←  Off-Topic

Red Pepper Racing

»

I Bought A Zune

bobdragster's Photo bobdragster 19 Nov 2006

So I bought a Zune the other day. For those of you who don't know what it is, here:

Anyway, It's really great so far. It doesn't freeze up or scratch like the iPod does.

I would take pictures of mine, but my camera sucks, so maybe some other time.

badpenny's Photo badpenny 19 Nov 2006

Ok, so the questions I have are,
1) is it solid state? Meaning, does it take a SD card? Or some kind of memory card?
2) How much?
3) Where did you get it?

Screech's Photo Screech 19 Nov 2006

Think they use the micro drive like the ipod.

I just decided to get a new phone, Sony Ericson w810i, to replace my razor killing Nokia 6230. (I think razors = the ghey, just an over commerialized average phone) Will have the 4G memory card for the w810i later. Sony sells it with a 512M, but Cingular reduced it to 128M to cut cost.

Aaron636's Photo Aaron636 19 Nov 2006

Microsoft tries pushing that you can share songs with other Zune user(in close range), however, they dont state the person you send the song to only has 3 days or 3 plays(which ever comes first) before the Zune prompt's that person they need to buy the song.

I purchased one as well the day they came out...other than the larger screen I dont see much difference in performance than the Ipod I own as well. Longer battery life on the Zune.

Does it use proprietary software like the Ipod? Or does it play all formats? Understanding that it is Microsoft, probably not.

I wonder if it plays just WMA files, or will it play MP3's

Aaron636's Photo Aaron636 19 Nov 2006

I havent played much with it yet. Does use software like the Ipod and from what im told its very sensitive on what can be put on it. Im even told now that allof of files that can be played on Microsofts Media Player can NOT be played on the Zune. Also the software will not work on Microsofts new softeware coming out soon....I think its called Vista?

So its like Windows ME. A moneygrab, in order to boost sales and make you spend more when the newer and compatible models come out. laugh.gif

ChrisF-dude's Photo ChrisF-dude 19 Nov 2006

What kind of batteries or pack does it take? I heard IPod got some flak for bayyeries dying prematurely.

bobdragster's Photo bobdragster 19 Nov 2006

Woah woah woah. For some reason I get the idea that Aaron636 doesn't actually own a Zune, or hadn't previously read anything from Microsoft before he bought it, if he actually did. Microsoft actually nick-named the current wifi option of sharing songs "3x3", and yes, they did tell you, it says so in the manual, the advertisements and everywhere. There are rumors that soon you will be able to wirelessly sync the songs from your computer to your Zune, and a few other rumors. Microsoft has confirmed there will be other uses for the wifi in the future, though they didnt announce any specific features.

It's got a 30 GB hard drive, no expansion slots. To remove the battery you have to open up the Zune to get to it, but seeing as how it will only need replacing every 5 years or so because its rechargeable, thats not a hassle.

If Aaron636 actually owned the Zune, he would notice a LOT of differences between the Zune and the iPod.

Bigger screen
Wifi capabilities
Adjustable screen brightness
It's a little thicker than the iPod

Those are just a few of the things he would have noticed. The sound quality is about the same as the iPod, but with my extremely kickass pair of earbuds, everything sounds better. The Zune accepts a lot of media formats, though it does the same things the ipod does when it doesnt recognize a file type: it converts it to WMA(on iPod it converts it to AAC)

I know A LOT about MP3 players, so trust me when I say, the Zune is much better and "fun" to use than the iPod.

Give me a few minutes and I'll post pics.

BTW: My only complaint about the Zune so far isnt actually the Zube itself, it's the fact that the Zune Marketplace (The Zune's online catalogue of music) does not yet offer movies or TV shows. But they will soon though, so it's not a big deal.
Edited by bobdragster, 19 November 2006 - 11:24 PM.

shauno's Photo shauno 19 Nov 2006

whoa, easy tiger!

down4ce's Photo down4ce 19 Nov 2006

laugh.gif its ok he'll be 17 on the 28th, Happy B-day BTW.

Aaron636's Photo Aaron636 20 Nov 2006

QUOTE (bobdragster @ Nov 19 2006, 08:20 PM)
Woah woah woah. For some reason I get the idea that Aaron636 doesn't actually own a Zune, or hadn't previously read anything from Microsoft before he bought it, if he actually did.

If Aaron636 actually owned the Zune, he would notice a LOT of differences between the Zune and the iPod.

I will keep my comments to myself on this topic. Didnt relize it was for MP3 guru's only. My apologies.

bobdragster's Photo bobdragster 20 Nov 2006

blink.gif
wow. Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as a wild jackass banshee. I was just saying stuff that the zune does differently, and that they were so obvious that I seriously doubted that Aaron636 actually owns one.

Anyway, forget the pictures, my camera still sucks and it cant get a good picture of the screen.

bobdragster's Photo bobdragster 20 Nov 2006

LoLZ!!

I said zube... hahaha..... comic relief... eh? yeah? whatever... sorry arron.

down4ce's Photo down4ce 20 Nov 2006

Rofl my Waffle yo. I don't have an ipod or zune because I cant convince myself that the money will be well spent, I have a compact disc player in my car and in my house and lots of compact discs....... I'm old school for a teenager I only recenlty gave in and bought a cell o.O Can you elaborate for me how one of these things would benefit a person such as myself at $249.99?