An End To The Fun.... For Me.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

AudioCra-Z

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 07 Honda Fit
Ok, I am probably throw my CRX in the classifieds here soon, but was wondering what it would be worth. From the sounds of things, I may just part out the car, which would net me more.

Right now in my life, I don't have time for a project car anymore. And I cannot afford to not have reliable transportation. The same bearing I replaced in the drivers front is out AGAIN! Right now, all the car is worth is the motor swap, hence why I am probably going to just part it out. Around here, it is next to impossible to find anybody with an interest in our precious time pieces.

There are two main factors for me getting rid of the CRX:

1) My wife and I are planning on trying to have a kid next year. We finally finally have reached a point where we want kid(s). Having a newborn, and having a "religously falling apart" project car just isn't financially viable for us.

2) My job requires me to be to work on time. (What job isn't) With the above, making sure I get to and from work is even more important now. Plus, my job is 45+min away (22 miles each way).

I love the CRX, but I need to grow up. Maybe in the future I will get me another project car, but for now, I need reliable transporation.

Anybody want to give me a ballpark asking price:

15" Si Wheels
Raxles Axles
Integra front spindles and brakes
B16A1 JDM VTEC with JDM OBD0 VTEC ECU (ECU was a hard find) (Oil changed religiously few weeks ago)
JDM 5 speed manual cable tranny
4 month old front brake job.
Recent front seats
2 month old JDM spec headers
2.5" cat + exhaust. 2 mufflers installed, one large Magnaflow exahst.
Carbon Fibre 1 piece hood
Rear 450 coil overs (drag ready)
00 Si B&M Short Shifter. (Shifter converted during swap)
HASport B series swap mounts
5 month old distributor (Yes, I bought a brand new one)
Fronts with 2 year old Tokiko Blues (rears are shitty Monroes)
Tires are about 5 months old, with NO TRACK TIME. (Just been driving to and from work)

The ugly shit:
Drivers side window is broke, needs new internal parts.
Missing one window crank handle
Drivers side front wheel bearing is completly gone (again)
Passengers side is showing wear, will need to be changed.
All of the rear interior is ouside of vehicle (I have them in the garage, but may be damaged)
Carpet is pracically gone (but I have another light grey carpet that was never installed)

All I can think of right now. I can't take any pictures, left my car at my buddies.
Above all else, my WIFE I f33r the most!
Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF;

user posted image
RIP 86 CRX DX B16A

warder

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Honda Civic SI 1986
Man I would really like to buy your car, but Ive got plans to buy a 86 SI hatchy. Plus all Ive got is about $600 that Im going to spend twards the SI. Im sure you would want a bit more than that for the car. Good luck finding a new owner for it. Hope you find a new owner rather than part it out. sad.gif

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
i see no reason why your car couldnt be 100% reliable. if you are having that much problems with the wheel bearing then there's 2 possible problems and solutions, #1 either they are being installed incorrectly or #2 you have a serious problem with the hub/spindle. if it's the hub/spindle then just replace the whole setup, they are cheap.

anyway, im not sure what the car or parts are worth to you but it would take at LEAST $4,000 for me to get rid of my B series crx. even then, i dont know that i would sell or not. keep one thing in mind when selling, you arent selling a 87 crx, your selling an ALL MOTOR mid 13 second or faster 4 cylindar honda.... you dont come across those every day.

good luck either way.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
seeing what is done to it against what is bad i would say you could get probbly 1-2k for it

the bearings are going to make it hard to sell though i tihnk

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (3gencivic @ Jul 30 2006, 08:11 PM)
seeing what is done to  it against what is bad  i would say you could get probbly 1-2k for it

the bearings are going to make it hard to sell though i tihnk

if someone only offers him 1-2 grand i hope to hell that he punches them in the fucking mouth. only needs a wheel bearing and a drivers side window.....
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

warder

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
HAHAHA crxls I love your sig just had to say that. If I had about 2-4k more than I do Id jump on it, but I dont have that much in my car budget yet.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
Am interested in the wire harness and mounts.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

AudioCra-Z

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Paint, hasn't been waxed in almost a year. I am pretty sure I can get a shine back out of it. As for the body, the front fenders are cracked (as they are original). There are some dings in the body, and it looks like the previous owner was in some kind of accident, and they did a chepo bondo job. Nothing major, just a dent behind the passengers door.

