150 Whp

• You cannot reply to this topic
31 replies to this topic

Rollin

• Desert.
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 88 Wagon "Fiona", 85 1500DX "The Tick", 90 HB (Rip), 86 Wagon 4x4 (Rip)
The EW1 has 100hp blink.gif ??? Yeah I would definately prefer to stay EW and not go LS.
- Just Rollin, bruised and rebuilt but Rollin.
- "Insanity is defined as doing the same old thing the same old way and expecting different results." Albert Einstein
- --> Under Construction <-- [Always]

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
no, the ew HAD 91 when it was brand new. and 150 hp is possible...but not to the wheels. at least not for a NA daily driver.

but 110 at the wheels is still a damn good time.
wink.gif
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

Erik

• Kia Rio Driver
  • PipPipPipPip
i was only guessing at the hp of the motor i mean 91 is close enuff to 100 but yeah 150 outta the motor is very possible u need to always think about drive train lose now if u have a manny tranny then i don't think u will 40 horses to the wheels maybe 25 to 30 but not 40 now if u have a auto then yah i wud say for sure 40 to 50

shauno

It is definately possible!!

one ting though. When shooting for those numbers you really have to minimize rotational mass and internal weight.

For starters, the pistons would need to be upgraded to forged aluminum and the rods could also help with an upgrade to aluminum. and the crank would need some good shaving and balancing. Maybe knife edge it and polish it. It's not so easy to just port and polish either. It's an exact science that honda has been doing for years. That's why it's so expensive from the right shop.
Just think of the head as being the brains and the motivation of the car. it could make you slower if you port wrong. velocity and swirl are the keys, as well as burn rate and timing of course. You would need some instrumentation to monitor the little air pump. (sorry I mean engine)

Then you have to deal with the hot air in the engine compartment.
I've seen these engines produce 130 reliably for street use with a similar setup to yours.
But, you need to ditch the turbo muffler and go for something straight through with no internal bends. and bump you exhaust to 2 1/4 at least.
This is not meant to deter you. I know it's doable.

Good luck biggrin.gif
Time to kick some ricer butt!

Rollin

• Desert.
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 88 Wagon &quot;Fiona&quot;, 85 1500DX &quot;The Tick&quot;, 90 HB (Rip), 86 Wagon 4x4 (Rip)
Definately The port and polish would be done by a local Honda Specializing shop. As far as the exhaust 2.25 inches is the common diameter. I have seen studies though that suggest a 2 inch diameter is superior as it helps maintain the proper velocity for the exhaust gases. And will a straight through muffler make that much difference? I know the noise factor is huge with straight through mufflers, I previously ran one on my old 4g hatch and eventually cut it off due to headaches.
- "Insanity is defined as doing the same old thing the same old way and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
QUOTE (Rollin @ May 23 2004, 10:48 PM)
And will a straight through muffler make that much difference?  I know the noise factor is huge with straight through mufflers, I previously ran one on my old 4g hatch and eventually cut it off due to headaches.

i have the perfect answer to your question.
yes, straight through mufflers will add power (well, free up power), BUT, you don't have the have the deafening "please give me a ticket" noise.

i am testing a new muffler from this company in taiwan who was previously sponsored by nissan. they have a straight through design that is supposedly only slightly louder than stock. i bought a flowmaster delta 50 series and a stock muffler to compare it against, and i'm going to set up a dyno appt. this week. i will have noise data (taken with nasa testing equipment) and HP data (dynapack) alond with pictures very soon.

i am their only link to the US auto industry right now, my father was working with them on building airplane mufflers, and when the budget fell through, he told them they have a huge market for the performace auto exhuast. they got excited and bugged us for data for a month before sending us a custom built unit (we really didn't expect it). so, if it works like it says, i can get a shipment of say, 10, and hand em out here at cost. then if everyone likes em i can go from there.

anyways, i'll start a thread in a few days with all my results. (i can't wait)
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

Rollin

• Desert.
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 88 Wagon &quot;Fiona&quot;, 85 1500DX &quot;The Tick&quot;, 90 HB (Rip), 86 Wagon 4x4 (Rip)
you don't have the have the deafening "please give me a ticket" noise

That would be awesome, my last straight through muffler was a Tsudo (divison of DC sports) Predator and that thing was loud. Not just when excelerating but all the time even at cruising speed (70 mph) with an additional resonator added. I put up with it for almost 7 months and then cut it off in favor turbo muffler with resonator. The silence was defining. Keep us posted. Whats the company name so we know who to watch for? biggrin.gif

EDIT: Going to shot for 150 praying for 130. Does anyone know how to tell if Sidedraft carbs are legal for use in a given state?

Edited by Rollin, 24 May 2004 - 02:14 AM.

JDN14

the deafening "please give me a ticket" noise.

heeey, my 85 has that noise...of course it just lacks a muffler and is an auto-x car but still....... dry.gif
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
i do not hink 150whp is possible by your means

at least it would requirea thorough engine build with maybe domed top d16a1 pistons. a big cam great pnp but most likely could nto be a DD

Rollin

• Desert.
  • PipPip
most likely could nto be a DD

That is what I am quickly finding out. Apparently 110 - 130 is a more realistic goal for a daily driver. smile.gif

Does anyone know how to tell if Sidedraft carbs are legal for use in a given state? wink.gif

Erik

• Kia Rio Driver
  • PipPipPipPip
well sidedraft r not legel in any smog controled state so if u live say here in California and u went to smog it they wud laugh u in ur face and say cum back with the right motor now u state u live in New Mexcio i ain't sure if they r a smog controled state but no it is not 50 state legel at all

DarkHand

If they do a visual inspection in your state you're hosed, but here in Illinois, the only thing that matters are the emmisions numbers... If it produces less than the maximum allowed emmisions, it's legal. It depends on your states emmisions laws.
DarkHand

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
QUOTE (DarkHand @ May 25 2004, 09:27 AM)
If they do a visual inspection in your state you're hosed, but here in Illinois, the only thing that matters are the emmisions numbers...  If it produces less than the maximum allowed emmisions, it's legal.  It depends on your states emmisions laws.

i am goign to say no

some states have visual some states dont some state have no Emissionn laws. (MI) you are in the no emmission law states then who cares everywhere else they are illegal

DarKGifT06

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: honda civic 1986 1.3
i hurd the funnyist thing if you connect a 2nd exhaust pipe to your exhaust but dont aculy have it connected they will average out your #'s so say the one side is having 65 and the other one would be 0 they take the average its an easy way to get past emissions laws.

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
Rollin-- My 85 hatch is a race-only E Prepared car with a built EW, and it falls just short of 150 hp at the wheels. There is no way I would consider driving a motor like this for a daily driver. Can you get 150 wheel hp from the EW? Sure, but you would also take away one of your key goals: daily driver. Also, the bottom end of the power curve is not so great. It's better than stock, but in order to get so much power at the top end, the bottom end is relatively weak.

By the way, unless I'm out of it, ITB stands for Individual Throttle Bodies.

I'm in the middle of a D16 swap on a non-FI 86 hatch, and I'm finding it's not as difficult as people have made it out to be. It's time-consuming, but not difficult. Since I've gone the built EW route, now I'm going for the D16 swap. I'll consider myself well-rounded after this. Of course, then I've got my 86 CRX Si to tinker with and OPM .040 pistons in the garage . . .

Mike
No power . . . no weight