Cali Street Legal B17a Rex

• You cannot reply to this topic
29 replies to this topic

wannab16a

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85crxsi
cool engine swap street legal in cali ohmy.gif naww!!!! yes, i am about to buy a totaled 92 gsr. all usdm and all smog legal. i'm gonna take it to a shop in visalia called raver motorsports (insanely cool people btw) and they promised to take it to the ref 50 times if thats what it takes to get my BAR certification.
My reason for this post is that i am looking for a little feed back. so far it all seems like a good deal, but i figured i would search for this communities approval as this is the most honest forum that i have ever seen. Does 1800 seem like a good deal for a totaled gsr? (i think it is since i have seen just the swap go for more...) has anyone put the b17a in a first gen, and if so , what should i watch out for? if i already have mounts, shift linkage, axles, hf guages, and rear engine mounting braket, is there anything else that i will need that wont come with the car???? will i be able to pull this off without changing my front torsion bars. all i have up front is illuminas. (which will most likely need to be set a bit harder after the swap!!!!)
if there's anything i haven't covered here i am open to suggestion and eagerly awaiting a response...... LEMME KNOW! thanks all

Edited by wannab16a, 28 January 2004 - 12:54 PM.

B17CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 08 Tundra CrewMax, 04 IS300, 87 CRX Si E prepared
B17 is identical to a b16 (rods, crank, and pistons only thing different) so just follow the procedures for swapping in a b16 and you will be fine, however if you plan on using the B17 distributor you will need to swap over the entire engine harness cuz its obd1. Not bad if you have the whole gsr to play with. 1800 for the whole car is ok so long as its fairly low mile. hth
-Joel
Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

wannab16a

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
yup, 90,000 miles. and the shop is telling me that its going to have to be an "obd collage" between 1 and 2.... I didn''t get my head under the car when i looked at it, does the 92 teg b17a come w/ cable tranny?

B17CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (wannab16a @ Jan 28 2004, 06:41 PM)
yup, 90,000 miles. and the shop is telling me that its going to have to be an "obd collage" between 1 and 2.... I didn''t get my head under the car when i looked at it, does the 92 teg b17a come w/ cable tranny?

its a cable tranny, and you don't want ANYTHING obdII on there. the 92 gsr is obdI and your car is obd0, why overcomplicate the issue with obdII? Bad idea and definetly unnecessary. Tell the shop to just swap over the gsr harness, ecu and all.
hth

-Joel

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Maybe I am wrong ( I know, that is hard to believe wink.gif ) but doesn't the B17 have a taller block then the B16? If it is, there could be issues with closing the hood (bonnet).

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

DarkHand

QUOTE (B17CRX @ Jan 28 2004, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (wannab16a @ Jan 28 2004, 06:41 PM)

its a cable tranny, and you don't want ANYTHING obdII on there. the 92 gsr is obdI and your car is obd0, why overcomplicate the issue with obdII? Bad idea and definetly unnecessary. Tell the shop to just swap over the gsr harness, ecu and all.
hth

-Joel

I dont live in CA, but my guess is the OBDII stuff is to make the refs happy?
DarkHand

B17CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Jan 28 2004, 06:50 PM)
Maybe I am wrong ( I know, that is hard to believe wink.gif ) but doesn't the B17 have a taller block then the B16? If it is, there could be issues with closing the hood (bonnet).

Scott

b17 is identical to the b16, in fact its the same block casting. The b17 has a different crankshaft, rods and crappy low compression pistons. Other than that its identical. If you have the money get some p30 (2nd gen b16) pistons and put them in your b17, with the different stroke and rod ratio in the b17 you get a 10.8:1 compression ratio with the p30s. Mill the head a tad and you are at 11:1, as far as I would go on 92 octane street fuel. hth

-Joel

wannab16a

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
yes sir, the obd 2 stuff is indeed to make the refs happy. however, before i had chosen this particular ride, the shop owner had thrown out that he had a b17 block and b16a2 head. that is when he mentioned obd 2 mixed w/ obd1... but since the 92 is all obd 1 i could probably skate past the refs with a direct harness swap. NE thoughts or suggestions regarding front suspension? necessary or no? .... dunno if i wanna rip apart the internals..... this car is my daily driver........ plus my homeowners association is gay to say the least. if i tried to change my pistons it would probably take me a minimum of three days which would add up to about 500 us dollars in fines.

B17CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (wannab16a @ Jan 28 2004, 07:10 PM)
NE thoughts or suggestions regarding front suspension? necessary or no?

Well with the b17 in your crx you will be smogged as a 92 gsr, so the obdI will be fine, just make sure you have a good cat on it.

With the extra weight you will want to upgrade your torsion bars. opm is a good place to look.

hth

-Joel

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
I would agree with the above, you are definitely going to want to upgrade the bars from stock and www.opmautosports.com is a very good site to get them from.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

wannab16a

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
right on. thanks for the feedback guys. RPR, you're a genious, this site has saved me so much money, its scary. My wallet will be just about tapped out after this swap, do you think the car will be drivable for a short period on the stock bars?

nivek2002

I would GUESS it will be drivable but you have little to no front shock travel - and it will be abusive on the the t bars and struts - sounds like a cool swap- good luck

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
don't mis with obd2.... u can't pass with a b16a2 head with a b17 block. It won't pass in CA. They will probably check with both. Unless i mis read the post.

wannab16a

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
NAW, ITS COOL, ILL PROBABLY JUST BUY THE WHOLE GSR AND DO A "DIRECT"(if you can call any first gen swap direct) SWAP.... i wish i lived in ANY OTHER friggin state but california........... then i could buy a jdm swap for a fraction of the cost that i am gunna pay.......... WHO NEEDS BREATHABLE AIR ANYWAY? THE MORE SMOG THE BETTER!!!!! cool.gif

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
If your gonna do it you'd best leave ALL stuff stock when you 1st get it done, stock GSR intake tubing AND air box, stock header connected to your STOCK exhaust.

As long as the motor is healthy then it should pass the sniffer if your doing everything needed to be legal.

Its a intresting motor ot have a 1g, I wish i could have found one around my area, but there all LS's so I settled for a GS with leather...

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~