Motor purrs like a dream. We went throug allot of motors before we took this one. Look for one with no shit in the intake, and cleanest on the exhaust. Plus, this one had the best compression out of them all.

The tach stopped working, just think it gave up the ghost, or something incompatable with the VTEC ecu.

Few things I forgot:

Iceman 90 Teg CAI
86 DX (no added Si Weight)
86 Si Wire loom modified for the VTEC motor.

Like I said before, I have all of the interior pieces, I just don't have them in the car. They are in the garage. I also have one extra passenger stock seat, some misc cluster parts (just not a tach) A whole extra cluster surrounding dash part (sorry, can't remember what it is called, what the AC controls mount to). A spare center upper dash bin. A spare set of rear tail lights. And other misc stuff that is in the garage that I can't remember.

As for price, I don't know. I have a lot involved in this car, but I never put a price down, because I wasn't sure how much I could get. I know the vast majority of what I have into it is gone, but that is just the nature of the racing beast.

Please, people, posative comments.

Edited by AudioCra-Z, 30 July 2006 - 09:32 PM.

user posted image
RIP 86 CRX DX B16A

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
I'd say your best bet to get a relyable daily driver with minimal investment is to get new hubs/spindles for BOTH the fronts, fix your tach (or get an aftermarket) and reinstall all the intirrior stuff you have in your garage.

If however you do deside to sell, your won't get much for it whole. Your best bet is to part it out, but I hope you have a place to store it and don't need the money right away. Partouts take a good while to complete, and then you have to despose of the leftovers

warder

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
$600? Just kidding, unless... I really wish I had more so I could buy it instead of the hatch. sad.gif Id hate to see it get parted out.

Edited by warder, 30 July 2006 - 11:41 PM.

AudioCra-Z

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Deep down, I don't want to get rid of the car. But, I am getting a good offer on a 06' Civic LX. Will be a drastic change to get used to "power" anything. As for parting it out, wouldn't take very long to move the stuff on Ebay, just figured I would give RPR first dibs.

As for the rotors, I just got them. We honestly think is is just some shitty bearings. What I would prefer to do is just replace both bearings, pads, and have the front end re-aligned. Also, the front end is on extended studs as well, with some tack welds to make sure they dont' move.

user posted image
RIP 86 CRX DX B16A

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
2500ish, get it sold quick.
3900~range if you got some time to advertise a while.
Graigslist, auto trader, and high volume traffic locations are your best friends. advertise to make everything look as legit and prof done as possible, no one trusts modded cars unless there is a very good reason to, give em a reason!
get it running right and nice as for a kid to buy as a DD(needs interior)
btw you could put your non tach cluster in and get a nice ~3-4" tach and call it stock! go with the excuse that stock tach's are inaccurate anyway
thats all just what I'd do BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!
-zak
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Computer

• Brian spilner racing team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX DX, 03 MT IS300
    Garage View Garage
part it out, that would be the best way to go. You can, more than likely, sell the axles and wiring harness pretty easily on here.

Nobodys going to pay 3-4k for a non mint 1st gen CRX. Even with a B series swap.

86 crx

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Computer @ Jul 31 2006, 07:19 PM)
part it out, that would be the best way to go. You can, more than likely, sell the axles and wiring harness pretty easily on here.
Nobodys going to pay 3-4k for a non mint 1st gen CRX. Even with a B series swap.

