Pics Of My Car....

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

VTEC

• Hondas Is There Anything They Cant Do??
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '87 EB Civic
    Garage View Garage
Here are a couple of pics of my Civic. The old engine let go the other week and now looking at putting in a JDM D15B SOHC VTEC engine into it. In the package I'm looking at getting I will be getting everyting like ECU and loom. What needs to be done to fit the engine into my car? please list everything that needs to be changed. smile.gif

Here are the pics:

JDN14

I wish i could find a rust free car......Welcome, havent heard that swap before but im sure someone on here can give you advice.
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.

nivek2002

Welcome, awesome car! I LOVE THOSE HEADLIGHTS! biggrin.gif

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
Are you sure that swap will work? Unless it is a "mini me" I dont think SOHC Vtec will fit in our cars without extensive modifications. Here is a link for you to check out.

http://www.sportcomp.../swapguide1.pdf
SportInjectedClub

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
A mini-me wouldn't work any easier. The ONLY engines that bolt in without major work are the 84-87 Civic/CRX and 86-89 Integra. Anything else is going to be custom mounts, axles, wiring, etc. Not that it can't be done, but I don't know of anyone who has done a D15B, so it's not like there is a swap guide to read or anything.

Good luck though!
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

I are Corey

• ...how dare you
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Civic Si Hatchback
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
yup rpr is right. if you want simpler swap with less work and money, any D series engine will fit right in with no probs

<span style='color:red'>SportInjectedClub</span>

VTEC

• PipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (I are Corey @ Mar 10 2004, 01:34 PM)
yup rpr is right. if you want simpler swap with less work and money, any D series engine will fit right in with no probs

I am fairly sure that a D15B engine is a D-series engine huh.gif
so if any D-series engine fits this engine will fit then?? unsure.gif

Vandemar

• moved on to bigger engines
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '17 Chev SS (Commodore)
QUOTE (I are Corey @ Mar 9 2004, 08:34 PM)

Umm...you're disagreeing with what he said there blink.gif. Most D-series engines WON'T bolt in with no problems, due to changes with mount locations/types and the funky vacuum advance system in 84-7 cars.

Synergy

• PipPip
    • Drives: ZC hatch
Stick to a 86/9 Teg motor, a Zc Browntop if you can find one, or import some mounts and do B16/B18 conversion. You'll get no where fast pursuing the D15B in your model.

Great looking hatch BTW!

Edited by Synergy, 10 March 2004 - 02:27 AM.

user posted image

VTEC

• PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Its jusk I can get my hands on a D15B at a good price biggrin.gif plus its VTEC tongue.gif
and if a D16 does fit why would a D15 not fit?? unsure.gif

VTEC

• PipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Synergy @ Mar 10 2004, 05:20 PM)
Great looking hatch BTW!

Thanks biggrin.gif

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (VTEC @ Mar 10 2004, 06:05 AM)
and if a D16 does fit why would a D15 not fit??  unsure.gif

He is refering to a D16A1, which is the equivelant to the JDM ZC engine. Im sure you had CRX's and Hatchbacks that came stock with that engine down there. The 86-89 D16's were DOHC NON Vtec, pushing about 118 HP (USDM) or 130 HP (JDM). The late model D series engines (with Vtec) will NOT swap directly in.

EDIT: Also dont get confused with the SOHC Vtec (D16Y8 or D16Z6) They will not fit either.

Hope that cleared up things a bit for you.

Edited by eastsiderider, 10 March 2004 - 09:40 AM.

SportInjectedClub

Synergy

• PipPip
    • Drives: ZC hatch
QUOTE (VTEC @ Mar 10 2004, 09:35 PM)
Its jusk I can get my hands on a D15B at a good price  biggrin.gif  plus its VTEC  tongue.gif
and if a D16 does fit why would a D15 not fit??  unsure.gif

A D16 will practically bolt straight in with some integra mounts. Unless you have someone that can fabricate engine mounts, the D15 would be a hard swap & expensive swap. A cheap D15 that doesn't fit isn't cheap in the long run.

The reason why no-one has attempted it in a 3rd gen is because it's not practical, and the guys on this board don't miss much in the way of opportunities.
If you're determined to go VTEC, go for the B16 option. (you'll still need mounts, but at least there are companies producing them to fit that motor and your car)
user posted image

I are Corey

• ...how dare you
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Civic Si Hatchback
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Vandemar @ Mar 10 2004, 01:15 AM)
QUOTE (I are Corey @ Mar 9 2004, 08:34 PM)

Umm...you're disagreeing with what he said there blink.gif. Most D-series engines WON'T bolt in with no problems, due to changes with mount locations/types and the funky vacuum advance system in 84-7 cars.

dude 84-87 Civic/CRX and 86-89 Integra ARE D SERIES ENGINES. and go right in with no prob. i was agreeing. nothing about it i was disagreeing with.

<span style='color:red'>SportInjectedClub</span>

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Um, yeah, what they said. The REASON they won't fit easily is because the drivers side front and tranny mounts are very different on the D15B/Z6/Y8/A6/etc as compared to the D16A1/ZC/stock Civic engine. Not to say it's impossible, but not a direct bolt in, and no-one makes a kit for it. Yet. <cue evil laughter>
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"