Project Renaissance

• You cannot reply to this topic
67 replies to this topic

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
that last one looks the same as last time. almost fixed eh? lol

the rest of your car looks very clean. make sure you really check those back corners where the drains are, behind the structural inner wall that makes it hard to get to the outer fender from the inside. (if you dont know what i mean by that i'll take pics) but mine was rusted out there and made it to the outside visible bodywork, as well as behind the bumper. catch this before it messes up the paint because yours look like it is still in decent shape!
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic CRX DX(sold), 1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4, 1986 Honda Civic CRX Si
QUOTE (kaymo @ May 19 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that last one looks the same as last time. almost fixed eh? lol

the rest of your car looks very clean. make sure you really check those back corners where the drains are, behind the structural inner wall that makes it hard to get to the outer fender from the inside. (if you dont know what i mean by that i'll take pics) but mine was rusted out there and made it to the outside visible bodywork, as well as behind the bumper. catch this before it messes up the paint because yours look like it is still in decent shape!

Lol, I kno it looks the same. I just put the same pics up. I have patched the larger hole, but I'm in the process of cleaning up the weld. I already have checked those drains btw. Before I put the interior back together, I will clean the drain tubes and clean in that area. There is one spot on the rear passenger side where it has already rusted through, but the spot is only about 1 or 2 inches, so an easy fix. But once I get done fixing the rust, I will take pictures and post them. And as for the paint, it actually is in great shape on everything except the hood and front fenders. The paint has chipped up there, but the rest just needs a good buff, wash, and wax.

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic CRX DX(sold), 1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4, 1986 Honda Civic CRX Si
Hey all! I know I don't really have a lot of people following my build anyways, but sorry for no updates lately. I have been back and forth on whether or not I want to keep my rex because I am very tight on cash at the moment. The job market sucks. Anywho, no matter what I decide is the best alternative, I keep going to bed at night dreaming about what could be. On Sept. 1st, I started at a mechanic school. Our first lesson is about engine rebuild, diagnostics, and repair. So, I have decided to pull my motor and start tearing it down while I come up with the money for the rebuild. Updates may be fairly slow due to the fact that I am so busy, but I figured what the hell? My motor currently has just over 310,000 miles on it. My goal is to have the motor pulled this weekend and on a engine stand at my school by monday. I will take pics throughout the weekend of the teardown and pull, so I will try to be updating more often. The only issue I am running into is what to do to it. I would like to come up with a cost effective build that still gets a bit of a horsepower gain. I have access to a machine shop at the school and every tool I could ever need. I plan on replacing all the internals and all that jazz. I would really like to get some suggestions from you guys. Anybody that has done a build on this motor and is happy with it. Please help me out. Thanks guys, and I'll be sure to post soon!

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
Good luck bro! Wish I could be there with you... work is long though. lol Remember to hit me up sometime after you get the motor out and we'll get you together a game plan.

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
Alright Cam, will do. My motor pull was put on hold because my grandmother passed away on Friday. I was able to get some work done today, however, my original plan to have it out by tomorrow will not happen due to the funeral tomorrow. I will resume pulling it on Tuesday. So hopefully I will get an update with some pics by the end of the week. I'll keep you all updated.

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
Wow, been a long time since my last update. I have been busy starting a new job and a new school. I have finally got into the swing of things and slowly started racking up parts for my new ideas for the rex. I will be converting it to look like an '85 Si. I know some have done this in the past, and I just cant get over how beautiful that bodystyle is. I just love it. So I have been racking up some body panels, and other various parts including some JDM. I also may have a very big present coming soon. I'm working out a deal at the moment, so I will keep you guys updated as I know. It may be a couple days, but I am really keeping the fingers crossed.

I'll get my past few project pics up sometime today.

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
Sorry guys, still haven't had time for the pics. I'll put a couple up when I get home from school today, and I will probably be able to get some more tomorrow. I have some recessed headlights and a 140 mph gauge cluster on the way tomorrow. Will have the 85 Si spoiler on the way likely next week. Almost done with working some of the other parts deals out(including the big one). Also going to a junkyard very soon to pick up an integra big brake conversion as well as some other CRX parts.

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
I gotta give a teaser shot of weber's possible surprise... I just cant wait buddy. ph34r.gif

enjoy cool.gif

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
Thanks Cam. I am pretty stoked myself. I am getting ready to upload the pics I have been promising sometime tonight, but I can't seem to get photobucket to work fast enough for my liking right now. I have a couple things to do, but should get the pics in a bit. I will post them up as soon as I can.

