13" Tires? Which Size?

• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

evilGearhead

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 crx si
im trying to figure out which size tires for my car, i plan to autox it this year, and its lowered, so i want the best footprint with no rubbing, theyre the 85 si 13" wheels., 5.5 wide. im going to buy some cheap sumitomos friom tirerack for my first set, so what size?
185/60s?
215/50?
175/50?

i have no idea

My how-to's
JDM digital dash
JDM power windows

My project needs your help
Parts wanted

viper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Blue 86 CRX DX, Black 87 CRX Si
I think 195 is the widest recommended on a 5.5", but I can't guarantee they won't rub.

evilGearhead

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx si
i can get them in 195/60s , which is the stock diameter, but theyre about an inch wider,

if i get the 175/50s , theyre the stock tread width, but 1.5 inch shorter sidewalls..

so which is the better benefit? inch wider, or inch and a half shorter?

My how-to's
JDM digital dash
JDM power windows

My project needs your help
Parts wanted

civtrx

• Craig M.
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic 1500-S
personally, I'd try and go 195...no rubbing should occur, and its wide enough to give you a good handling ride.
user posted image
^^^^^ R.I.P 05/16/05. . . you will be missed my Civic! ^^^^^

TAAGMANsCRXwithKYBs

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX si (Jackson), 84 CRX DX(Jake), 87 CRX Si (Jack)RIP
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I've seen 195/60/14's on a Rex with no worries, so 13's should be "like 4 little Fonzi's". cool.gif
TAAGMAN

There's only one basic difference between genius and stupidity... genius has its limits. - anonymous-

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
Hungarian-English dictionary skit - Monty Python -

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
I have run 205/60X13 for a number of years. I only get a very slight rub, on the inside.

I also run 185/60X13, for rain tires.

BTW, these are all on stock '85 Si alloys (which are 5" wide).

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

87sirex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si
Sorry to cut in on your post put reading it made me think, I run 16" by 7" wheels with 205 40's on my crx. i have no rubbing problems what so ever. Just wonderin why everyone has trouble with sixteens.

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Tough call, but I'd have to go with the 175/50-13. Less sidewall deflection, lighter, and much better gearing.

Let us know how the new Sumis (I assume the HTR200) work.
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
Is this for street? Solo? Road Race?

If it's for street, I agree with the 175-50's or 185-60's. That is more than enough tire and the change in gearing is very noticable. Your speedo will read approx 5-7mph higher than your actual speed after the swap.

BTW, a lot of my fellow racers ran 205-60's and 225-45's while I ran 185-60's, and I really didn't feel like I was giving up much in the corners. It seemed that the biggest gain for them to go with the wider tire was slightly lower tire temps and slightly better wear. My benefit was cheaper tires and much lower unsprung rotating mass.

BTW - all will fit, but the 225's might require you to move the inner lip on the front fenders.

Edited by Greg Gauper, 27 February 2004 - 08:47 AM.

2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Greg Gauper @ Feb 27 2004, 08:45 AM)
BTW, a lot of my fellow racers ran 205-60's and 225-45's while I ran 185-60's, and I really didn't feel like I was giving up much in the corners.  It seemed that the biggest gain for them to go with the wider tire was slightly lower tire temps and slightly better wear.  My benefit was cheaper tires and much lower unsprung rotating mass.

Damn, that is music to my ears.
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Ah well, I guess I won't need those 13x9's then... smile.gif I keed, I keed!
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

balladeSports

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
This might be a controversial issue but I've always heard that 185/60/13 was the ideal tire size, any larger and they take to long to heat up. Is this right?

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Depends on the tire compound.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
Back when I ran in SS and then IT I used only 205/60 x 13's. In SS on the original 5"rims, in IT on 5.5". Except for when General tire got involved back in the eighties. They gave me a set of 185/70's and said they would be faster. I tried to tell them why they wouldn't be (too tall) but they were insistent, besides they were free! I went slower at every track with them. Also I never remember having a rubbing problem until I went to the 5.5" wides and that was only in the back. Rolled the lip and it cured that.

As for the 13” over 14” tires and which is better. I ran my car with 13” against my friends from Autosport South CRX with 14” tires at Daytona. My car was consistently faster than theirs was on that weekend. I actually pushed their car from the chicane through start finish during a qualifying session. Got a furled black flag for it too! rolleyes.gif

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

tjbizzo

• pumice my corns
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si Crapmobile
If it's a street car, I wouldn't recommend the 175/50-13 because the sidewall is REALLY short, i.e. 1 good pothole = ruined tire AND rim. mad.gif They really are just rim wrappers. If it's for auto-x only, then I would say the 175/50-13 might be a good choice for the rear tires, especially since this is the only way to lower the rear in stock class, and also because the HTR200 is (in)famous for having a soft sidewall with poor steering response characteristics. Although this might be a bad thing on the front of our Hondas, it is exactly what you want to help loosen up the rear. If for auto-x only then I would recommend either 185/60-13 on 5" wheels or 205/60-13 on 6" wheels for the front. If they are going to be dual purpose street/auto-x tires then use either of those two all around or 185/60-14 also.
Posted Image