Painting The Interior

• You cannot reply to this topic
33 replies to this topic

williat5

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 crx
Alright so i plan on painting my interior on my 86 crx. Now i've never done this before so im gonna need all the details. I plan on stripping the inside completely out but i need to know how to paint all the pieces, what kind of paint to use ect ect. I need the basic info like how do i paint certain parts of the dash that won't come off without painting the whole dash.

hoopty dx

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic, 92 civic, 06 taco
    • Image Gallery
Why would you paint it?

Let me guees its going to be bright yellow tongue.gif

I just dont think its worth the time and effort when the paint gets scratched the next day.

I would just go to the junkyard and get a different color or buy a parts car with a nice interior.
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Jun 22 2004, 06:08 PM)
They got that engine out withtheir mighty facial hair cant you see

Team BUrnOUt Member # 3

car_bum

• car bum
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx si, 97 eagle talon tsi, 95 integra, 98 integra
    Garage View Garage
you need to ask the bodyman, dan the body man.
there a special paint thats designed for painting vinal and plastic, (dupont, sherwinwilliams, that im sure of) you can order it in the proper honda int colour by using the code inside the driver door . it has flex in it so it wont crack and comes in flat, med and high gloss. its exspensive, like $80cdn a pint, but i actually works. the problems come when the int isnt preped properly, paint and sillicone dont mix and all interior stuff like amorall has sillicone in it. so you have to use a sillicone a wax remover with a scotchbrite pad, scrub it till all the shine is toatally gone and it gets a white haze, if it doesnt hase then the silicone and wax remover wasnt agressive enough. so then i would recomend using asitone with the scotchbrite pad.
now if your going for the show shine int then your stupid, dashes are dull for a reason. the glare on the windshield will drive you nuts. but heres how you do that.
you have to remove the sillicone like i said above. then you have to get a 2k activated high build primer and use flexing agent in it. 2 or 3 coats on the dash, sand with 240grit to get rid of the texture and make it smooth. then 1 more coat and sand with 500, paint base clear, with flex in the clear. the flex stops it from cracking and it still has the padding from the factory, so when your face bounces off it when you crash from the glare, it will still comply with the police.
you can get everything from any auto body supply store.
all the stuff in spray cans is crap, its 1k which means that it drys only form evaporation and wont hold up like 2k activated thats molecularly crosslinked and will last for years. the key is to make your car worth more, not screw it up by beeing cheep and lazy
good luck: dan
start with a crx, then go mitsubishi eclipse, then run back to honda and never think those dirty thoughts again.

xsolidjacksonx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx hf
or an eaiser way and cheaper would be to go down to the local autozone...buy some "interior vynal paint" and tape off what you dont want to paint....and spray it down till your satisfied

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
Paint the interior? Don't do it, man.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
the previous owner of my car gave it the ever popular ricer interior paint. pulled off every part that snapped together and painted it white. now if that didnt look bad enought its flaking off all over the place and looks like total CRAP. its cheap, its rice, its senseless, its rice, it sucks, it looks like crap and did i mention that it is rice?
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

DSK 86CRX

• Team Tach-Out MotorSports
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 honda crx hf/si and my 86 civic hatchback si
    • Image Gallery
hey theres nothing wrong with painting the interior, i painted all of mine, it use to be blue and whit, now its all black. i also used the vinyl paint from autozone.

xsolidjacksonx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx hf
hah... what is up with you guys so against all this stuff? i mean....if you dont want it dont do it to your car..but i mean if he wants to do it... let him go for it. i personally dont like it. but i have a few friends who are into the showier side of the car world...and i think it looks pretty nice

hoopty dx

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
well just dont use krylon fusion like I did its no beter than regular paint.

I supose it wouldnt be so bad if you used good paint

Team BUrnOUt Member # 3

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (DSK 86CRX @ Apr 4 2005, 10:47 PM)
hey theres nothing wrong with painting the interior, i painted all of mine, it use to be blue and whit, now its all black. i also used the vinyl paint from autozone.

yeah, mine is blue and white....
cell phone pic rolleyes.gif

even the original blue was painted over with blue
just imagine it peeling off....

Edited by crxls, 04 April 2005 - 10:59 PM.

When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

Badluck Inc

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic wagon , 86 ninja ZX1000r
am going to paint most of my interior only because i cant get a dash and the other panels in black , the interior is blue and white now , it needs to go

Veonik

• because 35mph is FAST, yo!
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (crxls @ Apr 4 2005, 09:41 PM)
the previous owner of my car gave it the ever popular ricer interior paint. pulled off every part that snapped together and painted it white. now if that didnt look bad enought its flaking off all over the place and looks like total CRAP. its cheap, its rice, its senseless, its rice, it sucks, it looks like crap and did i mention that it is rice?

THere are ways to make a white interior look good. If it's clean, kept clean and mostly kept clean. And matches the exterior and you stick to a two tone (aka, Dash/lowers white; roof, etc, silver/gray and the exterior say like... ... white? or black?

My point is that painting your interior doesn't automatically qualify your car as RICE. You just have to be smart about it and not paint it yellow or anything.
user posted image

down4ce

If you do it properly fusion works wonders, if you spray it in a puddle on rubber and let it dry, it will turn into a hard puddle of plastic laugh.gif

hoopty dx

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
I guess I just suck at spray painting rolleyes.gif

Team BUrnOUt Member # 3

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Veonik @ Apr 4 2005, 10:59 PM)
QUOTE (crxls @ Apr 4 2005, 09:41 PM)

THere are ways to make a white interior look good. If it's clean, kept clean and mostly kept clean. And matches the exterior and you stick to a two tone (aka, Dash/lowers white; roof, etc, silver/gray and the exterior say like... ... white? or black?

My point is that painting your interior doesn't automatically qualify your car as RICE. You just have to be smart about it and not paint it yellow or anything.

if done properly but not just painting whatever can be removed making it look like you mix matched interior parts from a different car. thats how mine is done and i conciter it rice (the only rice of any sort on my car). if its done with some class then i guess it would be ok