Thinking About Starting A Company To Make Custom 1g Crx Parts.

• You cannot reply to this topic
37 replies to this topic

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
Fireman,

I don't have much clout around here anymore, but I say GO FOR IT!

But first, lets see some of your work....
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
Posted Image
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Fireman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRXsi, 1978 F150, and 1989 Ranger
I have primarily done engine building and restoration of classics, but i can and will post pics of my favorite project tomorrow. Both befor and now. Be warned though, the pics are of a 1978 F150 4x4, but it was one of my first projects.

I am having trouble posting the images, but will continue trying. Any suggestions? I wil also post pics of a ranger I rebuilt the front end on, not custom but a good learning experience.

Edited by Fireman, 05 August 2012 - 02:20 AM.

staticchmbr

• Work in progress
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2x crx in the rust graveyard, 87 crx si (building), 2004 wrx
    Garage View Garage
very quick question/request.. fireman, can you please fill out your profile and location??

^ ^ ^
definitely show some of your work. we have had a problem in the past with people "building parts" and taking the money.

i look forward to seeing other parts available for our cars.. in fact, we were talking about this yesterday at eric_L's meet. chedda makes some QUALITY parts.. RPR is a peaceful place where i hope we can all get along, and not step on eachothers toes. i see where chedda could be mad, but as long as fireman isnt trying to build the same parts and undercut his prices, i'd say go for it!
valvecover.gif
87 crx si (in pieces)
If you don't live for something, you'll die for nothing.

NWClassicHonda

• "Leader of the pack"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 87 Civic Si, 88 Integra Special
    Garage View Garage
Less talk, more action.

"for all your pre-1988 Honda restoration needs 206-940-8173"

"vouch thread"
http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1

1g, 2g, 3g Civic

1g CRX

1g Integra

1g, 2g, 3g Accord

1g, 2g, 3g Prelude

cars, parts, collectibles and more!

http://www.nwclassichonda.com

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage

I am having trouble posting the images, but will continue trying. Any suggestions?

I put my pics on Photobucket and link them here.

http://photobucket.com/

Jeff

CSPCRX

Its a free market so dont let anyone chase you away. You have an idea for a part build it, show us it, and tells us what it would cost. There are so many things you can not get for these cars any longer there is room for everyone to come up with parts and maybe even build a better mouse trap. Good luck and what do you plan on building first?

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I agree it is a free market, but don't do like Zynga, just copy someone elses work to make a part to sell. That would really harm the community more than help in my opinion.

We were talking about things like corner lights and such. But I thought of something on the way home, wouldn't you need Honda's permission to directly clone a part they sold, even if they don't sell it now. It was there design, so for 100% replicas you may have a legal issue. The older members may remember the Cyber Cafe (on of the first places to get RPR gear) incident. Right now I think many of our aftermarket parts are OK as we are not going for 100% clones, we are using different materials (fiber glass or carbon fiber instead of plastic, aluminum or some plastic like stuff instead of rubber. Basically none of these could be put next to a Honda part they replace and be confused for one another. Maybe I'm wrong about Honda's permission, but if you want 100% replica it will have to have Honda the "H" or some 3rd party brand logo (Stanley or such), and that is where I think the legal line may be a problem.

Legal concerns aside, I'm not sure you can reach a volume of sales needed to make the price affordable without the manufacture taking a loss in the end. I know someone mentioned about selling over time for years, but you still need a place to store them and no shelf space is 100% free, each month that location can have a calculated value.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it done. But I would hate for it to get finished or a lot of investment made and something like a lawyer cause problems.

Maybe someone should see if they can buy the models and right from Honda, then you would legal be authorized to use and have the molds to do it 100% right. Yes, I think this would be very costly.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

1g Supremacy

There're plenty of parts that could be put out without stepping on anyone else's toes. Things like the 1g visor spoiler or the '85 Si spoiler, etc. There are a lot of plastic, commonly-broken parts on our cars that nobody reproduces and we're forced to try to refurbish whatever we can get our hands on. As someone who just recently came across nice, clean rockers, door panels and front/rear bumpers, only to find that even in great condition they're hard and brittle, I'd love the option to buy new rather then try my luck on 30 year-old parts.

Fireman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
This is what I started with

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

this is what they look like now

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know that these are not crx pics, but they are two of the vehicles that I have done all the work myself. and I was asked for a show of what I can do. The ranger is not yet done though.

Fireman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
By the way, thanks Jeff.

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    Garage View Garage
I say, if you can do something we can't or won't, or something we already do better than we do, go for it. But make sure you don't splash in here with nice parts and cheap prices and then disappear in a year because it isn't worth it. Price too low or expectations too high will end your business before it starts.

staticchmbr

• Work in progress
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2x crx in the rust graveyard, 87 crx si (building), 2004 wrx
    Garage View Garage
please can someone make a fiberglass reproduction of the 85 crx si spoiler with the wiper hole shaved?!?!?!?!?
valvecover.gif
87 crx si (in pieces)
If you don't live for something, you'll die for nothing.

NWClassicHonda

• "Leader of the pack"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Anybody can slap some paint on a car and restore it, building a name in this industry takes years and doesn't come very easy. Trust me I know. My 2 cents, leave the parts making to somebody that really dedicates their life to our hobby. We don't need more people with big dreams getting peoples hopes up for nothing. I don't see any of your work that makes you stand out over the others anyways. No offence but like I said before, less talk and more action. Start with making parts for your car and if people like them then sell them. It's that simple. Untill then quit trying to convince people online and start fabbing up parts. ~Danny @ NW Classic Honda

"vouch thread"

1g, 2g, 3g Civic

1g CRX

1g Integra

1g, 2g, 3g Accord

1g, 2g, 3g Prelude

NWClassicHonda

• "Leader of the pack"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Anybody can slap some paint on a car and restore it, building a name in this industry takes years and doesn't come very easy. Trust me I know. My 2 cents, leave the parts making to somebody that really dedicates their life to our hobby. We don't need more people with big dreams getting peoples hopes up for nothing. I don't see any of your work that makes you stand out over the others anyways. No offence but like I said before, less talk and more action. Start with making parts for your car and if people like them then sell them. It's that simple. Untill then quit trying to convince people online and start fabbing up parts. ~Danny @ NW Classic Honda

"vouch thread"

1g, 2g, 3g Civic

1g CRX

1g Integra

1g, 2g, 3g Accord

1g, 2g, 3g Prelude