren D. @ May 16 2005, 07:22 PM)
I have  decided that I will go d16a1 with a zc head or a 88-89 d16a1 head...

Good choice... but if you have to go with a B, I say a built B18 with boost -- monster.

j
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300