Scca

• You cannot reply to this topic
33 replies to this topic

1 slow rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
You guys got any tips on scca racing? I just got a 85 crx plans so far are get a si head,full gut, some stiffer rear springs, 2gal fuel cell, Thats about it doing this on a budget because it is kind of secondary to my drag racing and I just want to dabble and see if I like it. Oh and if I like it next season I will put a si trans in it.

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (1 slow rex @ Sep 14 2009, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys got any tips on scca racing? I just got a 85 crx plans so far are get a si head,full gut, some stiffer rear springs, 2gal fuel cell, Thats about it doing this on a budget because it is kind of secondary to my drag racing and I just want to dabble and see if I like it. Oh and if I like it next season I will put a si trans in it.

Get yourself a current rulebook, pick a class you want to participate in, and then modify according to the rules and class you want to race.

You picked the right car and website for this as there are MANY racers here and lots of seasoned veterans (definitely not me laugh.gif my car is a garage queen ) .. Good luck ..

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (1 slow rex @ Sep 14 2009, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A 2 gallon cell? blink.gif You must be wanting to do Solo stuff only then. For the on track road racing stuff you'll need at least an 8 gallon cell.

Other than that I'd suggest you go here SCCA region locator and find the closest region to your location. Wherever that is. dry.gif

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

1 slow rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (jsgprod @ Sep 14 2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A 2 gallon cell? blink.gif You must be wanting to do Solo stuff only then. For the on track road racing stuff you'll need at least an 8 gallon cell.

Other than that I'd suggest you go here SCCA region locator and find the closest region to your location. Wherever that is. dry.gif

Jay

Yes solo, as far as I know thats all we have around here.

Vicious

posting a location helps wink.gif we have a number of seasoned vets and if you have one close you can make a friend

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

1 slow rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Vicious @ Sep 14 2009, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
posting a location helps wink.gif we have a number of seasoned vets and if you have one close you can make a friend

Oh, Springfield Missouri

TigaRacer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
The Solo rulebooks are available online here.

Only tip I have is to just have fun.

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
QUOTE (1 slow rex @ Sep 15 2009, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, Springfield Missouri

Just an FYI in case you ever do decide to come over to the dark side of road racing or Track Days...
You are in SCCA's Mid-Div, within 200 miles of race tracks at:
Gateway - St Louis
Hallet - West of Tulsa
Heartland Park - Topeka
Mephis Int'l Motorsports - Memphis

Link to Mid-Div site for info on racing & solo:
http://www.midiv.org/
2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

86rustbox

• PipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic dx, 98 crv
QUOTE (1 slow rex @ Sep 15 2009, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, Springfield Missouri

hey, i'm up in st. charles. i raced rallyx at gateway speedway last year and autox this year.

BUILD YOUR CAR ACCORDING TO CLASS, if you really want to be competetive. i over-classed myself in autox by removing my interior. don't make this mistake unless you have the time and money to build the crap out of the rest of the car. before you do a mod, check the rule book if you care to stay in the same class. generally if it is some engine or under-chassis mod they probably won't notice UNTIL YOU START TO WIN.

all in all though it's about having fun. some people run-what-they-brung and don't build according to class, some people go the other way. either way it's a good idea to read through the rules and consider them.

i'm moving back to rallyx next year and i'm going to concentrate on that, i found it to be more fun. if you don't care about getting your car dirty, you should try it too. there are much fewer classes and therefore more mods allowed in each.

stlrallyx.org

happy racing. biggrin.gif

beer is good for you.

1 slow rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (TigaRacer @ Sep 15 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Solo rulebooks are available online here.

Only tip I have is to just have fun.

Thanks for the links guys.

1 slow rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (86rustbox @ Sep 16 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey, i'm up in st. charles. i raced rallyx at gateway speedway last year and autox this year.

BUILD YOUR CAR ACCORDING TO CLASS, if you really want to be competetive. i over-classed myself in autox by removing my interior. don't make this mistake unless you have the time and money to build the crap out of the rest of the car. before you do a mod, check the rule book if you care to stay in the same class. generally if it is some engine or under-chassis mod they probably won't notice UNTIL YOU START TO WIN.

all in all though it's about having fun. some people run-what-they-brung and don't build according to class, some people go the other way. either way it's a good idea to read through the rules and consider them.

i'm moving back to rallyx next year and i'm going to concentrate on that, i found it to be more fun. if you don't care about getting your car dirty, you should try it too. there are much fewer classes and therefore more mods allowed in each.

stlrallyx.org

happy racing. biggrin.gif

I would but half of the interior is gone some guy got the bright idea he was going to turn it into a drag car and started pulling the guts out but gave up. lol So I guess I will out class myself also and just build the rest of the car in the off seasons. I also have a couple of small town sponcers in on this deal. Small stuff like fuel tires and parts if they have them.

86rustbox

• PipPip
QUOTE (1 slow rex @ Sep 16 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would but half of the interior is gone some guy got the bright idea he was going to turn it into a drag car and started pulling the guts out but gave up. lol So I guess I will out class myself also and just build the rest of the car in the off seasons. I also have a couple of small town sponcers in on this deal. Small stuff like fuel tires and parts if they have them.

yeah without an interior i think you'd be in E prepared...but depends on your mods. EP is pretty open, with only a few exceptions like maintaining a motor that was available in your model. G prepared is more for closer-to-stock gutted cars. but don't quote me on that... unsure.gif

how'd you get even "small town" sponsors?!
beer is good for you.

1 slow rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (86rustbox @ Sep 16 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah without an interior i think you'd be in E prepared...but depends on your mods. EP is pretty open, with only a few exceptions like maintaining a motor that was available in your model. G prepared is more for closer-to-stock gutted cars. but don't quote me on that... unsure.gif

how'd you get even "small town" sponsors?!

Lots of friends that own or run shops...so does my dad oh and I work for one. lol got fuel out of one and shop time&parts out of the other. Just ask around my sponcers just pay for little stuff but it adds up. I'm waiting to hear from two others and still have to ask three others.

I will look at the rules when I get a chance to see where I want to run in a class

1 slow rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (1 slow rex @ Sep 16 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lots of friends that own or run shops...so does my dad oh and I work for one. lol got fuel out of one and shop time&parts out of the other. Just ask around my sponcers just pay for little stuff but it adds up. I'm waiting to hear from two others and still have to ask three others.

I will look at the rules when I get a chance to see where I want to run in a class

What do you guys run tire wise? well I guess it depends on class but what would you guys run on mine from what I have told you about it?

86rustbox

• PipPip
QUOTE (1 slow rex @ Sep 17 2009, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you guys run tire wise? well I guess it depends on class but what would you guys run on mine from what I have told you about it?

if you have 13" wheels, there are less tire options, but still many. the cheapest and a decent sport tire is the sumitomo htr200, that's what i run on stock steelies and have a 185/60r13 on there now. they hold up really well @45psi or so. if you're running in EP you can run slicks; hoosier, avon, and some other companies make slicks for 13" wheels. be sure to get a nice soft rubber slick for autox, something that will heat up quick (for hoosier the r45 or under). the hoosier a6 is a DOT legal slick and you'd be able to run it in the same classes as the sumitomo, with better results.

don't know about any larger size as i've planned to stay with 13" wheels (although i'd like to get some wider ones!). i hear yokohama and kumho make some good racing tires for 15"+.
beer is good for you.