Anyone Running 195/60/14?

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting a set of Bridgestone RE960AS pole positions for my 86 hatch on Del Sol 5 stars (later hope to find a set of phone dials!) but I'm not totally settled on the size. I have the option to go to 195/60 or 185/60. Anyone have experience with this? Pictures for comparison?

I'm concerned that the tire might dwarf the wheel- is it worth it to have the wider tire?
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
IMO, not worth the extra sidewall. Not because it looks large, but because of how soft I find the extra sidewall makes the wheel.

This was on my 1G MR2, but they had installed 195/60s on the back and it made the back end lean over so much more than the front it was scary, felt like you were sliding sideways on every offramp.
Granted the MR2 is a much heavier car, and it wouldn't feel the same with all 4 tires the same size, but you'll still feel the sidewall roll.

My vote is to go with 185/60s if those 2 are the only options you have.
Of course if you can find 195/50s, those would be nice smile.gif

(Edit: on the other hand, your ride would be a little softer with 195/60s)

Mark L

Toyo T1r are available in 195/55 14 and 195/45 14.

I am going to put a set on my 89 Integra.
1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

mallardtape

I have the 205/55R14 toyo proxes ra1 on the front and a 225/40R14 toyo proxes t1r on the rear. I think a 60 series tire on 14s would be a little tall. I don't like the look of my 55s compared to the 40s but they sure do ride better with the little bit extra sidewall.

This is the 205/55R14

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
thanks for the feedback guys, its helping my decision a lot. I'm pretty much settled on those two sizes as they are the two options I have for my employee discount- the toyos do look cool though!

enduser

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si 89 jdm EF9 E55 AMG
I'm running Falken Azenis RT615's in 195.60.14's and I love them. The side wall's on these are really stiff, so almost no side wall flex. They were a pita to put on. I also have some Sumitomo 185.60.14's but the 195's feel much better and a little wider. 195's also fill in the wheel wells too, some people might not like the full Angelina Jolie look tongue.gif

Project White Devil

J-MAN

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Honda CRX SI
Zak, I just mounted up my summer tires (the bridgestones 195/60/14) so tomorrow Ill go out and take some pictures of them mounted up on my team dynamics (14x7) so you can get an idea of how they look. I definitely do not think that the sidewalls are soft on the re960as and have never felt any sidewall flex even during spirited driving.
Son of E-MAN

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
I am running 195/60/14 as well. I have also never felt softness in the sidewalls with this tire during hard driving. In fact I ripped it pretty hard coming back down pilot mountain a few days ago and it felt great.

Here are a few pictures with the 185 60 14's on

Here are the 195s Bridgestone 960's

Joseph

prairiedog

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '86 CRX Si / '02 Sierra
I'm running 195/50/15s and absolutely love them.

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (prairiedog @ Mar 28 2011, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm running 195/50/15s and absolutely love them.

If I get ahold of some decent 15"s I'll be running potenza RE-11's, but these 14"s will be for daily duty.

thanks for the responses guys- I don't suppose someone could get ahold of a side by side comparo? I'd make one but my store doesn't stock these tires.

Jayscrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 Honda CRV , 08 Honda Fit Sport , 86 CRX Si
QUOTE (enduser @ Mar 27 2011, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm running Falken Azenis RT615's in 195.60.14's and I love them. The side wall's on these are really stiff, so almost no side wall flex. They were a pita to put on. I also have some Sumitomo 185.60.14's but the 195's feel much better and a little wider. 195's also fill in the wheel wells too, some people might not like the full Angelina Jolie look tongue.gif

+1. I am also running these Falken's in 195/60/14's. They are a great DOT legal autocross tire and they don't cost very much. $67 per tire at Vulcantire.com. Can't go wrong with this set up!

Jay V

GLHS988

• Spyder-Man
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1984 CRX Spyder, 1987 Shelby GLHS, 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT
QUOTE (zakats @ Mar 27 2011, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks for the feedback guys, its helping my decision a lot. I'm pretty much settled on those two sizes as they are the two options I have for my employee discount- the toyos do look cool though!

I'm on Falken Ziex 512's in 195/60/14's. Much better for filling out the wheel wells with the phone dials. The Falken's are a little smaller than my old Bridgestone Potenza 195/60's though.
A WarrenTee is better than a guarantee. This WarrenTee is for life.

"I never thought about dying. The day you were born, it was already written down the day you're gonna check out. Now, I'm not gonna throw myself under a truck, but I'm not gonna worry about when I die. I'm ready to move on when that day comes." - Carroll Shelby (January 11, 1923 - May 10, 2012)

http://karakullake.b...eet-photos.html

J-MAN

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Honda CRX SI
Sorry I didn't post pics as planned, digital camera is broken but I was able to find one from sarge's meet that may give you an idea of the sidewall height. Keep in mind my car is not very low at all and that the tires are mounted on 7 inch wide wheels so the sidewall might be slightly less beefy than a 5.5 or 6 inch wheel.

Son of E-MAN

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Thanks for the picture Johnathan, I'm still weighing the pros and cons. I'll likely keep these tires on OE wheels (del sol wheels for now, phone dials later if possible) and will do 99% daily duty. I believe that I've determined that the exta .2" sidewall is negligible but the question of (since these will be daily duty) whether it is worthwhile to go for the extra width for dry traction and less fuel economy (however minor) and or go for stock width in the name of wet traction and slightly? more fuel economy. I suppose performance and traction will win out over economy since I'd rather be safe than cheap- I'm now leaning towards finding info on wet traction in wider tires, I'll report what I find.

Also to add, I'm slightly tempted to go with a set of LLR Bridgestone Ecopia EP100's since they're even cheaper and accessible. tongue.gif

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
I averaged 38 miles to gallon with my 185s and I average 38 miles to the gallon with my 195's. These tires do give me to the best traction I have ever had with this car. Even better than the Eagle F1's. Pretty unbelievable actually. My we traction with these tires is better than dry traction with most others.

Go 195 and rip that thing.

Joseph