Strut Bar Prototype

• You cannot reply to this topic
88 replies to this topic

1g Supremacy

Dinky my ass. My carb'd motor's making nearly as much power as a ZC. laugh.gif WE NEED A STRUT BAR!

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I'll try and cover all the points:

renan: yes it's a 91 engine, it was not a simple swap

vervepies: price to be determined but we are shooting for around $75 CDN or less.

shadowboy: we checked on Masta's car, and it looks like 99% for sure it will fit the stock SI, you may have to move a couple of vacuum hoses.

BUCKETHEAD: it has bends so it will fit the carbed cars as well. We want a bar that will work for as many cars as possible. If you want equal bends, we can do equal bends, that's not a problem. The reason I did them different because we needed a shallower, longer bend to clear the wiper motor, I could have done the same on the drivers side, just never thought to do it that way.

As for it being strong enough, I don't think that will be a problem. This thing is beefy.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

87Hybrid

• Too Many Projects Too Little Time
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 2002 Chevrolet Silverado, 1987 Civic hatch, 85 Civic Sedan, 76 Blazer,2000 Jetta
    • Image Gallery
What is the material that it is made out of?
"AAAHHH Teamsters, If only I could be as lazy and surley as a Teamster."  Homer Simpson

87 Hybrid hatchback and 85 sedan.
user posted image
user posted image
SportInjectedClub

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
i dont think that will fit a d16a1 awap the gap betwwen fire wall and IM in lik 1/2 inch good prototype i am intrested in it

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
87 Hybrid: the bar is mild steel, the plate is stainless, only because that's the only plate I had in my garage. We could do the whole thing in stainless, but it would be more expensive. We'll see.

ghost: I think you guys are missing the fact that the bar angles UP towards the firewall, in fact I think it might just touch the hood in a couple of spots. There is a TON of clearance. I tried to take some side pics that showed this but they didn't come out too well. Check the gallery album to see what I mean.

Ghost-One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (rpr @ Jul 6 2004, 10:41 AM)
87 Hybrid: the bar is mild steel, the plate is stainless, only because that's the only plate I had in my garage. We could do the whole thing in stainless, but it would be more expensive. We'll see.

ghost: I think you guys are missing the fact that the bar angles UP towards the firewall, in fact I think it might just touch the hood in a couple of spots. There is a TON of clearance. I tried to take some side pics that showed this but they didn't come out too well. Check the gallery album to see what I mean.

I guess i dont got a good vantage point

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
You can sort of see it here:

Ghost-One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
One day tom you are goign to recieve a huge check form me

Vandemar

• moved on to bigger engines
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '17 Chev SS (Commodore)
I definitely want one, especially if they're anywhere near $75CDN.

DragStRacer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX DX
yeah, i'd definitely want one at that price, and if it works with stock strut tower or seom type of alternative. is there any plans to make it connect to the firewall?

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (DragStRacer @ Jul 6 2004, 12:48 PM)
yeah, i'd definitely want one at that price, and if it works with stock strut tower or seom type of alternative. is there any plans to make it connect to the firewall?

We are planning on making one that does not use the camber plates, so yes that is in the works. There aren't any plans to connect to the firewall, but it could be optional. It is against the rules in some race organizations, as far as I remember.

DragStRacer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX DX
well, i guess i know what i'm saving my money for biggrin.gif

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
First off, much love for creating products for the 1st Gen CRX/3rd Gen Civic/1st Gen Integra.

It must be tricky to satisfy so many different users (FI,carbed, hybrid, etc.).

A couple of comments:

Commercially, there are camber plates (OPM) and strut bars (Cusco) but they do not work well together. I have seen a beautifully home made combination of camber plate and strut bar that made a very clean installation. I think you should continue to develop a camber plate/strut bar combination.

The one thing I like about my Cusco strut bar is that it is adjustable.

Finding a way to tie into the firewall would stiffen up the front a whole lot. I know that some organizing agencies will not allow them (those racers can use Cusco) but those of us who want optimum performance a firewall attachment would be great.

Did you install your camber plates in correctly? Do your camber plates offer camber and caster adjustment? Maybe I am off base but it looks like your adjustment is for and aft which is for caster.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
First off, much love for creating products for the 1st Gen CRX/3rd Gen Civic/1st Gen Integra.

It must be tricky to satisfy so many different users (FI,carbed, hybrid, etc.).
That's the understatement of the year... smile.gif And thank you for creating and maintaining the 1G FAQ.

A couple of comments:

Commercially, there are camber plates (OPM) and strut bars (Cusco) but they do not work well together. I have seen a beautifully home made combination of camber plate and strut bar that made a very clean installation. I think you should continue to develop a camber plate/strut bar combination.

Not to worry, we are doing that as well. But we have to be realistic, not everyone wants both.

The one thing I like about my Cusco strut bar is that it is adjustable.
That is a consideration, but it will increase the cost a fair bit, since now we are into machining and tooling. Just as an FYI we would need to buy a tap that would probably cost more that $200.

Finding a way to tie into the firewall would stiffen up the front a whole lot.  I know that some organizing agencies will not allow them (those racers can use Cusco) but those of us who want optimum performance a firewall attachment would be great.

Agreed. It is a prototype, so we are not set in stone with the design. The problem is finding a suitable place to attach to.

Did you install your camber plates in correctly? Do your camber plates offer camber and caster adjustment? Maybe I am off base but it looks like your adjustment is for and aft which is for caster.

Both. I have no idea what the alignment is currently set at, but I definitely have a fair bit of negative camber dialed in, not sure about the caster but it is definitely not stock.

Thanks for the constructive (as always) criticism. I still have the rear disc swap sitting on the shelf, gathering dust... smile.gif

BigOrange

• I pitty the fool aint got no honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI, 1985 Civic Wagon Turbo, 1971 n600, 1972 n600, 1972 n600, 1991 miata, 2002 turbo protege 5
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
.......AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

YOU SHOULD ALSO SEE IF IT FITS A FWD WAGON rolleyes.gif

BigOrange
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suck

If a Hatch is Bread van, then what is a Wagon? A bread bus?
Wagoboost project, 7psi and giggling :)

Turbo Si Wagovan clan member