Beater 87 Civic Si

• You cannot reply to this topic
50 replies to this topic

mallardtape

I agree with old school rex. Check the pressure plate for wear and hot spots. If it has any get it machined at a local machine shop or some auto parts stores will do it as well.
this is an extreme example of hot spots.

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
Got a good deal on a whole clutch kit, so I replaced all the components. As of now, the engine has been cleaned and has had the clutch, timing belt, water pump, crank seals, and thermostat replaced. The ignition parts looked very new, so I don't plan to do anything with them unless it becomes necessary. I also cleaned up the engine bay and filled the old engine mounts with urethane to toughen them up.

The weather forecast promises to be brutally cold for the next few days, so I'm not sure how much I'll get done, but the bay is ready for it:

No power . . . no weight

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Just for giggles, when you're done, check the deck on the block and head of the old engine. I'd imagine at least the head is warped, looks like it saw some nasty heat.

squareback

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Yep, I should do that. I'd be willing to bet it's pretty far off.

There is almost 5" of snow on the ground right now, and the high temp for the next couple of days will be in the low teens. Probably not much will be accomplished on the car... mad.gif
No power . . . no weight

squareback

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Got the engine installed tonight. It's physically in place, but I haven't hooked up any lines or hoses yet. The 20 degree temperatures have limited my desire to work on it for long periods of time. I figure one good afternoon or evening could get me to the point of being ready to fire it up.

I've also thought more about my choice of wheel and tire. Originally, I had wanted to go with 14" Miata wheels and 185/60 summer tires, but I've decided I like the look of 13" wheels better and will stick with the stock steelies and wheel covers wrapped with 205/60 tires. Since tire manufacturers are lame and don't make a performance summer tire in a 13" size, I'll have to use an all-season. I also have a set of 15x7 wheels with 205/50 max performance tires (from my DC2 Acura Integra) that I can slap on if I really want some extra grip.
No power . . . no weight

squareback

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Almost ready to turn the key. I finally received the last of the belt/hose pieces I needed today and installed them. Shortly after midnight, I hooked up the battery to do the final electrical check. There was fuel spraying everywhere from the fuel rail. It was so much that I really couldn't tell where it was coming from. I shut off the car, cleaned up the fuel from the floor and the car on either side of the Civic (yep, it sprayed them too) and called it a night. I will tackle this issue tomorrow after work. Once I clear this up, the car should be ready to start.
No power . . . no weight

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
QUOTE (squareback @ Jan 26 2011, 02:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Almost ready to turn the key. I finally received the last of the belt/hose pieces I needed today and installed them. Shortly after midnight, I hooked up the battery to do the final electrical check. There was fuel spraying everywhere from the fuel rail. It was so much that I really couldn't tell where it was coming from. I shut off the car, cleaned up the fuel from the floor and the car on either side of the Civic (yep, it sprayed them too) and called it a night. I will tackle this issue tomorrow after work. Once I clear this up, the car should be ready to start.

first thought:do you have a crush washer on both sides of the banjo fuel feed bolt connecting to the fuel rail?

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

squareback

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (OG Wagon @ Jan 26 2011, 07:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
first thought:do you have a crush washer on both sides of the banjo fuel feed bolt connecting to the fuel rail?

Yep, definitely have those. The fuel is leaking from the rail itself; the rubber lines and filter assembly is fine. I'm headed out there right now...
No power . . . no weight

squareback

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (squareback @ Jan 26 2011, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, definitely have those. The fuel is leaking from the rail itself; the rubber lines and filter assembly is fine. I'm headed out there right now...

I loosened and then tightened the fuel line hookups at the filter, and then it didn't leak a bit. The rail still made the hissing sound, but the gurgling noise was gone. I figured I had nothing to lose, so my wife held the fire extinguisher while I turned the key...

It lives! It fired right up and was very smooth. It idles very high (close to 3000 RPM), so I'll have to figure that out. I am hoping to drive the car around the neighborhood a bit this weekend, and then there are only a few ends to tie up before the car is ready for the road. One of the first things to address is a small leak from the radiator; it only leaks a few drops per day, but that's too much. The bad thing is that I can't see exactly where it's coming from since it's such a small leak and it all runs down to the same spot under the front support. If I can't find the leak, I may just replace the radiator and be done with it.
No power . . . no weight

squareback

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
It's a driver! I double checked everything on the car and then drove it around the neighborhood a few times. It's been over 2 years since I really drove a 3G, and I forgot how truck-like the shifter is. I've been driving newer Hondas and Acuras since then, so it was quite a difference. The trans and clutch feel just right, and there were no unusual noises or anything with the car. Pulled it back into the garage and watched for leaks... there were none.

