What Kind Of Crx Do I Have?

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

t25_civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Turbocharged 1997 Civic CX HB, and currently rebuilding an '85 crx
After reading in the tutorials, I decided that I wanted to check what crx I had. Well according to the tutorials the 8th digit in the vin number shows what model it is. Unfortunetly, the tutorial only says what model for 1, 2, and 4. My 8th digit is a 3.

So my question to you is, what 1g crx has a 3 as the 8th digit in the vin? anyone know?

nick

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
IIRC the 8th digit is the motor code...

Here are some tips on trim level differences:

Fuel injected models are the Si.
The Si also has a one color scheme from 86-87, as well as the factory power sunroof.

The 85 Si has a rubber rear wing, but a 2-tone paint scheme. It also has the fuel injected motor.

If it is carbed it is either the DX or the HF.

The only difference I think visually lies in the motor, where the HF has about 8 million vacuum hoses. It also has very tall gearing, and should have an 'HF' badge.

Does that help?

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

t25_civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Unfortunetly, the sunroof was cut out when I got the car, so that doesn't help, and it was primered when I bought it so I don't know the original paint scheme.

The car also had no rear wing when I bought it. It was removed. Along with all the badges.

The car is fuel injected so I don't know if that makes a difference and its a 1985.

Nick

Tomoyo

85 fuel injected makes it the sought after '85 Si. The fastest stock CRX ever imported into the US.

If it's an 85, and it's fuel injected, it's an Si.
user posted image

t25_civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
It most definetly is fuel injected although I'm not to sure on the year. I'm about 75% sure on the year. I know it is a 1g though. Will it still be an Si if its a different year?

Nick

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yep, Like I said before, if its fuel injected its an Si.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

Tomoyo

^^ It's all about prcess of elimination.

What kind of head lights does it have? Are the lights flush with the front of the car? Or are they recessed? If they're recessed, then it's either an 84 or an 85 by default. In these two years, the CRX was made with recessed headlights. Your car being fuel injected rules out it being an 84, as there was no fuel injected model in 84. If it's fuel injected, and has recessed lights, then it's an 85.

If it's got flush headlights, then it's either an 86 or an 87. Does it have a 3rd brake light in the hatch window? That could be another sign of it being an 86/87 model. The 86/87 Sis are definately the more popular of the 1g Sis..because they're the most abundant.

I'm not quite sure how to narrow it down farther if it's an 86/87, as I'm not quite sure what changes were made between these model-years. Maybe Mark (Rampage) can tell you. biggrin.gif But I know if it's got recessed lights and it's fuel injected, it's an 85 Si.
user posted image

t25_civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
It definetly has recessed headlights. I was reading the tutorial on how to switch to non-recessed lights at the same time as the vin number tutorial.

So seeing as how it has recessed lights and is fuel injected, then it proves its an 85 Si, correct?

Thanks,
Nick

Edited by t25_civic, 20 April 2004 - 01:01 AM.

Tomoyo

Yes. biggrin.gif You lucky ^$*($^* you. happy.gif Was it you that had the mugen kit, too? Don't change those headlights. They're distinctive, and they're ONLY on 2 model-year CRXs, out of 3 generations. Recessed headlights = original of the original. I would NEVER change my headlights..

UNLESS, I got a set of those JDM 84/85 pop-up lights I'm still trying to find. ^^
user posted image

t25_civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Yup, I'm the guy with the mugen body kit also. I keep learning new stuff about this buy everyday lol.

Nick

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
another way im not sure if its the same for the rex is look on frame where the door lacth is on the drive side it should have the decal from the factory stating what it is and whight and all the other stuff.

t25_civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I checked that originally thinking it would say something, but it had been primered over lol

Nick

Tomoyo

biggrin.gif Good luck on the rebuild! It looks like you've got your work cut out for you. ^^ Litterally, looking at the roof! Lol..Hey..you know what would look cool? A glasstop from a 2g SiR on the 1g's roof..That'd look really cool.
user posted image

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
IMO CRX's look better with recessed lights, its just more agressive.

On the other hand, flush headlights (especially EDM) look better than recessed on a civic....

And if its an 85, but the mugen kit on and leave it, keep it like that, its rare and worth lots to people like us, and hopefully you too!

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

t25_civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Yeah its worth alot to me. I've wanted a crx for EVER. and the first one I buy is surprising me this much! Yeah the car is going to be alot of work, but it'll be worth it in the long run.

Nick