1987 Honda Civic 1500 Si L4 1.5l Fi

• You cannot reply to this topic
35 replies to this topic

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Alchemist Dragon @ Oct 10 2005, 12:54 PM)
I changed the igniter and it started for a brief second then died once again... 
Think the main relay should be next?  It doesn't sound like the fuel pump is working current so would a short in the main relay cause the problem?

sounds like the relay..

(oh yeah, kick the panel under the dash and see if that helps.. i do it sometimes.. works for me! hahahaaa.)

Edited by E-AT_me, 10 October 2005 - 03:27 PM.

1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
Yes, reread the post above yours. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
What are the odds of it being his ignition switch?

The part where he mentions that it just starts up and dies sounds just like what my fiancee's 86 Sedan was doing. In the start position it would run, but sometimes as soon as you let go to restart to the run position it would shut off like you turn it off. The first time she had a problem was while driving and the car just shutdown while driving down the highway. She could not get it to start right away, but about 20 minutes later it did. Rather then replace the ignition I just installed a pair of relays (one for the engine run and one for the blower, blower relay was easy to switch to engine running slot and was an idea for having a useful backup in the car.) controlled by new lit switch in parallel to the ignition switch.

Anyway, just a thought.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

Alchemist Dragon

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
I remember having to change an ignition switch on my last civic...

Question: Would a spark from someone welding a tail pipe on cause the main relay to go out? I noticed it after a guy fixed my tail pipe.. I thought it really odd that he left the car running while he was fixing it.. Its was a "professional" muffler place...

I think its either the main relay or a shorted out wire to the fuel pump..
The fuel pump does run.. Sometimes though it will not run at all... So to me it seems there is a short somewhere weither it be the relay or a wire somewhere.....

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Alchemist Dragon @ Oct 10 2005, 11:35 PM)

Question:  Would a spark from someone welding a tail pipe on cause the main relay to go out?  I noticed it after a guy fixed my tail pipe..  I thought it really odd that he left the car running while he was fixing it..  Its was a "professional" muffler place...

The fuel pump does run.. Sometimes though it will not run at all...  So to me it seems there is a short somewhere weither it be the relay or a wire somewhere.....

well, welding on a car with the battery still hooked up is bad. good chance at burning up elictircal pieces, like the computer.

if your fuel pump sometimes shuts off then you have a bad main relay or fuel pump. next time the pump shuts off you need to check and see if the relay is sending power to the pump. if the pump is getting power but not running then you need a new pump. if the pump is not getting power then you need a new main relay.

my money is on the relay since this is a common problem.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

3rd gen

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 06 PT cruiser,looking for a 3rd gen civic.
QUOTE (Alchemist Dragon @ Oct 11 2005, 12:35 AM)

Question:  Would a spark from someone welding a tail pipe on cause the main relay to go out?  I noticed it after a guy fixed my tail pipe..  I thought it really odd that he left the car running while he was fixing it..  Its was a "professional" muffler place...

The fuel pump does run.. Sometimes though it will not run at all...  So to me it seems there is a short somewhere weither it be the relay or a wire somewhere.....

It is most likley the main relay.This problem is very common on 4th gen civics.I can't say I have seen it happen on 3 g's as they didn't sell the Si's here in Canada(bastards). The solder joints in the main relay go bad.If you have any soldering skills you couls likely fix it yourself,if not then just pick up a new one at Honda or even grab one from a junk yard and give it a go. Whenever you have an issue like this you should try the relay first,coils generally just fail and the car won't run at all.

Alchemist Dragon

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Well the fuel pump works sometimes and then doesn't... Its seems to me that it isn't the pump.. When i get the cash i'm going to change the main relay..

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Alchemist Dragon @ Oct 12 2005, 12:49 PM)
Well the fuel pump works sometimes and then doesn't...  Its seems to me that it isn't the pump..  When i get the cash i'm going to change the main relay..

you can fix the relay you have now if you know how to solder or want to read up on it and learn. my wife never soldered or seen it done but fixed the main relay in one of our accords after just reading up on it for an hour or so.

check out THIS LINK. if anything it might help you understand whats going on at least.

good luck

EDIT: we didnt have any of the equipment for soldering so we had to buy everything for the job. this costed right around $25-$30 (including soldering iron and all). a new main relay goes for about $50. is it worth it? well in our case it was because we have 2 4G accords that needed the relays done so for us it was better to spend that $25-$30 on the equipment than $100 on 2 relays. might not be if it will be a one time deal for you. the choice is yours, just letting you know your options.

Edited by crxls, 12 October 2005 - 01:16 PM.

When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

fastcivic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic
Okay, when you turn the key to run does the fuel pump turn on and the lights on the dash come on, like pgfm, and that kind of stuff. If this doesn't its your ignition switch. I had this same problem last week. When I would go to start the car it would start, then you turned the key to the start position and run, but when you went back to run it would turn off.
Occasionally it would stay running and be fine untill I turned it off again and tried to start it. Jiggle the key around a little without going to the start position you might find a spot where the system runs fine. If it does this it is somewhat simple to fix.
On the back of the ignition switch there is a little electrical pod, this is where the problem is. There is 2 screws holding it on, remove these screws and pull the pod off. Split open the pod carefully and sand all the connections in of the switch(MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED). Now just close up the switch pod, connect the battery and turn the switch with a flat blade screw driver with a plastic handle. You can now start your car with a screw driver to see if it will now start and run. Now if this has fixed the problem re-instal it and you have saved your self at least $100.

Rich

xunedeinx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1999 Nissan Quest
Ok, heres goes.

SAME EXACT THING just happened on my new firebird.

Would be a bbitch to start, sometimes not even starting. Would run for a little, then get very rough, then shut off bout 30 secs later, then no possibly start till it cools down a little.

I went threw everything, compression, pump, wires, plugs, ignition, computer.

Problem turned out to be the injectors.

two of them were shorted, one was on its way, and one was cracked. Last person to install them did a shitty job. and, the thing with injectors is that once one fails, itll not work when its hot, and it will take others with it.

Id bet you 5 bucks, which if i loose i will paypal you, that it is a bad or going bad injector. I have 8 of them, you have four, so im guessing if it takes another one with it, it wont even start. get it to a shop and have them inspect it, wont cost more then 30 bucks.

just my 2 cents.

Alchemist Dragon

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
At the moment I don't have 30 bucks to spare.. I'm on the verge of losing my place.. So i'm going to try the main relay.. I'm probably going to have to make my way to a junk yard to find a main relay anyway.. i have very little to spare...

1stgencrxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 honda crx si, 91 honda civic 4dr
had the samw problem with my 87 crx si its the main relay for the fuel pump its underneath the dash behine the fuse panel tells the fuel pump when to turn off and on common problem with 87 si's i think they even had a recall on the back in the day

Alchemist Dragon

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Its definitely the relay.. I was starting it today and you could hear the fuel pump.. then after I got where i was going it wouldn't start again and i couldn't hear the fuel pump what so ever.. I can usually tell if its going to start now.. If the fuel pump runs when i turn the key then it will start.. If i can't hear it, I get nada...

3rd gen

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 06 PT cruiser,looking for a 3rd gen civic.
common problem with 87 si's

It was also a problem on the 4th gens,very common.

Alchemist Dragon

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanx everyone for your help.. I changed the Relay today and its back to normal... I will post more about my car when i have the time and money... Thanx again....