<tires> Which For Summers Only On Phone Dials?

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

NurburgRinger

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '86 CRXSi, '85 Ferrari 308GTS, '99 BMW 528i, '06 MadAss scooter
Thanks for the input Grant!

QUOTE (Grant Bailey @ Dec 1 2010, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even without any suspension modifications I would not compromise on your tires - they have a massive impact on how the CRX drives. I had one set of tires with floppy sidewalls on the 14"s (Falken Ziex) and I literally thought they had forgotten to air them up. It was that bad and I actually managed to return them. IMHO anything that does not have a very aggressive sidewall construction is poor economy because you will hate them.

If I had 24mm+ TBs and thicker, lower rear spring I'd agree with you, but since my CRX is basically 100% stock having some sidewall flex is totally in keeping with the original intent of the car.
I don't want to change this.
B-stone Potenza 960ASs may not be super aggressive, but having used them myself on another car I'm satisfied that they're a great combination of modern construction, close-to-period look (i.e. not lower profile), but still will have much better grip than 1986 era A/S tires the CRX came with.

Some sites still list Falken 615's, but they are all discontinued. Supposedly the 615k's are significant improved, but a set of leftover 615s could be had for cheap it would muddy the waters even more...

cheers!
Kurt

NurburgRinger

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRXSi, '85 Ferrari 308GTS, '99 BMW 528i, '06 MadAss scooter
QUOTE (zakats @ Dec 1 2010, 01:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could always sell a set such as your phone dials, I wouldn't mind having a set of newly restored retro's! Shameless plug: I have a set of "LS mesh" wheels that would do the trick!

Back on topic, this is a good tool to figure out tire dimensions and the difference in tire geometry when considering different combos
http://www.miata.net...e/tirecalc.html

Nice calculator!
Sorry Zak, I love the phone dials and won't be parting with them wink.gif

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Perfect topic for the off season. My current tires are about done and I'm due for a new set. Wanting to stick with 13 or 14". I like the 185/60R14 as it is about the same height as my stock tires.

I'm looking closest at the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec in 185/60R14 or 195/60R14 and the Falken AZENIS RT-615K in 195/60R14. It looks like the Dunlop as a more "square footing" in that even with the narrower section width it has a wider thread width. Any first hand info on these two tires would be great. Also open to 13" suggestions, just have to have threadwear =>140.

I plan to Auto-X on the tires and use for daily driving (in town < 10 miles/day). If the tires are just crap for daily driving I do have a set of stock 13s in good shape I can install for DD and just the 14" for auto-x.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
I love discussions like this. Thank goodness we actually have street tire choices in a <15" size. Even just a few months ago, there were only 1 or 2 choices that were decent: the Toyo T1R and the old Falken Azenis 615. Now there is the new 615K and the Dunlop Star Spec at the top of the grippy-street-tire list. Which is better? I haven't seen any comparisons on light cars like ours, but the Dunlop seems to be the tire of choice for street use overall. I will be needing a set of 14" tires in a few months for summer use only, and I do like the proper height of the 185/60 Dunlop. I know the Miata guys are pretty thrilled with the renewed tire choices, and we should be too.

Now, if we had similar options in a 13" sticky street tire...
No power . . . no weight

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (squareback @ Dec 6 2010, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now, if we had similar options in a 13" sticky street tire...

woooord
He who dies with the most toys, wins.