Interest In 86-87 Crx Si Fiberglass Rocker Covers

• You cannot reply to this topic
54 replies to this topic

Mrfixit

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX si, 2003 Silverado4x4
I need a good pair as I bought the car without either one.Sign me up.

rickshank

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: [Racecar shopping] '11 BMW 335 M-Sport, 05 Chevy 2500HD diesel
I haven't closely looked at the differences. But I know my 84 EP car could use some new ones, and I'd like to have extras for the 86 I just got.
--
Ricky

Scott Giles

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '85 G Prepared CRX
QUOTE (kedwards @ Feb 14 2010, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd buy 4 pairs, if they were the "earlier" non-'86-'87 Si skirts. I could even provide a pair to use for molds.

I'm doing one part at a time Keith. If I convince him to make these, and people buy them, then it becomes easier to convince him to make other parts as well. If all goes well this could end up being a source for fiberglass copies of ALL of the stock plastic bits.

But thats a looong way down the road. First things first. I chose the 86-87 Si rocker covers to start with because they truly seem to be unicorns. Fewer of them were made in the first place, and very few have survived completely intact.

The feedback here is promising, even if only 50% of you actually follow through.
But I think people will buy them. Its not like you can get them somewhere else.

'85 CRX #157 GP (Hers)
SemperFiFund.org

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
$200 a pair is a good price for these. People on here aren't as cheap as you may think Scott.

From my experience, the folks who do not post often seem to have a good deal of money to throw at these cars.

Just a thought.

Please make these parts! Any replication of these plastics is good and totally essential. Otherwise, it won't be long before those lucky junkyard finds just don't happen anymore. And then, what do we do?

At that point, even the "cheap" folks will be forced to fork up the cash.

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic CRX DX(sold), 1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4, 1986 Honda Civic CRX Si
QUOTE (OG Wagon @ Feb 14 2010, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$200 a pair is a good price for these. People on here aren't as cheap as you may think Scott.

From my experience, the folks who do not post often seem to have a good deal of money to throw at these cars.

Just a thought.

Please make these parts! Any replication of these plastics is good and totally essential. Otherwise, it won't be long before those lucky junkyard finds just don't happen anymore. And then, what do we do?

At that point, even the "cheap" folks will be forced to fork up the cash.

Hit the nail on the head. I would definitely by a set for $200. I was just thinking about that the other day. I try to strip every rex I find in a TN junkyard, but lately it seems they are all getting crushed before I can get to them or the parts just arent worth it in the first place.

importzero

i would be interested in one pair like scott said follow ur dream and dont let go i would also mind one of those rear air dam from u scott and if the market gets better would not mind cf fenders but we will see
turbo zc !!!!!!

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (rickshank @ Feb 14 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, it's the piece below the door, running run the front fender to the rear wheel well opening. The sheet metal underneath is typically called a "rocker panel", so a fiberglass/plastic overlay is a "rocker cover".

Ahh. THAT piece. As in the one we haven't made here in Perth yet, and gets very easily broken.

Its a great idea, and good luck with it. You may get some interest here, but I think the freight will bump the price high enough we'd be better making them here ourselves. The feight would just about equal the mold set-up.
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

hondaguy72

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1998 Odyssey
in. Door skins/garnish and fenders please!

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    Garage View Garage
I don't think I could make these and make enough profit to justify the time. I really hate saying that. That being said, someone probably should do it, and I wanted to, but doing so as a business venture don't make sense for me.

At the same time, I am continually amazed at how many of the MP damper kits we sell.

Buford

• Merlin
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Toyota Tundra SR5
QUOTE (MrDisibility @ Feb 17 2010, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think I could make these and make enough profit to justify the time. I really hate saying that. That being said, someone probably should do it, and I wanted to, but doing so as a business venture don't make sense for me.

At the same time, I am continually amazed at how many of the MP damper kits we sell.

Mr> D. but if some one could do these couldn't you broker these??

As Far as the MP dampers (gee you be gettin very english now), Have 2 sets...If we can't get the full race version done, I liked your idea of further develop the single adjust version for high level performance. We have the same problem.....which good racer will do the development.???
Buford Out

Scott Giles

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '85 G Prepared CRX
Just to follow up, this project is progressing. Its progressing slowly but it is progressing.
The hard part has been finding usable parts to mold, but that ball is rolling now.

Adam Malley (if his name sounds familiar, he has won a couple of SCCA Production class national championships in the Japanese battle flag clad CVCC) is going to be doing the work, and Adam does VERY good work. I have zero worries about the finished product.

86-87 side skirts will be first on the list. Then header panels. Then possibly some of the other plastic bits.

Preliminary cost estimates for the skirts (in fiberglass) is $200 a set. Carbon Fiber will obviously be more, but if you want it he can do it.

I'll follow up again with contact and lead time info as we get further along, the molds are finished, etc., etc.

Keep your fingers crossed guys. It looks like this is going to happen. An actual retail source to replace your busted plastic bits with new parts at a reasonable price.

PS - Keith Edwards... check your PMs in the sandbox. There is some info there for you.

'85 CRX #157 GP (Hers)
SemperFiFund.org

3rd1stGEN

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si; '07 Tundra; '01 Honda Magna
    • Image Gallery
That's great. When I get around to saving some money for paint (probably next year), and I will defiantly buy a set off of you for $200. That’s a great price. Hopefully you’ll have fenders and header panels available by then to, because I’d buy those from you as well.

Chris

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: from point 'A' to point 'B' daily.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Buford @ Feb 17 2010, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As Far as the MP dampers (gee you be gettin very english now), Have 2 sets...If we can't get the full race version done, I liked your idea of further develop the single adjust version for high level performance. We have the same problem.....which good racer will do the development.???

+1

Sorry for hijack...just had to comment. blush.gif

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si
after getting news that my subframe assembly was not stitch welded, rather just had a bead here and a bead there, and that the WHOLE DAMN THING was gonna need to be redone......argh....

this is the best news all day!

I'm in for a pair. And I got the money. biggrin.gif
Cannot drive with the window up

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
My plan was to stock up on existing used stock and repair w/ plastics welder as I go.

But I beleive the supplies are dwindling and this will become a major issue into the next 10yrs to the future.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Keepin' it OEM