• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

There's been a recent discussion happening on the official Red Pepper Racing Facebook page about the idea of letting the domain registration expire and using the Facebook page as a replacement for this forum.  Tom brought it up and wanted opinions.  I thought I'd share this on the forum as well to allow those who don't have a Facebook profile to weight in on this.  

The consensus on Facebook seems to be leaning toward keeping the forum, and I completely agree.  Facebook is not designed for accessing past information easily.  It fails miserably as an archive.  Imagine demolishing the library, but keeping the librarians around to answer questions about what used to be in the library.  It doesn't work.  The amount of valuable information on the forum is priceless and will only become more important as the years pass and our cars become even more scarce.

If it comes to money, I know myself, as well as several other members would be willing to cover the costs for registration.  If it comes down to maintenance and time, I suggest we offer to help Tom with the maintenance on the site.  I do web design and can handle most of the task required to maintain the site.  Are there any others out there with similar experience that would be willing to help?  

Please share your thoughts!

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

GT_GULF

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX SI Track Car

I vote to keep the site, I would've been screwed without it even when the site went down for a few days I was lost.

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: Only loaners at the present time!
    Garage View Garage

I, as one who has no presence on social media, would also like very much to see the forum continue. It means a great deal to me. I have been, and will continue to be a monetary contributor to the sites upkeep through the years and would definitely contribute more if needed. Although I have no specific or formal training in web design, etc. I'd be glad to provide any assistance that would benefit the site and its members. I would also like to say thank you to CRXer87hf for making those of us not following social media aware of this!

"Old and usually in the way" - Check out my '86 3G build in "VIEW GARAGE"

CRXgeek

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX, 1991 CRX

This site is a great CRX resource still, happy to donate to keep it going

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

The problem with our cars is that it does take a library to build them, so I am in support of keep this site, it's not the same as building something 88 and newer. For example if you wanted bolt on quicker steering there is no aftermarket solution. You would have to find an HF/1300 rack, but in order to do that you would have to know it exist in the first place and what car to find it on and how to identify it, best way being counting the teeth and pinion. Having a domain isn't free, and with a smaller pool of enthusiasts donations can be hard to come by, however, many sites have ads that help offset the costs. There might be other solutions, that is the one that I know of. I have thought of doing a PDF on the stuff I have done so if the site did go down there would still be some info out there, but it would never cover all the different ways people have solved their problems they encountered in their swaps.

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

I visit this site just about every day. Compared to a couple of years ago, there is virtually no traffic. I agree it's a wonderful resource - I have both used and contributed - but if there isn't a lot of activity then I can see why Tom asked the question.

I wouldn't mind both worlds. A reduced RPR presence focused on information and significant builds and tech; and a facebook side for the day to day transient stuff. That would require a group to look through the RPR site to extract good material, which would be a significant committment in time and in money. It would set us up for the next ten or more years. Copied all my text last night in the build thread, and there is a lot I could take out as not vital, as an example.

How about that as a different take on  how to use the strengths of both platforms.

Ian

anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 2012 Civic Si, 1987 Crx Si
    Garage View Garage

I vote to keep the forum. Although I don't come here as often, I still come here when I'm in a pinch and I know I will be coming here for future projects and inputs for my build. This isn't something we can really afford to lose as a community. 

sedanman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 crx dx 88 sedan 93 sedan
I refuse to join Facebook

without this site I have nowhere to post do what you like

i appreciate the opportunity for being a part of it either way

Billy.

CSPCRX

Keep the site I do not do facebook, twitter, snap, or any of that stuff.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (HPDE-4 NASA & TA-AB Time Attack)

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!  I'm happy to inform you that its been decided that the site stays.  If I may quote Tom:

"Okay, well it looks like the consensus is to keep the site, which I am fine with, I just wanted to gauge the communities thoughts. There is always a donation link on the site, I just feel awkward pointing it out."

I know several people took the initiative  to donate when seeing the thread on Facebook including myself.  If you're in a position to, please donate to show Tom our support, or if not, just leave a comment showing your support for his efforts!

Thanks again everyone.  RPR Power!  :D 

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

I agree with everyone's sentiment that's posted and will be donating. 

Tom, can you let us know how much you need to keep the site up and how much has been donated each year?  We don't really know whether to donate $10 or $100 and whether you're all set for the year or not.  I have no clue what it takes cash-wise to keep something like this forum running and as long as I use the resource, figure I should at least contribute to its existence. 

Another idea would be to have some RPR stickers that would be mailed out if you donate over $20 or whatever you deem sufficient.  Maybe Chedda, Heeltoe or another vendor would offer some sort of small discount on parts for a more substantial donation. I can only assume a decent amount of their torsion bar business is funneled through this site; I know mine was.

Zephyr

• On the Podium
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member

Although my visits to RPR have dwindled just as my interest and inventory of 1G/3G's has I feel that this is a very valuable resource. Facebook is not the answer for everything! The old fashioned forum is great!

1985 CRX Si H2 Racecar
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with a WRX swap

letank

Thank you for keeping the site.

Indeed it is less active because the vehicles are fixed... or we use the search feature...

jgreaves42

• Granny
  • Pip
I'm glad the decision has been in favor of keeping the forum site too. How much are maintenance costs annually? I'm a previous donator and willing to help again but I think it necessary to know what needs must be met. Maybe a meter showing how much is left could be made as a sticky with the donate button.
Thanks Tom for all your work.

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

I'm glad the decision has been in favor of keeping the forum site too. How much are maintenance costs annually? I'm a previous donator and willing to help again but I think it necessary to know what needs must be met. Maybe a meter showing how much is left could be made as a sticky with the donate button.
Thanks Tom for all your work.

Man, it almost like someone already said this.  :P