redsautorehab

• 3gen enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 00 Dodge Durango, 01 Ford F250, 99 Chevy Tracker, 82 suzuki rm250
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Gabe87CRX @ May 21 2010, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate to chime in like a moron but.... the fuel pump is only an inline pump on these cars... and those posts on the pump DO get corroded and icky...

Have you removed the pump to check it?

simple and easy check, how much voltage do you have at the pump? check between chassis ground, and positive to the pump
if it's low, how much do you have going into the main relay?
the ecu only grounds the relay. if the pump comes on, the problem is not on the ecu end of it, it is on the power end.
also, if the voltage at the pump is good, how's the ground for the pump? that may be your whole issue. check between ground at the pump, and positive at the pump.
"You play hard to get, I play hard to get rid of" Fez, That 70's Show

my website if you need parts for your car, and i don't have them at on my website, just pm me. I can get most of the common parts for our cars.

my vouch thread

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
Both of you guys are correct, I think that the ground on the fuel pump is not correct; however at the ECU. I did some checking of the voltage of the pins and came to the conclusion that I have some goofy grounds. So I'll look into that more later. Right now I'm busy trying to work out the details to add to my stable of cars............................................................................
.... ph34r.gif Can't wait... more on that later though, its for another thread. cool.gif

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
QUOTE (Old School REX @ May 23 2010, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Both of you guys are correct, I think that the ground on the fuel pump is not correct; however at the ECU. I did some checking of the voltage of the pins and came to the conclusion that I have some goofy grounds. So I'll look into that more later. Right now I'm busy trying to work out the details to add to my stable of cars............................................................................
.... ph34r.gif Can't wait... more on that later though, its for another thread. cool.gif

Your getting that hella-deal in the FS forum, aren't you?! Nice!!

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (OG Wagon @ May 23 2010, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your getting that hella-deal in the FS forum, aren't you?! Nice!!

ph34r.gif

You know nothing.....................................................

(keeps fingers crossed)

masterpenguin

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I would like to let you know that I just sat and read your whole build thread, and must say it is impressive, and was very informational. Good work
-Rob

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Thanks man! Hope to get things going again on this one. Just two more weeks and hopefully the progress will continue.

WikedCrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
You Sir are my inspirationn!! Im building my 87 crx, LSvtec swap + wire/engine tuck + Painted engine bay and other stuff hope I can post some day picks and progress. smile.gif I have a question about you wheels, are they 15x7??? and what offset??? Thanks! smile.gif

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
yeah, bumps. What's up with this project?

I suppose you've been a bit busy enjoying the new toy of late, huh?!

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Yeah, the wheels are 15X7.5 with a 38mm offset. IIRC

This project has screeched to a halt as I just got burnt out on the wiring... I'm not gonna lie, I think I need help from someone else. lol This summer I'm going to pick back up a bit hopefully.

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Cool. I know what you mean. Sometimes you just have to take a step back a bit, cool down, and think.

Fortunately, you have another ride to get you around town in the interim. Looking forward to summer updates. Don't worry, I'm sure peeps on here can help you to figure it all out. My wiring skill = fail. Sorry I can't help any! I can solder it all up for you though!

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I wouldn't try playing around with the ecu terminal checks just yet. Based on my builds, I am not convinced its that level of wiring problem.

Just look at the main components and re-check they are all working. Are you getting enough fuel to the front of the car - easy check with a disconnected fuel line, the manual advises how much to expect. Are the injectors working - take the fuel rail off and turn the engine over, but fire them into a towel and have a fire extinguisher ready. Strong spark at the plug. Timing - it took me five goes once to get that right as the timing belt loved slipping a bit. Stupid checks like plug leads in right order - I still triple check that every time as the #1 position is different on different dizzys, and I work on three different engines. Replace the ecu with another one. Just redo all those basic component checks, so you are confident you have them working. If one isn't then work back to find the problem.

The rewiring - be paranoid and recheck it's right and nothing is missing. I had to rerun a power wire to the alternator because I'd left it out, and the engine didn't want to go without it.

Just check for broken wiring at the plugs - old wiring lets go.

If all the components check out fine, then try wire tracing, voltage and resistance and continuity checks. For that you need a decent multimeter, some long wires to go from engine bay to cabin, and if you can pin ends that will fit into the ecu harness - it can be difficult to get contact. But I'd only go there after checking the rest first - as you are anticipating, it's hours of lonely and frustrating grind.
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Thanks for the words of wisdom anjin, I'm sure its something stupid simple and I've just overlooked it. lol I will definately keep you all posted.

-Cam

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Ok, just a quick post here. This is a placeholder for my future reference. As of today, this car RUNNNS!!! Well, let me correct myself. It "starts".  Maybe some of you can chime in?

I still have to add an OBD-I O2 sensor and wire that into the jumper harness.  Other than that it's pretty much buttoned up, but at the moment it runs a little choppy, has ZERO throttle (seriously, its like the throttle plate is glued shut even when its wide open.  It makes no difference to the RPM), and only runs for about 3-4 minutes and then just shuts off like you turned the key off.   :huh:

I really think that adding the O2 sensor will clear up the no throttle control issue. I'm just not very familiar with OBD-I wiring and how the ECU communicates with the motor.  On OBD-0, you can unplug the O2 and all the car will do is have crappy throttle response if that.  Would not having one wired in at all make the ECU shut the car down after a set time?  OBD-I O2 sensors are heated, no?  

Other than that, it seems to be going well.  I have a pretty good oil leak coming from a dried out oil cooler O-ring.  (this car has been sitting for 5 years, the freshly built motor for about that long as well, I guess it just dried up)  It has a slight miss to it as well.  I think one of the random fuel injectors I have in this thing is stuck shut or something.  All of the screens in them had stopped up, we had to take them out and clean them up.  I guess that's about all for now... I'm tired, its late, and I'm rambling.  

As always, any input is greatly appreciated! 

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
Maybe it won't take two years to update your build next time lol.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

The 02 sensor shouldnt have any effect on the car running, but i did witness a 02 sensor last week on a 99 Accord V6 cause it to run shitty.  Unplugged it and it ran great.  I dont run one on my car, but i have the ECTune and wideband tuned the car.

I would check for stuck injectors since its been sitting a while, or bad firing order.

Posted Image