Cf Hood Update......

• You cannot reply to this topic
33 replies to this topic

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    Garage View Garage
Ok, well, I spoke with my fab guy today. He has been cuttin and hackin and weldin on that 3g civic header panel, and he is confident that he can get it to work. BUT. He is going to to need a lot more time to do it, and he is going to be unsure of the "moldability" of it.

At that point I was like, "Well, I guess we do what we have to...."

THEN, he goes, there is an alternative. How about bonding the plastic crx header panel to the metal hood? I was like, " can that be done?" He's like, "Yeah." Since we are only using the hood to make molds, it really does not matter what it looks like, as long and it is shaped properly.

The place where he is working has some crazy epoxy gun that shoots this shit out that will stick anything to anything. He says it will be strong enough to hold everything together until I can get the car to sunnystylings, and it will get done a lot faster, like, in 2 days kinda faster (as opposed to 2 more weeks). So, I decided to go this way since the replicated hoods will be a lot more faithful to the stock fitment and stuff.

Also, I asked him if he could make some sort of extender braket for the stock latch that will allow us to open it. He said, "sure."

Downsides (outweighed by the good sides, but there are downs). I have to come up with $70 more for the epoxy materials, and I can't return the header panel that got hacked up. Oh well. Budget will allow it, and it is worth it!

I will try to get some pics this weekend.

Marcus

87CRXSiR

• But It's A Dry Heat
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si
Marcus

When I pay for the hood I'll throw in a few dollars for the epoxy as well as a few pennies for the PayPal charges.

Maybe if others can afford a bit too you won't take a loss on this.
DM
PHX, AZ

jag

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX (electric)
QUOTE (87CRXSiR @ Mar 21 2003, 08:32 AM)
Marcus

When I pay for the hood I'll throw in a few dollars for the epoxy as well as a few pennies for the PayPal charges.

Maybe if others can afford a bit too you won't take a loss on this.

I would be willing to do the same... smile.gif
Funny, I used to have a hood for my CRX that was just like what you described. I used west systems epoxy to fiberglass the header panel to the hood. It never looked so great and eventually it started to crack but it would have worked fine for a mold.

-Jeremy

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
hey sounds good i just want a high quality fit

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Whatever works good, dude, I'll be happy with it. I'll definately throw in a few extra for the hood.

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Wow, you guys are great **sniff**...I am so glad I found this board.

Anyway, there are two possible scenerios for the grille situation.

A-- Carefully cut it away from your stock header panel and reattach it with the two stock allen bolts, retaining a factory grille appearance.

B-- Make the CF hood extend all the way to the bumper, leaving no gap.

B is going to look a lot cleaner, and I am not too concerned with cooling issues as there is still plenty of airflow throught the lower grille.... However, keeping the grille has aestetic advantages also. Whatever it is, we all need to agree.....post your preference.

Edited by MrDisibility, 21 March 2003 - 08:23 PM.

NJMUGENCRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
you can count me in for a few extra bucks as well.
-Roger cool.gif

jag

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX (electric)
QUOTE (MrDisibility @ Mar 21 2003, 08:21 PM)
Wow, you guys are great **sniff**...I am so glad I found this board.

Anyway, there are two possible scenerios for the grille situation.

A-- Carefully cut it away from your stock header panel and reattach it with the two stock allen bolts, retaining a factory grille appearance.

B-- Make the CF hood extend all the way to the bumper, leaving no gap.

B is going to look a lot cleaner, and I am not too concerned with cooling issues as there is still plenty of airflow throught the lower grille.... However, keeping the grille has aestetic advantages also. Whatever it is, we all need to agree.....post your preference.

I'm for extending the hood all the way to the bumper... that's my vote.

-Jeremy

87CRXSiR

• But It's A Dry Heat
  • PipPip
Option "B"
DM
PHX, AZ

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I, myself, lean toward B also...

Simple87Si

Option B sounds like a good plan
user posted image

87CRXSiR

• But It's A Dry Heat
  • PipPip
Marcus

As I already said I'm for Option B, but for those of you who are going to use the fabricated latch extension where are you you going to access it? I'd think you'd need a little gap between the hood and bumper for it.

Personally I don't care, I want the hood to go right down to the bumper. I'm going to be using turn key locking hood pins anyway.

Just something to think about.
DM
PHX, AZ

jiggerjosh

• IVIC
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 99' BMW _/_/_/ M3 Vert. & 97' BMW 325Ti M technik
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
well when you pull the realease latch that should leave enough gap to be able to stick you finger in a open all the way.
If only i knew what i was doing!!!

87CRXSiR

• But It's A Dry Heat
  • PipPip
Well that was simple, it's obvious I'm not thinking tonight. Ooops!! wink.gif
DM
PHX, AZ

xxxghostone

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
well since i use my grill area for wires for my lights i am concerned... can we compro mise and leave a gap of about 1/2 inch i think this would sill have the smooth look any way i can alway cut the bumper... so if i am holding it up i guess ill go for B