In my previous post, I mentioned a coolant leak. When I came back from the drive, it didn't leak at all (I'm assuming since coolant went into the engine block). Even when I refilled the coolant to full, it still does not leak like it did before. Weird. I will keep an eye on that. I also need to flush and bleed the brakes, as they are a bit soft and have some dirty fluid in them.

Next up is an exhaust system and tires. I will have my favorite local shop fabricate a simple set up that has a ~24-30" glasspack down the middle and turns to exit out the side. The only thing I am unsure of is pipe diameter. I would do a 2" pipe, except that I plan to do a D16 swap somewhat soon, at which point I would want a 2.25" pipe. Should I just do the 2.25" now and not have to change it later? For tires, I will put 205/60 all seasons on the OEM steelies with the stock wheel covers.
No power . . . no weight

black87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 honda crx si
QUOTE (squareback @ Jan 31 2011, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a driver! I double checked everything on the car and then drove it around the neighborhood a few times. It's been over 2 years since I really drove a 3G, and I forgot how truck-like the shifter is. I've been driving newer Hondas and Acuras since then, so it was quite a difference. The trans and clutch feel just right, and there were no unusual noises or anything with the car. Pulled it back into the garage and watched for leaks... there were none.

In my previous post, I mentioned a coolant leak. When I came back from the drive, it didn't leak at all (I'm assuming since coolant went into the engine block). Even when I refilled the coolant to full, it still does not leak like it did before. Weird. I will keep an eye on that. I also need to flush and bleed the brakes, as they are a bit soft and have some dirty fluid in them.

Next up is an exhaust system and tires. I will have my favorite local shop fabricate a simple set up that has a ~24-30" glasspack down the middle and turns to exit out the side. The only thing I am unsure of is pipe diameter. I would do a 2" pipe, except that I plan to do a D16 swap somewhat soon, at which point I would want a 2.25" pipe. Should I just do the 2.25" now and not have to change it later? For tires, I will put 205/60 all seasons on the OEM steelies with the stock wheel covers.

great wow good job fixing that car quick
and as u said the car has no leak these cars are weird they just like to fix them selves haha
looking forward to see what else u will do to the beauty
was up my name is antonio I <3 MY HONDA!

squareback

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
No major update. Our weather here has been terribly cold, which has made working outside difficult. While the car has been sitting, the coolant leak has returned, so I will probably just get a new radiator; getting it repaired would likely cost half as much as a whole new one. There is also a small oil leak coming from the drive axle seal on the passenger side. It probably got moved out of place when I installed the axle assembly, so I will replace that also. I also took the opportunity to hand buff the car. The red paint has certainly seen better days, so I wasn't expecting too much out of it. It's actually not bad now. I was originally wondering if I would feel the need to repaint the car to get it looking good, but I have decided to keep it as is; it's not perfect, but since I plan to use the car as a runner, not a looker, I think it will be fine.

Looking forward to warmer weather...

Not sure what I'll do with the front bumper, but the car actually makes reflections in the paint now:

No power . . . no weight

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
2 inch is plenty for a d16a1. my old car is running a 2 inch exhaust with the 130 HP jdm zc and its plenty loud and plenty of gettyup and go.
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
Very cool that you got it running! Little leaks and the like are such small problems compared to it not running at all. laugh.gif You'll get them all worked out one day. The paint is even looking pretty good!

squareback

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Good news update... I replaced the radiator last week with no drama, and I replaced both drive axle seals yesterday. The driver side seal was difficult to remove but ultimately came out just fine. The car used to leak a few drops of trans fluid and coolant each day, but it is now completely dry underneath. I could drive the car now, but I want to get an exhaust system on it first. I am hoping to do that this coming week at my favorite local shop.

Only other change to the car is that I cleaned and painted the bottom of the car and chassis. I am so ready to start driving this thing.
No power . . . no weight