What Are Y'all Putting In Your Tranny?

• You cannot reply to this topic
27 replies to this topic

vivenvex

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 00 Z28 08 Silverado 99 Tahoe 87 CRX Si
So I finally found that huge right in my face fill bolt..I know I know and checked and as I thought my fluid was low. So I drained that old 5 speed and now am at a dilemma.

Use 10-40 motor oil or the Honda stamped mtf...

Weigh in peppers.
2000 Camaro Z28-built 346 built 4l60e, 478rwhp nitrous coming soon...
1987 CRX Si-stock gas sipper
1999 Tahoe 4x4-rock solid suv that I can't afford to drive lol
2008 Silverado CCSB-5.3 intake, exhaust... My wife claims it =\

T-REX87

So I finally found that huge right in my face fill bolt..I know I know and checked and as I thought my fluid was low. So I drained that old 5 speed and now am at a dilemma.

Use 10-40 motor oil or the Honda stamped mtf...

Weigh in peppers.

the honda mtf does help having 2 mid 80's hondas, my 87 crx si, with honda mtf,.
and my 85 honda wagon , with the same mtf, helps, fluids and belts from factory do help
believe it or not, they last longer than aftermarket.

vivenvex

• Granny
  • Pip
Awesome so I put in the Honda mtf and now shifts are buttery smooth, 2nd still grinds a little but much much less.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
Yeah, I did the same, I put 10w-40 in my tranny and I had a heck of a time even just getting it in first gear! I'll never do that again! Problems went away with the Honda MTF. I talked about this with a friend who is a retired machinist and he was saying something like (and I probably am screwing up what he said) that the tranny fluid and machine tolerances go hand in hand, something about the oil having to withstand the pressure between the gears without breaking down and keep the parts relatively friction free and the machine tolerances between the parts reflect the viscosity of the oil. Something along the lines of them being engineered together or something. This is crucial for automatic trannys.

PHAT87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si NH-94M
    Garage View Garage
Have wondered if the same thing applies to Honda Manual Transmissions that use motor oil
that applies to old American V8 engines with flat tappet cams,
if the oil used needs to have ZDDP, Zinc Phosphurous, in it, like oil did in the 1980's and earlier ?
Todays street car engine oils no longer contain ZDDP.
There's all kinds of ZDDP additives and "custom" classic car engine oils now available.
Few years ago a "work-around" was to use Shell Rotella-T 15w40 Diesel Oil.
Diesel oils had different "rules" and they still contained ZDDP.
But about 2008 or 09 they reduced the ZDDP content even in Diesel motor oils.
Understanding is it's "APSI" number, iirc, in the circle emblem on the back of the oil bottles.
"SL" or earlier, iirc, still had ZDDP, "SM" or later does not.
Another ZDDP work-around is to use "Racing Oil" which I assume is exempt from "street use" requirements
and can still contain ZDDP, I use Valvoline VR-1 "Racing Oil" in an old American flat tappet V8.
It has a neon green sticker on each bottle that says it contains ZDDP.
VR-1 is available in Strait 30 wt, 20w50, and 10w30, but the 10w30 is difficult to find !
All the local retailers stock the VR-1 Strait 30 wt and 20w50, but not the 10w30 for some odd reason.....
The whole ZDDP in motor oil thing, if it's really needed, and why it was removed, is quite a yarn.
i used motor oil with ZDDP to re-fill my CRX 5 Speed a couple months ago after re-working axle boots.
Have driven almost 600 miles since then and all is working smoothly without issue.
Interesting question, topic, discussion.
What is the price of the Manual Transmission Oil from a Honda dealer ?
If it's got wheels or tatas, it's gonna consume time and money

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2004 Subaru FXT
Honda MTF was about $5-$6 a qt IIRC

Elliot
Posted Image

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Honda MTF.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

bigboi407

• Anti-Government Official
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1998 Dodge Dakota 2.5 2wd, 1986 Civic Si, 1990 Accord DX, 1994 Suzuki RF900R
    Garage View Garage
Note To self......... Drop Engine oil out of MT, Replace with Honda MTF..... :huh:

i threw it in there just for time being because the car is just sitting now waiting for me to fund the paint which should be very soon... within 2 weeks...

i also need to remove the transmission AGAIN for the 10th time because i told myself "Damn i dont think i put that rear main seal in properly" and i see oil coming from the rear main, i put RTV going the wrong way i think, bet i wont make that mistake again XD How did i do that...... Dont ask...
1984-1987 HONDA CIVIC CRX PARTS FOR SALE 1/25/12

I drive with a Lead-foot for Two Reasons--> 1. i like to be out front of the idiots that dont know how to drive 2. i like to the hear the sound of my engine..

ballade

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si B16A / 1992 Integra RS B18C
    • Image Gallery
Honda MTF is a great product. If your tranny is very sick and grinds a lot find yourself some GM Synchromesh "Modified".
Works wonders for worn synchros and butter smooth shifting.

asianflava

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 07 Tundra CrewMax 89 Si hatch 85 & 91 CRX Si
This is such a controversial topic around the internet. Look on just about any Honda related website and there are lots of opinions and personal anecdotes. Some mention the reduced zinc in motor oils, so poo poo on motor oil use MTF. Then I find a TSB saying that the MTF was changed in 94, people notice that it is now considerably thinner than before.

Except for an experiment with synthetic (big fail) I just use 10W30 and I'm done with it.

vivenvex

• Granny
  • Pip
As far as zinc/phos goes I use amsoil in everything. The Honda has the 10-40 amsoil high zinc and in my camaro I use 5-30 amsoil zrod which is the flat tappet/highly modified stuff that has very high zinc/phos content. I couldn't be happier as far as engine oils go.

mallardtape

I have always used 10w30 Amsoil synthetic in my Hondas. I recently pulled the tranny on my CRX that I bought a year and a half ago and I found 75w90 Amsoil Gear Lube in it (I know previous owner and he verrified). I figured if its been running 75w90 synthetic gear lube for 10yrs so I thought it would probably be a good idea to go back with it. So thats what I am running and it has had no ill effects on it and the CRX has had this for about 11yrs now.

Can some body say why Hondas use motor oil and other manufacturers use gear lube? Just a curiosity...

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Blacktop Swap, 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD, 2012 Toyota Rav4
    Garage View Garage
i use honda MTF in mine and it shifts smooth.
The Original CR-Z driver

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery
I used Castrol or Valvoline engine oil in my Honda manual transmissions since 1975.
But with the Mugen LSD, I used Redline 75 - 90 weight gear lube per King Motorsports recommendation.
I now use BG Ultra-Guard 75 - 90 weight gear lube since it breaks down less than Redline.

MK
You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

1st gen boy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si ( SCCA ITB) 88 CRX Si (SCCA GTL)
  • We run Redline Lightweight Shockproof and have been for years.