Help Our "24 Hours Of Lemons" Team!

• You cannot reply to this topic
27 replies to this topic

Alkusoittow

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si, 05 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT
Howdy, I represent my team "Pigs Might Fly." We've driving in 2 "24 Hours of LeMons" races (the December 2010 Buttonwillow race, and last weekend's Denver race). Our car is an 86 CRX Si and we desperately need your help!

After 2 races, we've decided that our most desperate needs are improved brakes and improved handling. I've read a LOT from the FAQ's but I still have a couple questions and wanted to see if anyone had any altogether helpful hints for racing this vehicle.

- I know that the 88-91 CRX rotors and calipers bolt right up, but are they any larger?

- What year Integra rotors and calipers are direct bolt-ons?

- Are there any strut tower bars I can buy, or do I have to make my own?

- Are there any aftermarket header options?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

our car:

Edited by Alkusoittow, 11 July 2011 - 03:03 PM.

Born to XLR8
www.stein-photo.com

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
88-91 dx/si front brakes are larger and bolt right up.

For handling on the cheap I'd get some teg rear springs and cut them to the desired ride height; the increased stiffness will help the car rotate. Also weld up your rear internal sway bar.

Summit sells the Hedman/Chikara headers for our cars.

Heeltoe Automotive sells strut bars.
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

mallardtape

im so jealous! ive been wanting to run the 24hr lemons for a long time! just havent been able to find the team or car or time or money tongue.gif

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
if its a lemons racer you should be making your own strut tower bar anyway. arent you on a budget? slap some steel on there and weld it....
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

Alkusoittow

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thank you all for the info!

24 Hours of LeMons is great. I've never done any other kind of official racing, so this is just awesome for me and my teammates. We're a weird bunch... it's me, my dad, his friend, my best friend from childhood, and a female friend from High School whom I've driven long, fast, spirited drives with for a long time. (at one point in our lives, she had a BMW M3 convertible and I had an Audi TT roadster. We tended to get into some trouble...) Anyway, I'd highly recommend the series to anyone who loves driving, and doesn't take everything too seriously. The people are great, funny, fun to be around, etc. These weekends have been some of the most memorable of my life.

This last race we placed somewhere around 5th in class, but we were really just thrilled that we were able to finish the race. Last year the clutch died halfway through the 2nd day and we didn't cross the finish... this year, however, was epic. (finishing in a Lemons race qualifies as epic, I believe)

Anyway, NEXT year (December's Fort Worth race 2012) we plan to dominate. The CRX has an awesome light-weight advantage and we fully intend to exploit it, plus the engine feels 100% stable.

Regarding budgets, yes there is a $500 limit on the car and any performance mods. All safety-related items are not included in that price (roll-cage, brakes, rotors, fire extinguisher, seat, harness, etc)

Next question: what size wheels/tires does everyone recommend for racing? We have to use street-legal tires (no slicks), but everything DOT approved is permissible. Anyway, I'm not sure if 17" would be too big for wheels since we need some good sidewall meat, but I wanted to see what others recommended here.

Thanks again!
Born to XLR8
www.stein-photo.com

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
13" wheels/tires are the racer's choice for these cars.

Chassis rigidity is an issue with these cars. Your safety cage should be designed to maximize rigidity. Everything in the cars suspension in front of the firewall needs the most bracing.

Understeer is designed into these cars, the largest rear sway bar you can install is a great addition.1 degree or so of negative front camber is good also. Slot the mounting holes for the front struts to dial in meg camber.

The 1986-1989 Integra front brakes will bolt right up and fit under 13" wheels.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Like Scott mentioned, 13s are probably the best with a 205/60-13 or 215/50-13s if they still make either of those. I would also look at some old bmw 14 inch bottle caps or Miata wheels with 205/55-14s...

Good point about the front camber... I forgot that...

I made my own camber plates... dirt cheap, have lasted years and still going...

Be sure to make the hole for the strut, just a bit slotted so the strut can pivot a bit, maybe a 12x14 crosscar slot. And of course you can give up a bit of camber to get some caster by changing where the strut hole is.

http://www.redpepper...lbun58/albun40/

http://www.redpepper...70/aah.gif.html

http://www.redpepper...70/aag.gif.html

Posted Image

Alkusoittow

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Awesome smile.gif I'm going to share this all with the team and we'll get started on what needs to be done.

Any recommendations for which rear sway bar to buy? We need to do it on the cheap, so anything I can pull from the junkyard is best.

What about for brakes? Should I look at drilled/slotted discs that would otherwise fit on the Integra? I can always buy and rebuild calipers from a junkyard car, but the rotors I want new.

The pics you shared for the struts are awesome. Thanks for sharing those!!
Born to XLR8
www.stein-photo.com

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
check out this for a rear swaybar:
http://www.redpepper...l=rear sway bar

Alkusoittow

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
It's amazing that a minivan sway bar will fit! But hey I'll take it. There should be plenty of junkyards around the Fort Worth area (where I live) so finding one shouldn't be a problem...
Born to XLR8
www.stein-photo.com

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
That sway bar is awesome!

I'd go with 88-91 CRX dx/Si brakes. Cailper piston is the same size as the 1g, so there are NO prop valve issues, plus the pad selection is much better. I'd go with solid rotors.

Posted Image

Alkusoittow

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
wait... why would there be prop valve issues if the piston is the same size?

As far as rotors go, I think they're the exact same size between the CRX and the integra. You don't think drilled/slotted is a good idea for track racing?

Also, with the recommended wheel/tire size, was that for drag racing or track racing? We're track racing... just wanted to see if there was any recommendation between those
Born to XLR8
www.stein-photo.com

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Anything has larger rotors than the stock CRX. Buy quality brake pads (this excludes anything offered by your local parts store), I highly recommend anything from Porterfield.

You only need to change the prop valve if you add rear disk brakes.

Finding quality DOT rubber in 13 can be a challenge. But it is worth the effort for the weight savings and gearing advantage. If you must go larger, 14 is ok.

Powerslot makes a good slotted rotors. Avoid cheap cross drilled rotors, they crack.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
cooling ducts for the brakes can also help you out for cheap!

Alkusoittow

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (CRXfanatic @ Jul 12 2011, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like Scott mentioned, 13s are probably the best with a 205/60-13 or 215/50-13s if they still make either of those. I would also look at some old bmw 14 inch bottle caps or Miata wheels with 205/55-14s...

Is it possible to find these in street legal form? I can't use anything that's not legal on the roads
Born to XLR8
www.stein-photo.com