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
As promised(even though a little late) here are some pics of late. Just a few recently aquired parts and some of the old EW4 and motor pull. After I started at my new school, I was jobless and of course as things would go, my truck's tags expired. dry.gif I drove the rex to school for about a week until I was able to get some money for new tags. After that I decided to go ahead with my motor rebuild and interior work. I parked the car where she's sat since September. Here is the engine bay before...

And after...(Sorry for the mess, I got a little lazy and impatient with my first motor pull...)

Then I tore down the motor to find even with 310,000 miles, it was pretty clean and well taken care of.

Next it was time to start racking up some parts while I saved the money to get some machining work done and get the rebuild kit. I was doing this in conjunction with my class as we were talking about engines. Old School REX and I went up to St. Louis on a hunch of some free CRX parts, and with our guts telling us no(bad neighborhoods) we were pleasantly surprised. These were posted in another thread that same day by Old School REX, but here are a couple again.

Ending Inventory
-2 mint doors with mint lower panels...CHECK
-2 mint fenders and a mint header panel with no cracks...CHECK
-a mint hood...CHECK
-mint driver's side rocker panel...CHECK
-and a few other random pieces...CHECK
Needless to say we were pretty excited. I also got a bumper so I almost have all the lower grey pieces for my '85 Si conversion. Then a couple of weeks ago, I came across this '87 in a local junkyard. I got what I could as we do not see them much in my town. I usually have to drive to Nashville or Knoxville for the finds.

Well, here are a few pics of the lost few months. Not really much progress, but at least getting ready to start back on it again once this snow decides to stop. My present will be on its way shortly, so I can start planning for that soon and work on getting the car looking good again in the meantime. I will try to get some more pics as I find them. I have been sorting through a lot of them lately. I will be back in touch soon!

Jeff

civic_zr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '84 CRX Ballade Sports, '86 Civic Si, '93 Crx SiR Turbo, '79 Civic Turbo Racecar, '79 Civic, '78 Civic.
Can't believe I only just spotted this thread! Looking good Jeff, man I really want one of those rear winglets.
After genuine old school JDM Parts ? Pm me :) We specialize in exporting quality, and rare parts for Old School Hondas.

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
QUOTE (civic_zr @ Feb 18 2010, 02:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't believe I only just spotted this thread! Looking good Jeff, man I really want one of those rear winglets.

Thanks Matt! I'm getting ready to get back to work on her now that the weather is starting to warm up a bit. Got a bunch of new parts that need installed. But I definitely can't wait til the crowning jewel... wink.gif I hope it gets here sooner than we think... **fingers crossed**

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
Hey guys!

Picked up a shipment today. Ordered it months ago and after a lot of stress and paperwork its finally here. I have a few teaser pics for the time being.......

Back home with the goods...

Was forced to pose with the box for this one...

Los Angeles??? What could be in this box?...

Stamp on the side of the box... What could NZ stand for??...

That's all for now. Today has been a long day and I'm ready to go to bed. I will post up some more pics tomorrow...

To Be Continued...

Jeff

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
(begins slow clap) lets get busy buddy... lets get busy. wink.gif

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Old School REX @ Sep 1 2010, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(begins slow clap) lets get busy buddy... lets get busy. wink.gif

Lol. Well guys, onto the contents of the box. In February, civic_zr posted a genuine JDM ZC for sale. I helped my buddy Old School REX do his d16a1 swap and I caught the DOHC fever. I could have bought a d16a1, but at the time he had it posted I was trying to get my credit built up. So I decided to take out a loan and buy the ZC from Auckland, New Zealand. Matt was a pleasure to deal with. It was his first freight shipment as well as mine. The shipment took a bit longer than I originally expected. Last minute paperwork and fees started popping up. I also had to put it on hold for awhile due to some major flooding in my hometown in May. But after the long journey, stacks of paper work, and neverending stress, I picked my box up yesterday. Included was the entire swap: ZC engine, tranny, axles, hubs, ecu, wiring harness, factory airbox, and intake manifold. I also bought a header to spice it up a bit. Matt included some JDM goodies as well. Can't wait to get started on the install...

JDM ZC

4-2-1 FGK Header

CR-X DOHC Floor Mats (for a right hand drive car... huh.gif)

Matt said he was unaware of the kilometers this motor had, but after pulling the valve cover I was surprised to find that so far it seems to be pretty clean. *fingers crossed*

That's all for now. I will post more pics as I get the motor unpacked and on a stand. I plan on freshening it up a bit before it goes in. Can't wait...

Jeff