Fuel/air Ratio Guage

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

racers10

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: GP 85 Civic GT-4 85 Civic 85 ITC 85 CR GT-3 (FP) 88 CRX 1.6
Ok this may have been addressed already, but I be sent to Stubenville if I can find it.

I am looking for advice/experience on a fuel/air ratio gauge to use on the FI 1500 race engines. I would like to hear from anyone that has experience with using one. I will be usning it primarily to set fuel pressure at the track (as opposed to a tailpipe probe in the shop). I have an adjustable regultor that could be better used to measure what the mixture is really doing at speed.

I would like to believe huh.gif that a simple gauge could run off the O2 sensor to give a resonable reading. I don't want to spend a fortune ( I do that in race tires) to get bells an whistles. I see a lot of information (or misinformation) on the web.

Thanks for the advise (or flames blink.gif )
Maurice

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (racers10 @ Apr 3 2008, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok this may have been addressed already, but I be sent to Stubenville if I can find it.

I am looking for advice/experience on a fuel/air ratio gauge to use on the FI 1500 race engines. I would like to hear from anyone that has experience with using one. I will be usning it primarily to set fuel pressure at the track (as opposed to a tailpipe probe in the shop). I have an adjustable regultor that could be better used to measure what the mixture is really doing at speed.

I would like to believe huh.gif that a simple gauge could run off the O2 sensor to give a resonable reading. I don't want to spend a fortune ( I do that in race tires) to get bells an whistles. I see a lot of information (or misinformation) on the web.

Thanks for the advise (or flames blink.gif )
Maurice

HEY MO! laugh.gif

You have any idea how long I've been wanting to do that? tongue.gif

I am in the process of mounting my recently acquired JAW in the race car getting prepared for the VIR double next weekend. I haven't even powered it up yet but will more than likely do that tomorrow or Saturday. I'm planning on mounting it in close proximity to the tach so I can see it and when the camera is rolling it will record all those times when I'm looking where I'm going.

Sort of like data logging in a way. I can clearly see the tach where my camera is mounted and it will be able to see the digital display of the Wideband too.

I'll let you know more this weekend when I try it out.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (jsgprod @ Apr 3 2008, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
JAW
Jay

beat me to it! I'm interested to see how that works out for you
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
Thanks Jay! I'm going to pick one up just to play with it. wink.gif

David
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (firstgencrx @ Apr 4 2008, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Jay! I'm going to pick one up just to play with it. wink.gif

David

Well, you may want to wait on that David. The one I have doesn't work! Or at least the display isn't doing a damn thing, not only that it's displaying some intermittent data when I connect it to my laptop which makes me suspect the O2 sensor. However when I connect that same O2 sensor to a Innovate LM-1 it works fine.

At the moment I'm not to happy with it mad.gif .

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (jsgprod @ Apr 7 2008, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, you may want to wait on that David. The one I have doesn't work! Or at least the display isn't doing a damn thing, not only that it's displaying some intermittent data when I connect it to my laptop which makes me suspect the O2 sensor. However when I connect that same O2 sensor to a Innovate LM-1 it works fine.

Jay

Alan stands by his work, contact him and he should help you get it sorted out.

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (jsgprod @ Apr 7 2008, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jay

Thanks for the heads up Jay. I will wait to see how it goes.

I did download the factory data sheets for the Bosch LSU 4.2 wideband O2 sensors and started to study them. The first being about 30 pages long, going into super deep details of how to use the sensor, and the second about three pages long going into the chemistry of how it works. they are both really interesting documents that talks about exactly how to use and control the device. I am starting to wonder how hard it would be to make my own controller. I have a more than hobby background in both electronics, and computer programming, so.... maybe this would be a fun project or DISTRACTION! NOT to sell these things! Just to do for the fun of learning about something new.

I did pick up a super mint P06 ECU the other day on Ebay. Got it for $25 bucks plus only $10 bucks shipping. I still can't believe I got it so cheap. The guy listed it with a "Buy it Now" only choice, and listed it as a Honda Civic computer, no real detailed description of what it was. I was able to tell it was a P06 from the label in the picture.

I am looking for a Bosch LSU 4.2 wideband O2 sensor now.

My box of tuning fun is growing.... he, he, he. laugh.gif

Take care Jay!!

David
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

timmydogg

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 Civic 1500s & 2010 F-150 Supercrew
I'm using a Innovates LC-1 wideband with a cheapo summit a/f gauge. i program one of the analog outputs to 0-1 volt and 14-10 a/f. So at 0 volts gauge says 14:1 a/f, and at 1 volt its 10:1 a/f. Basically just an "oh shyte" meter. i datalog the other analog output in Crome Pro for later review. but i know if i get a red LED to light up during a full throttle pull, then i'm lean.

summit gauge= http://store.summitr...mp;autoview=sku

made an excell doc to know what the LEDs mean= http://spreadsheets....Znb0knJgds1g4KQ

hope that helps

Xspenzo

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Acura CRX LSSi, 2000 Chevy Silverado LS
QUOTE (timmydogg @ Apr 9 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm using a Innovates LC-1 wideband with a cheapo summit a/f gauge. i program one of the analog outputs to 0-1 volt and 14-10 a/f. So at 0 volts gauge says 14:1 a/f, and at 1 volt its 10:1 a/f. Basically just an "oh shyte" meter. i datalog the other analog output in Crome Pro for later review. but i know if i get a red LED to light up during a full throttle pull, then i'm lean.

summit gauge= http://store.summitr...mp;autoview=sku

made an excell doc to know what the LEDs mean= http://spreadsheets....Znb0knJgds1g4KQ

hope that helps

10:1 is way rich. above 14.7 is lean. You may want to fix that

TribalHatch

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CiviC SI
I HAVE autometers air/fuel or stoichometer 2 inch gauge on my car and only has a wire for ground/power supply/ and one for the O2 sensor. and it works great

racers10

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: GP 85 Civic GT-4 85 Civic 85 ITC 85 CR GT-3 (FP) 88 CRX 1.6
Wow thanks Tim that is exactly what I was hoping to learn. A "oh shyte" reaction is all I expect from a driver on track. I can do some fuel pressure adjustments and know that the driver will see "RED" ohmy.gif and let up short of detonmation.

Autometer unit sounds like it operates from a one wire O2 sensor. May have to try since we race with leaded fuel and it tends to cause sensor problems over time.

Some day I will actually have to go to data acquisition, but not this year

Thanks for all the help. The RPR group is the best

Maurice

Edited by racers10, 10 April 2008 - 09:11 AM.

timmydogg

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 Civic 1500s & 2010 F-150 Supercrew
QUOTE (Xspenzo @ Apr 9 2008, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
10:1 is way rich. above 14.7 is lean. You may want to fix that

The idea is to stay in yellow, or 13:1 to 11.2:1. Still on the rich side, but if i ever see RED or GREEN, then I know there's a problem. 14.7:1 will kill a turbo motor under boost and load, well my motor anyway. By the way, this is only usefull during full throttle accelerations like during drag racing. Otherwise you are right and the range should be modified. Totally useless at idle.

alexm86

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si - Greek White, 2005 Convertible Mustang, 1995 Ford F150 XLT (5.8L/351W)
FYI: some Wide Bands don't work with Hondata, so if you are planning on upgrading to OBD-0 or 1, then see what is compatible before you buy one.

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
only if you want to log with crapdata, don't get me wrong its a cool feature but I am just bitter from their shady business practices

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Word, ill try anything to keep from buying a Hondata product for the rest of my time. Blundell FTW
Posted Image