Crxmas 2010 Update - Or Downdate.

• You cannot reply to this topic
87 replies to this topic

Emefef

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '11 Tucson, '06 Montana, sold the '87 CRX, '99 CBR (half a car)
I peaked through some old boxes last night and found a couple of photos. I had to scan them into pdf then convert them, so they probably aren't as clear as the printed pictures I'm looking at, but they should be okay.

These are pictures from July of 1993. My wife was 7 months pregnant and we needed a bigger car, so we were trading it (within the family) for a Chev Astro. I loved that van, and it was practical, but it could never compare to what she gave up. That's why I'm doing this.

On the back of this picture she wrote "car washed and cleaned...traded for van"

On the back of this one she wrote "My Beautiful Car!" "Say Goodbye!"

I hope I can recapture some of the that with the new one.....

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si
Damn! BIG SHOES TO FILL!!

Thanks for those photos. That's a nice touch.

I'm pretty certain she'll like the new one just as much. wink.gif
Cannot drive with the window up

Cobourg Classic Hondas

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si, 76 Civic CVCC, 65 Honda S600 convertible, 65 Honda S600 Coupe, 08 Civic Si sedan
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Tim @ Nov 25 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn! BIG SHOES TO FILL!!

Thanks for those photos. That's a nice touch.

I'm pretty certain she'll like the new one just as much. wink.gif

Brings back memories of my 86, I even had a similar nose bra though mine didn't have the embroidered CRX logo.

Emefef

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Cobourg Classic Hondas @ Nov 25 2010, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brings back memories of my 86, I even had a similar nose bra though mine didn't have the embroidered CRX logo.

I had forgotten about the bra. THe antenna (but not a radio), the cargo cover, the bra and the foglights were all dealer options or accessories. Oh yeah, and the wheel covers - I'm still looking for a set of those if anyone has them......

blitz_crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 crx, 2x 84 civic
WOW I haven't been on RPR in years, I spotted a couple first gens on kijiji and they reminded me of this place....

For ontario I must say that car's beautiful, definitely got a steal on it, I have the other style of hubcaps not those ones, to bad.

I hate you, you might've made me want to go out and buy one again..

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
Just reading through this. You sir are a great guy, what your doing here for your wife is awesome.

I feel like a slouch of a husband. Got me inspired to do something big....

Anyway, best of luck and please let us know what she says!

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Emefef

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (OG Wagon @ Nov 26 2010, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just reading through this. You sir are a great guy, what your doing here for your wife is awesome.

I feel like a slouch of a husband. Got me inspired to do something big....

Anyway, best of luck and please let us know what she says!

I don't know about you being a slouch of a husband, but I followed your build and it was inspiring. I won't come close to that, and I have a good excuse - my wife always wanted everything to remain stock.

After I give her the car, I'll be showing her pictures of what others have done. She'll definitely see pics of Liz, but despite that fact the you were inspired by so many others, yours is another I'll be showing her.

Mark F

Emefef

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
If I had done nothing, and hoped for a nice black '86 to pop in the classifieds sometime before Christmas, I would have ended up with nothing and given up on the idea.

Since I bought a red '87, and put a bunch of time into it, sneaking around for parts and time to work on it, look what pops up:

http://toronto.kijij...AdIdZ244408341#

It has about 800 km more on it than the one I bought. It's the right year and the right colour. I'm almost afraid to go look at it.

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si
Man, what is UP with Canadians not driving their CRX's more than that!?!?!

Shit, I'd be owning two if it were me. tongue.gif
Cannot drive with the window up

Emefef

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Tim @ Nov 29 2010, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, what is UP with Canadians not driving their CRX's more than that!?!?!

Shit, I'd be owning two if it were me. tongue.gif

Hey, we drove ours! It had over 100,000 on it in those photos. My wife took really good care of it. I don't know about these other ones.

The response I got was that the body is in pretty good shape, it's a daily driver, and he doesn't think there are any holes. Has new brakes.

So you're right, I'm considering owning two! Is that bad?

blitz_crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 crx, 2x 84 civic
Damn Haha I emailed him for his number, I'm really on the fence about it, I'm afraid i'd end up driving it into the ground and not restoring it.

Edited by blitz_crx, 29 November 2010 - 05:21 PM.

Emefef

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I think I'm getting close. I got rid of the de Sol green on the header panel:

A little rough - I don't have any place warm to paint (no garage) so I had to do it in a basement bathroom that's under renovation. Fans in the windows to exhaust the fumes. Not perfect, obviously, but it will certainly look better Christmas morning than GREEN.

Now I have to find a way to get the front bumper cover off again, and take the fenders off - even if I don't replace them yet, I need them off to get the screws into the stays that hold the header panel on at each end.

I'm hopeful that I'll remember to adjust the alignment of the driver's door while I have that fender off, too!

I am right, aren't I, that the fenders have to come off to properly replace the header panel (hondaspeak - Nose Mask)?

Interceptor

• Check your rearview if I'm not behind !
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '84 Honda CRX - '72 Datsun S30Z - '89 Austin Mini
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Looking good. As I've heard & heard many times, you can never forget a CRX. No doubt she'll be amazed biggrin.gif

I've always wondered what bras are for? Is it just for apparel ?

WTB Blue CRX interior parts & Dashboard

Emefef

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Interceptor @ Dec 8 2010, 02:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking good. As I've heard & heard many times, you can never forget a CRX. No doubt she'll be amazed biggrin.gif

I've always wondered what bras are for? Is it just for apparel ?

They were supposed to protect the paint - except you always had to make sure there was no dust on the car when you put it on, and you couldn't leave it on all the time because it had to be dry, and generally it's just a pain in the A$$.

This morning, with the temp at -8 (celsius, I'm crazy, not stupid), I got the fenders and header panel on.

This one is a little blurry. It seems the blackberry takes pretty good shots outside, but not so clear with the flash. This is in the shed, on top of my tarp-covered bike. It was the only place I could get inside and away from everyone to work on it. These panels were from an Si, so I had to paint the grey.

And here they are put on this morning. I lost a couple of clips, so I have just a few screws and the mudflaps to get back on properly. There are some black strips left on the fenders from the previous owner - extra moldings glued on. I have to clean that off too.

Emefef

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
IT'S READY!

There are some very minor things left to do. I'm not going to keep moving it someplace warm just to get the little black strips off the fenders - I'll wait until after the Christmas surprise.

I know it was in pretty good shape to begin with, but the I just kept finding more work. Here's a couple of shots to show what I had to clean up:

Here are a couple of shots of it cleaned up, then wrapped up for a couple of weeks until I bring it home in the wee hours of Christmas day.