33 replies to this topic

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 turbo zc (turbo edit) -1986 carb dohc zc hf
QUOTE (crx_dx @ Jan. 04 2003,19:33)
i c, wasnt very hard when i did it ;]

i don't know how much rust is on your car but... my front subframe is falling a part... plus i did put preformance bushings in... they didn't fit to easy and they are polyurathane so it was difficult to get them in. also... if you have never taken off your old ball joint they get stuck in there pretty good... you need a big fing hamer. not to mention the bolts that hold the control arm to the torshon arm.. if you never remove those... then 16 years of salty roads and water can seize the bolts.. i hit it with a hamer so hard that the bolt was to fat to go through the old control arm so i had to saw off the head of the bolt. have you ever tryed unscrewing the sway bar when it is seized.(the bolt).. not fun...

it did only take me 2 hours to do one side... but the other side was from hell. and it took me a really long time to get the bushings in. other then that it's easy... the consept is easy and it would be easy if our cars weren't 16 years old or if i lived in california...  rust sucks.. man.

also the manual is posted in the gallery... so it has the step by step instructions to do it.. all the tork specs and what not... it  is the same as the civic.. so don't worry...

chris
no fighting in the war room!

Dr. Strangelove

xxpaulcpxx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I can help out later.  My 2nd kid (Shane) was just born on Dec 23, and my wife is still recovering from the C section.  Any other time I would be right out there to help you.  I used to live on Briar and Broadway.  Where is the car at - just in case the marbles fall in the right order and I can swing by to look at it?

crx_dx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
i forgot about the salty roads, and i didntk now you put poly bushings in, sorry.. the stock bushings are very easy to put in ;x .  also the bolt on the radius arm is ghay ;cx

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
you could do it.... it isn't that hard... just take pictures of it or remember or draw what went where... its easy. Well for me it was.

Earlycrxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
thanx for the support everyone. you guys really are the greatest. what ever help you guys can offer me is great, you guys have done too much already.  ohh yeah the car is located off lincoln and california., i just took some recent pics, but i don't know where to link it. and help from you guys would be great. i think that if i can find the parts i need than i'll keep it. i mean, i should be that hard with all your support. thanx everyone for doing this for me.
86 si

LEW

• member 420
  • PipPipPipPipPip
open ya up a geocities free webpage. upload you pics then link us to em. could use this all throught the process. their is a way to have em show up on posts but i don't know how.

user posted image
ebay id mike_lew
user posted image

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
this is an aol service... tom wouldn't like that. doesn't work to welll... pm tom (rpr) he will give you a username and password for the gallery section. post them there, it's fairly simple.

chirs

Dr. Strangelove

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I don't care if you link to pictures from joe shmoes server. I can and will setup a gallery album for anyone who wants one, no limits, no banners, no fees. As Chris said, email/pm me a username, password and album title.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Earlycrxsi @ Jan. 05 2003,11:57)
thanx for the support everyone. you guys really are the greatest. what ever help you guys can offer me is great, you guys have done too much already.  ohh yeah the car is located off lincoln and california., i just took some recent pics, but i don't know where to link it. and help from you guys would be great. i think that if i can find the parts i need than i'll keep it. i mean, i should be that hard with all your support. thanx everyone for doing this for me.
86 si

YES! You are so convinced.  I hope it works out bro!

JAKOB biggrin.gif
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

Earlycrxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
yeah im pretty much convinced, i just need to gather some parts together, if you guys have any spare used parts, i wouldn't mind buying it off you.. i need some advise, should i get new parts or used, since im on a low budget..

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
new control arms aren't that expensive new... and if you pull off used ball joints you might brake the bushing which will inturn rust the ball joint and bamm... there it goes again.. the new ones are nice and will bolt on pretty easy... just if you don't want a headacke don't get poly bushings.

chris

Dr. Strangelove

Earlycrxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
in total, how much do you guys think it will cost me if i try and fix it myself......i might need ask for some help from the chicago rexers....

xxpaulcpxx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
You should be able to get the parts you need used from U-pick-N-Pull in Summit.  There was only one 1st gen there last time, but usually there are at least three you can pull parts from.  Normally I would say to pull it off the junk car first, but in this case you shouldpull all the bad stuff off the rex then go looking for replacements at the junkyard.

m00m0bile

• m00m0bile
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 95 Mazda Miata
haha, I loved that place.  Last time I was there they had an RX7 with the engine still intact, but overall they do have a good selection and the cars aren't too bad of condition most of the time either.  Sometimes you can trick the people there too.  My buddy AJ got an intercooler off an old Saab for $25 by telling the guy it was a radiator.  I donno how he pulled that off, but hey, sometimes its worth a try to save some money.

83Rabbit

• White Rice
  • PipPip
I NEED the interior front pillar drivers side trim piece that runs along the side of the windshield
makin a custom guage pod wink.gif email me please at [email protected] with what you want for it and s/h. THANKS!
Brett
1986 Grabber Blue CRX Si: K&N Filter, koni reds, air/fuel guage, msd blaster ss, ss lines, teg front/rear brakes.

"If anyone on this board ever installs one of those things, and I hear about it, I will ban them for life. " - rpr