Leaf blower

• You cannot reply to this topic
37 replies to this topic

clarky456

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
Oh geez..  some of you crack me up!  Leaf blowers are for blowing leaves, Would the 5hp you gain be worth the laughs you'll receive?  Fact is, a leaf blower would be the best "electric turbo" available...  but its still nothing but a fan!!  A freaking fan!!!  Forced induction requires a compressor, thats right..  a mechanical device used to compress air, not push it.  Putting an electric turbo on your car would be just like removing the air filter.  Yes, you can gain some power (1/5ft lb torque... whats all this HP bs??), but thats only when the unit is on, and in that case you're pulling more load from your alternator.  If you want more power then be willing to spend the money (Turbo, SC's are going to cost around 2 grand minimum, if installed by mechanic).  The worst thing ever to enter "Automobile performance" has been the teenager (There are a few smart ones)...  Please, Research!!  And then research more!!  If you're still not convinced, give it a try!    Anyone into math http://www.redbird.n...clark/turbo.txt   This is research...  I'm going back out to finish an 87 d16a1 throttle body..  Later!   Joe

coolDUDEwithCRX

• RICEDoutMUTHAtrucka
  • PipPip
[hay you could just get a type R sticker... that should make it go faster... or an untena with a blue light on the top... lol]

no the real power is in the RedPepperRacing.com stickers

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 turbo zc (turbo edit) -1986 carb dohc zc hf
QUOTE (coolDUDEwithCRX @ Nov. 15 2002,15:49)
no the real power is in the RedPepperRacing.com stickers

yup... about 15 horse power gain... i suggest you try it
no fighting in the war room!

Dr. Strangelove

nivek2002

well since were on stupid ideas subject heres mine  :D - ive always thought about putting an air compressor(fast one) in the trunk or sumthin and hooking the hose to intake manifold and charge the intake air - i realize you would need a VERY fast compressor but it would be cool to have it and not loose anything to parastitic looses -  :D  (please dont try this at home kids)   biggrin.gif

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
What's going to run the compressor? Plus, any gain would probably be negated by the weight of the compressor. Remember the conversation a while back about reducing weight/gaining horsepower? Well, the reverse is true as well. If the compressor/tank weighs 100lbs, you'd be losing approx. 10HP due to the extra weight. Probably not that much, but it will affect it. Is the gaing more than that? Probably not.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

jiggerjosh

• IVIC
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 99' BMW _/_/_/ M3 Vert. & 97' BMW 325Ti M technik
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
dont forget the juice to run that baby..Probley not even enough with a stock alternator/ battery..
If only i knew what i was doing!!!

crx_1987

• Screw FI
  • PipPip
What if i got a gas powered leaf blower? Pop the hood, crank it up before i start the car. That way there would be no drain on the electrical system!!!

btw, i AM joking

xxpaulcpxx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Lets do this imaginary setup right:
- GAS powered leaf blower, hooked into the existing fuel lines.
- Electric start (no popping the hood and yanking a cord)
- Engaging the system will close off the normal air feed from outside and feed air direcly into the filter system OR be prefiltered and go directly to the TB.

No you have a non-parasitic system, it's active rather than passive (like the "tornado"), and works within the existing intake system.

You think this wouldn't improve performance any?

crx_1987

• Screw FI
  • PipPip
I dont know about it improving the performance. It probally would be so minimal that it wouldnt be worth the time and effort.
Also, what fun is an electric start? The best part is popping the hood and yanking the cord. biggrin.gif

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
It's an intriguing thought, but if it worked wouldn't somebody have done it already? You would need some kind of blow off valve, because I doubt the thing would handle back pressure very well. What kind of PSI do those things put out I wonder.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

nivek2002

ok well yeah i know you can probly think of a couple dozen down sides to it but still - and it would be a gas powered compressor - anyways just a brain fart while i was bored in class  :D

Gasoline Fumes

QUOTE (rpr @ Nov. 16 2002,15:03)
It's an intriguing thought, but if it worked wouldn't somebody have done it already?

It's been done at least once, I have a picture of a Toro leaf blower mounted in what looks like a Ford. But I don't know how it effected performance.

crx_1987

• Screw FI
  • PipPip
i wonder how the leaf blower would stand up to NOS? :0

87ZCSi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
ah guys...  good luck (unless you're me) getting an induction motor to work in a car properly.  Also, the tolerances aren't good on a leaf blower.  The pressurized air will go right back out the inlet and it will sit in equlibrium making turbulance rather than FORCING air in.
Welcome to the DOHC SIDE

clarky456

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks 87zcsi, people need to stay away from forced induction if they can't understand how and why it works!  Maybe these people are kidding, but...   I can't tell!  Mods should delete this post before someone takes it seriously.   Joe