They do in brymans neck of the woods. (i think) unsure.gif
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

bryman10

• Sterno
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2006 Acura TSX 6MT, 2012 Honda Civic LX sedan (wifey's); 1996 Toyota Celica GT convertible (for sale)
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (3gencivic @ Jul 31 2006, 02:17 AM)
my price for the 1-2k is resonable have you forgotten about the ultracrx and what is happening threre. he wonts top doller for all that is on the car but yet its not 100% working and NOONE wonts to pay it.
same thing you have no interior panels installed, carpet is a mess, window issues, missing interior parts. and he also didnt say milage on the b16 or rust or paintjob eather.

its like my race car i have built i have abut 6-7k in it will i get it if i sell hell no i will be lucky to get 1500 for it.

First off, damnit bro...learn to spell. It is painful to try to read your posts. laugh.gif wink.gif

Well, it's all in the eye of the beholder I guess. Apparantly, crx's aren't worth much where you live in Canada regardless of rare parts, performance options, or rust-free bodies. Sorry to hear that. In other parts of the world, they are worth that and much more.
I've said this A MILLION TIMES, but I'll say it yet again....it's all about market value. I can't speak for other parts of the country/world, but in my little neck of the woods in NC:
1) CRX's are ALWAYS in-demand cars;
2) rust-free, cleanly modified, mega-performance, rare versions even more so.
Now...
In regards to my car:
First off.....my car is "100% working"..it runs awesome, just has a few MINOR glitches. This speaks nothing to the way the car runs/drives.
Secondly, yes I have $27K+ into the car (with the receipts to prove it) and the general rule of thumb for ANY commonly modified car (not counting things like Lingenfelter corvettes, Brabus Mercedes, or Ruf Porsches, etc) is 1/3 to 1/2 of total investment. Having said that, yes, my car has a few MINOR issues that I'm sure wouldn't be that big of a deal for those w/ more time and/or more skills than myself to fix. I'm not talking about cracked engine blocks, knocking motor, bent frames, etc....just minor things.
With that said, I would be willing to take a *little* less for the car because of that. If the car was absolutely perfect, I wouldn't take a PENNY less than $10K...period.
The other thing to keep in mind is this....how many 1G crx's out there are like mine?
NONE.
Having said that, yes, there are some very sweet 1G crx's out there (Mr. D's, r4adkshn, WilQ's, Retrocrx to name a few), and all are beautiful and unique cars in their own way.
With all due respect to the aformentioned "sweet 1G crx owner's club" members, I don't think any of those cars has ALL the goodies mine has (nor are their owners as...stupid...er..."compulsive" as me to spend that much on theirs...lol).

Yes, I could probably make as much or more on my car if I parted it out.
FORGET it, as that won't happen.
I'd hate to see the enormous amount of work, blood, sweat, tears, curse-words, $$$$, that went into this car be reduced to simple parts.
Even in it's current state, there's no reason why ULT1GCRX shouldn't fetch at least $7,000-$8,000.
Yes, it will take *just* the right buyer to step up and pay that for a 21 year old, "old school/old tech" car.....but I believe he/she is out there.

Magoon's car isn't quite as unique as mine, but it's a damn nice ride w/ LOTS of goodies/expensive parts.
I about shat myself when I saw his $3K price....knowing it's worth much more.

I STILL truly believe that the primary reason why most folks here aren't paying upwards of $3K+ for NICE 1G crx's is:

1) no $$$$;
2) wife or g/f won't let them

Now, in the case of your car....
1) You have a RACE car, which takes a special buyer (as he/she KNOWS it was built to be abused);
2) You have $6K-$7K invested (a FAR cry from $27K my friend). Who knows, you might find a buyer for it out there somewhere.

QUOTE (badpenny @ Aug 1 2006, 12:54 AM)
They do in brymans neck of the woods. (i think) unsure.gif

biggrin.gif

bryman
Who the hell is this Zed C. person????
my ebay ID: sterno10

"Please", "I appreciate it", "thank you very much", "I'm sorry"= common courtesy....what a great concept (ESPECIALLY for business)!!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Wagonvan clan member