Cool Little Part For My Crx I Made Today.

• You cannot reply to this topic
98 replies to this topic

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
no its not that hard core the the springs will compress if one side runs over a rock or gos in to a pot hole. This mod has been done to many 1g/3g cars street and track... I am not doing any thing new... But if some one has had problems with a weilded axle or locking plate please speak up.

it dose not twist like a sway bar it stays firm all the time... my other post was missleading

Edited by Aren D., 09 February 2005 - 09:17 PM.

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
It pretty much just makes your sway bar into a solid bar that does nto move. Thats the best explanation that i ahve.

Julian

76kcfdeng

• Go big or go home!
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 EVO,85crxSI,03ford f250 diesel,75 landcruiser, 76 280z race car,2006 nissan frontier
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Mine has been done for a while, no problems. Welding the stock one is easy and then you cut off the torsion bar and torque tube, saves the weight. You end up with the same thing. Nice work though, saves your stock bar if you ever need it.
Glen
user posted image

user posted image
SportInjectedClub

Vandemar

• moved on to bigger engines
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '17 Chev SS (Commodore)
It should work like this does:

IMO, it wasn't as big of a change as the Lightspeed rear sway, and I doubt the cut-off piece weighs 20lbs, it's probably closer to 10. I was originally planning on just using the welded version, but it rolled too much, so I added the LS sway back on, and the combination of the two pretty much eliminated any sort of understeer that was previously possible biggrin.gif. Also the "TRICYCL" license plate makes more sense now laugh.gif.

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
"can you make that in CF or FG?!?!?!?!"...buahahahah
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
FYI, the 1300 and HF's don't even have the internal bar, they are effectively already solid. At least mine is.

A fine piece of work though Aren. Well done!
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

toxicshit

i think my english to dutch translation issnt going to work this time,
where does that go and does annyone have a picture or a drawing of it, and why do you want to do this exactly.. whaha sorry arjen but i still cant get it after your little education lesson.

my rear suspension looks like the one on RPR's civic and i cant imagine annypart that looks like that whahha.

Greetings Erwin

1. EDM 1986 Honda CRX AS - B16A1 engine - OBD1 - Turbo - Stitch welded chassis.
2. EDM 2001 Lexus IS300 3.0 RWD - Daily Drive
cr-x.jpg

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Awaiting Authorisation
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery
Guess you got sick of waiting for me to mail one to you huh!?Sorry, I've been incredibly busy and haven't even had the chance to get to it!

That looks perfect though, good job! It is actually an improvement on mine because what I made left the internal bar in place, yours you can remove it entirely......I like it!

biggrin.gif Good thinking my boy!!
Must.....go......racing.......

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
hey aren. sounds like you could make some money now. hehehee. well, from me atleast. laugh.gif
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

Veonik

• because 35mph is FAST, yo!
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Dan-O @ Feb 9 2005, 08:03 PM)
Beautiful work!
I wonder if RPR would ever produce something like this?
I don't have an efficient way to cut the thick plate.

If I got the blueprints for it I could have my dad mass produce all the plates at his shop and weld them together. ph34r.gif
user posted image

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
If I got the blueprints for it I could have my dad mass produce all the plates at his shop and weld them together.

And the designer gets a cut of the profits right?? biggrin.gif

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
hey, man. i want two. one for my civic, and one for my girls CRX.
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I'm still partially confused on how exactly it works.

I'm assuming that Aren's piece replaces the stabilizer assembly (circled in red), but I don't understand what the stabilizer does to begin with. I get the concept of swaybar (AntiRoll Bar) but I don't even see how it does that. It bolts to the axle and slides inside there (don't even know what holds it in on the inside if anything) and just kinda chills there?

Man, do I feel dumb... :/

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Stu, I'll try and explain.

Basically the beam can almost travel independently if the t-bar isn't in there. That is because the left side of the beam is solidly mounted to the trailing arm and the right side is mounted through a bearing....See the swing bearing in the pic you posted. So what the T-bar does is connect side that is allowed to rotate on the bearing to the trailing arm so that any rotation is resisted by the t-bar and thus acting as a sway bar. What the lock plate does is basically makes the right side act like the solid mount on the left side.

Best way to give an example is, if you had the trailing arm/beam assy out of the car, and you clamped the beam solidly so it couldn't move, you would not be able to rotate the left trailing arm, while the right one would move provided you pull hard enough to twist the t-bar. You'd really see what I mean if you did this and took off the stabilizer control arm (labelled on the pic)

Does that make sense?

Also as an aside, Tom's 1300 Civic doesn't have the t-bar but I am willing to bet that it still has the swing bearing meaning before Tom made the teg front bar work.....he had no rear sway bar.

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Ahhhhh says the blind man, now I see.
I'm still now sure how that torsion bar works (I don't see anything inside that it ataches to), but I understand the principle behind it. Very interesting.