Vacuum Routing... Aaarrrgghhh!

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

DarkHand

Are there any diagrams or anything anywhere online or off that specifies exactly what each vacuum hose in each emmisions box does?
DarkHand

Renan Pereira

I have a question. Do any of you know how much power of a power difference it makes in removing all the hoses? I'm thinking about it but I heard that your gas consumption really goes up. Thanks biggrin.gif
quote]Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. [/quote]

Life is hard right? NO!!, life is easy, you just suck!

user posted image

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
well, i think alot of the vacume lines would have to do with the cvcc ports. i think that when its cold it needs more rich mixture in the cvcc ports so thats all vacume opperated, this is all just basic assumption on knowladge.... im not all that sure about that, but what else would it be for? i know alot of it is for the fuel economy, but the major part of it is the cvcc ports....

you might get slight gains, simply because with more vac lines means more leaks, so evein something you might never notice is gone.... it might even idle better now. i really dont know. but in any case your fuel economy will probably go down, but not like in humongus amounts, because it has alot to do with the cvcc ports.

Edited by rexsk8er, 11 February 2004 - 11:36 PM.

Renan Pereira

unsure.gif Thanks for the answer rex. A few people in various forums stated that MPG went down as low as 25 mpg. That is a long way from the average 47mpg a average condition HF gets. My car ins't idling that great specially when its cold, it turns on and imediately dies unless u hold the accelerator. I suspect a leak in the carb base or manifold gasket since I've checked most hoses, but I don't wanna lose 20 mpg.
quote]Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. [/quote]

Life is hard right? NO!!, life is easy, you just suck!

user posted image

eldo

• Think outside the box horsepower
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86CRX 68Chevelle 69GTO
    • Image Gallery
I have unplugged all the hoses(all 4 or 5 of them) and the box in a Canadian Crx and it still starts and runs the same.I only lost the slow idling down when the gas pedal is released which did nothing to change the drivability.Mpg didn't change.

Feel sorry for you guys down south with all that clutter.

Ed
Ed
86 Crx DX EW3 block EW2 ported head , Coltcams (nitrous/turbo Stage 2 Triflow )

T-25 with a blowthrough Keihin carb - 13 psi .

I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

DarkHand

QUOTE (eldo @ Feb 12 2004, 01:37 AM)
Feel sorry for you guys down south with all that clutter.

Before I found out about removing them, I swapped carbs on the Civic and had to label all those darn things so I could put them back on. sad.gif It was my first time doing the job, but it ended up taking me about 8 hours... Most of that was spent either labeling the hoses or struggling with removing/reinstalling/replacing them.

Just how badly does removing them affect emmisions anyway? I'd like to get the CRX running with the original motor for a while before the swap, so it dosen't really matter... But the Civic will have to go for emmisions eventually, and I'm not to keen on having to put them back in. smile.gif

Edited by DarkHand, 12 February 2004 - 10:41 AM.

DarkHand

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Surestick @ Feb 11 2004, 12:49 PM)
Jeez, I just noticed how many vaccum tube you have coming out of that box on the firewall!
I've got a Canadian CRX & it has probably 4 hoses coming from there.
Now I'm feeling lucky to be Canadian!

You should feel lucky, I'd kill for a canadian spec Civic DX hatch or 1500s. NO crazy vac lines and a much better (non cvcc) head to develop.

Edited by CRXfanatic, 12 February 2004 - 11:04 AM.

"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

ImprtRcr02

• You Dare Mess With A Saiyajin??
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 04' Srt-4, working on the crx beast
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Thanks for the pics crxfanatic. They helped me out more than you know. One thing though, Im assuming all the little ports and holes in the intake manifold need to be plugged right? I think were going to try to get this thing running the end of next week. For this car though it was sitting for a long time and I have not turned it over yet, so is there anything special I need to do beforehand? Im going to drain the fuel tank put fresh gas in, I also might pull the spark plugs and check the compression before actually starting the engine. Any other tips? Thanks.

Maybe this thread or a write-up should be in the faq??

ImprtRcr02

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yeah, the im should be sealed tight with plugs and whatnot.

If it's been sitting for long time, take the plugs out, spray wd40 liberally in the holes, then maybe after a day of soaking, turn the motor over manually, then respray and let soak another day, then put the plugs back in and fire it up.

I've always thought about doing a faq for this. I can't tell ya how many times I've replied to de-vac line posts.

Edited by CRXfanatic, 13 February 2004 - 11:21 AM.

"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

DarkHand

Ignore this post, I combined all my questions into one. smile.gif

Edited by DarkHand, 15 February 2004 - 04:25 PM.

DarkHand

DarkHand

I've noticed a discrepency between two of the pictures:

The vacuum lines seem to be routed differently in the two pics.

Also, I'm assuming the two vacuum lines coming off the distributor still need to be hooked up, but I'm having trouble telling where to attach them from the pics.

Also, What about the plate noted here? I'm assuming you made it?

Thanks in advance guys, I know I'm asking a ton of questions smile.gif

Edited by DarkHand, 15 February 2004 - 04:30 PM.

DarkHand

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
just look at the vac line routing sticker on the hood and hook the distributor vac lines up to where there supposed to go. it shouldnt be that hard, and if you dont have the sticker thing i think theres some pics on here somewhere of it, but i figure any hose with about the same inside diamater would probably work... dont quote me on that one tho laugh.gif

RedRexDX

• Building SOHC Potential
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1993 Mitsubishi Mirage ES; 1987 CRX Si
i did this mod to my old crx... car idled rough... but ran great when driven. i didnt feel it was worth it, though and put everything back on.

thankfully, i had that nice diagram under the hood.
grr

DarkHand

QUOTE (RedRexDX @ Feb 15 2004, 09:14 PM)
i didnt feel it was worth it, though and put everything back on.

There's no way in hell I'm putting all that back on smile.gif

I'm basically just trying to get the CRX's engine running before the swap... I may use it in the Civic. The carb is pretty shot so I'll be swapping it with a spare. I figure it'll be easier to do with the emmisions equipment removed.

I've removed about 25lbs of emmisions related parts so far, I'll take pics when I'm done. smile.gif Oh and I started another thread here, I've hijacked this one enough biggrin.gif
DarkHand