Should I Keep The Car?

• You cannot reply to this topic
37 replies to this topic

balladeSports

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
Hi Guys
Alright I need some advice. As some of you know i drive a Black 1985 CRX si and it's my deam car. However I'm at a cross roads. I need a winter car.
#1 should I buy a 88-91 CRX and use it as my daily driver?/winter car
#2 should I drive my 1985 CRX si through the winter and take the $4000 I have saved and by another Black 1985 CRX Si. Rust Free from the states
Problem is my car is great however it's not "super mint". it's starting to rust, not much but some. I have alot of performance parts in the car however these could be put in the new car. Big qestion is should I just use it as a daily driver or find a rust Free southern U.S. one. the car could eaily be brought back but in my mind I'll always want a rust free one that has never seen salt.
Other problem is finding a rust free super mint CRX most are rust free but in ruff shape. Making holding onto what i have so much more important.
I'm also in no rush, as long as a have a idea I can wait years to get my perfect CRX.
P.S. the reason for a 88-91 CRX as a winter car is because I wouldn't care it is rusted apart. Just a little help in the right direction would be nice. Thanks
Pix of my car
http://members19.clu...wner-6c3a.phtml

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I'd get a beater and save the 85, but that's just me.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I can tell you right now, nothing would be sweeter than a southern CRX in mint shape.

The only thing you need to worry about is getting over the "my baby" aspect of your current rex to get another.

My solution: get both! That way you have a mint Rex street car, and your rusted rex can get some overhaul work done, and go towards racing (if you are into that sort of thing)

Also, if you are going to the states, I would pick up an 86 or 87, both because it is newer and boasts more features/revisions.

My $0.02
Mark

PS. This is what I have chosen to do, except with a 3G hatchie instead!

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

CRXdan

OK first offf, dont get a 88-91 crx. I thought about this and simply realized the 1g is cooler, can go faster for less, and no one rices out a 1g. 2nd get the other crx thats my $.02
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (CRXdan @ Oct 15 2003, 08:55 PM)
I thought about this and simply realized the 1g is cooler, can go faster for less, and no one rices out a 1g.

AMEN!

Edited by Rampage, 15 October 2003 - 10:58 PM.

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

ImprtRcr02

• You Dare Mess With A Saiyajin??
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 04' Srt-4, working on the crx beast
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Second that sleep.gif

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (CRXdan @ Oct 15 2003, 10:55 PM)
OK first offf, dont get a 88-91 crx. I thought about this and simply realized the 1g is cooler, can go faster for less, and no one rices out a 1g. 2nd get the other  crx thats my $.02

err, umm....

I hate to do this to good people, but WRONG!!!!!

ImprtRcr02

• You Dare Mess With A Saiyajin??
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 04' Srt-4, working on the crx beast
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
That thing is hideous.... blink.gif

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
seeing it in person makes the gag reflex come into action, trust me.

P.S. you can see my car in the background... looks so much better!!! smile.gif

balladeSports

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Other problem is I only have space for 2 cars (Daily driver and weekend 1st gen CRX)
When I mean daily driver I mean 200 kms a day. I'm a photo jounalist and I drive alot. if I was to get a 88-91 it would just be slamed with a set of Hammer GSR rims thats it. I'm a big fan of the 85 Si , might get a Silver 87 Si from the states but again it would have to be mint! what ever happens is going to happen quick. winter is coming and I either need a better 1st gen or a $4000 Toronto 2nd Gen CRX.
Pix
http://members19.clu...wner-6c3a.phtml

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Photo Journalist.... you weren't kidding! Those pics are awesome, really!

As far as the ricing of the 1st gen goes..... the rice to nice ratio of a 1G over a 2G is about 1:100. There are the rare, RARE occasions that a 1G recieves some rice, but it doesn't come around often.

And yes, that gagrex is ugly, but not as bad as the red rim rex.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
if your cars floors look like this

I would advise either fixing them ASAP or taking a look at those rocker pannels.. mine were rotted out relaly bad everywhere. Im really suprised my seats didnt go thru the floor. Could it have been fixed.. probably, but at the cost Its more worth finding a car in florida to eitehr drive up or haul back on a car dolly.

I abandoned my project.. I should have left the floors uncut( I sawzawed them out thinking I was gonna rebuild them.. then I destroyed my exhaust to make my "race" exhaust... but the car is in peices ALMOST ready to be either cut up or hauled away.. Im really looking at buying another rust free one from the south so I dont have to deal with this rust crap, I have another honda to beat around in the winter...

Im stripiing the car next week as much as I can... I need to get that dash out and suspension, then the 15k old Si motor that needs a new home.

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
CRX8Grand: Sorry to say it, but you make my rust issue look like childs play, thanks for making it seem so much easier.

Worst rust on my car:

Good luck,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

SlowRexer

• JDM CRX (Junkyard Domestic Model)
  • PipPip
rookies

firewalls and floorboards are overrated anyway (excuse the crappy digicam)

mad.gif
Who's this torque guy I keep hearing about?

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
Don't buy a 2G! Nothing interchanges!

I too am a big fan of the '85 Si, especially black over gray ones. My race car was originally black over gray, and I have converted my son's black '86 Si to 2-tone black, recessed headlights and light-weight bumpers.

I remember your car from Niagara. Don't use it for winter! Black '85 Sis are too rare for that. (I drove my Baltic Blue '85 Si up from VA.)

Get a southern (or western) US car. Since you drive a lot, perhaps you should get an '85 HF (or an '84 1.3).

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion