1987 Crx Hf

• You cannot reply to this topic
50 replies to this topic

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1969 CST10, 1987 CRX HF
Finally decided to make a project thread since I will be doing some work to the little car to improve it's looks and handling. There's nothing that can be done to help with power, short of a motor swap, and I quite like getting 41mpg while thrashing around on the little thing so the 60hp HF motor stays. tongue.gif

I bought this initially to save on gas money so that I could spend more on the truck. The car has already paid itself off in fuel savings in about 3 weeks, and the little car uses as much gas in a month as the truck uses in a week! Mind you, I do work at Domino's as a driver, so, many many many many miles each week, easily over $100 a week in gas for the Chevy. :bigwink:

And this is how we currently sit.

Total costs involved from purchase to street legal? $370! laugh.gif

And last weekend I finished up on the Junkyard special, rear sway bar:

http://www.redpepper...e...c=48385&hl=

Today I began prep and prime for a budget paint job this weekend. The car is uncomfortably hot, and I use it all day at work (Domino's delivery). White will help keep the car cool, as well as improve the looks. As much as I LOVE this shade of blue, it's in terrible shape.

Should have it ready to go by wednesday!

Edited by TexanIdiot25, 28 August 2010 - 05:57 PM.

hondaguy72

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1998 Odyssey
If you ever decide to do a swap, the vtec-e motors from the vx (1.5) or the obdII 1.6 from the hx would put you in the same performance range as an si or better with even better mileage than you get now. Quick does not have to mean inefficient!

Looking good so far!

F22hb

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 88 RT4wd wago & 86 Hatchback
I want an Hf so bad as a commuter car/dd. If you need aluminum drums check out rockauto, they're only 30 bucks a peice.

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (hondaguy72 @ Jun 21 2010, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you ever decide to do a swap, the vtec-e motors from the vx (1.5) or the obdII 1.6 from the hx would put you in the same performance range as an si or better with even better mileage than you get now. Quick does not have to mean inefficient!

Looking good so far!

I've thought about it. biggrin.gif

The piston rings in this one are on their way out, it would seem. Not bad by any means, but has blow by and if you give it enough RPMs you can treat a squid to an oil bath at a redlight..

Other than that, still averaging 41mpg! Tough little car.

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

sad.gif

I was making a right turn onto the feeder road. I was aiming for the left lane. I forgot to downshift to 2nd, so mid-turn when I got on the throttle, lolnopower. While being distracted by this lack of power, and reaching to shift, I forgot to finish the turn... Fucking ADD. Thankfully, I think having the clutch in saved any drive-train pain, and the suspension is fine. Might've fucked up the shock, but the car drives perfect, minus the smallest donut spare in existance.

It was a silly mistake, but the little car's suspension just didn't have the travel to take the curb. The truck's big and beefy tires and steel wheel would've been like lolwatcurb?

If you have a wheel and are in the Houston area: http://www.redpepper...showtopic=48427

On the other hand, I suppose I'll do more prep work... rolleyes.gif

Edited by TexanIdiot25, 22 June 2010 - 08:03 PM.

Gant

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
OUCH!! I did that in my 84' bmw one time, only I bent 2 rims and made the a/c condenser start leaking for some reason lol blink.gif

^^click for wagoplan alpha^^

My name is Garrett.... like the turtle

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I've never made such a stupid mistake before. Over driven a car? Yeah, my old Firebird on new tires. Bad conditions? Sure, but I can drive my Chevy sideways all day (dat unloaded truck bed), and I can scoot around on backroads in the CRX with no drama. But to just lapse attention for a second just driving around normally and kill a wheel & tire? While my car is looking like this:

-facepalm-

I felt bad for the little car. It's my beater, but, it's so sad looking right now.

Good thing it goes White this saturday. No one will recognize me... smile.gif

Edited by TexanIdiot25, 22 June 2010 - 11:50 PM.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
QUOTE (TexanIdiot25 @ Jun 22 2010, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No one will recognize me... smile.gif

We'll still recognize you, TexanIdiot25.

We'll still recognize you.

tongue.gif

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Shenanigans! I'll just not post any more pictures once it's done, bwahaha.

At any rate, once AT&T decides to send my pictures, I'll have an update from today. I can't thanks Zakats enough for supplying a set of HX wheels, in return for hauling his motor. And a few other goodies for the CRX.

Edited by TexanIdiot25, 23 June 2010 - 09:08 PM.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (TexanIdiot25 @ Jun 23 2010, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shenanigans! I'll just not post any more pictures once it's done, bwahaha.

At any rate, once AT&T decides to send my pictures, I'll have an update from today. I can't thanks Zakats enough for supplying a set of HX wheels, in return for hauling his motor. And a few other goodies for the CRX.

VX, HX's are 14's but look almost identical
No prob.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Fenders are off, and have been fiberglassed behind the cracks. I thought to reinforce it further with lengths of coat hanger wire, across the crack. Meh, ghetto, but strong. Good news with pulling the fenders off is everything is fine with the car structurally it would seem, no hard hits. The only damage to the car that I found is it looks like someone ran the front of the car up something, and bent the lower core support a bit (not from me, had this when I got it).

I'm getting burnt out on it now, however. Ugh.

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Having a second wind! Fenders on, just need a bit of filler at the cracks. The front bumper is toast, I'll paint it for now but it will need to be replaced. So many cracks and splits, not worth my time to fix. So, prime driver's rear quarter, door, hood, bumper, bondo fenders and let dry when I'm at work, sand and finish them tonight. Touch up in primer, and I hope to RELAX friday.

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
98% done! And a new tire (sorry zakats, no sumi, but I needed something quick) so a Pirelli P5 is on. I may switch it to a wider tire, however, the tread width isn't as wide as the other 175/70s on the car. Just a bit of body filler and touch up tonight, and I'll relax tomorrow before paint on saturday.

Forcefed Si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: turbo'ed 87 Civic Si Hatchback and a heavily modified jeep wrangler
The body work is looking good. What kind of primer did you use? I'm just curious

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Rustoleum rattle can, autoprimer. I've had good luck with it before, so why not.

Layed the last coat of filler to smooth out the repaired spots.

Edited by TexanIdiot25, 25 June 2010 - 04:37 PM.