My Ride In Mikes Red Turbo

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

ibcnya

• HNFTuning
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: his girlfriend crazy
Mike's crx of Cheap Trix Racing is hella quick. I rode up to mocksville today to check those guys out. Tony and Mike are two really cool gearheads laugh.gif I could hang with those two anytime. Mikes red si running 7psi of boost put a big ass smile on my face. Ive made up my mind and i dont want a d16, im gonna keep the ew and boost that lil son of a bitch. we hit 85mph like it was nothing and he really didnt have the hammer down either. They really have me wondering why everyone turns to swaps for more power. The EW's will go and do it pretty damn fast. I grinned from the first time i heard the BOV till I got out of the car. smile.gif I also had a chance to see the Realtime civic wagon Tonys working on boosting and the thing is gonna make one hell of a work horse. laugh.gif Tony's also got a few other tricks up his sleeve but thats for him to show and tell....Ill just keep them to myself rite now.

Mike and Tony.....thanx for letting me hang out with you guys. I made it home in a little under a hour, and no i dont have to sleep on the couch tonight laugh.gif Later guys

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
Mainly people go to swaps for even MORE power. A boosted d16 will be faster than a boosted EW. Thusly, swaps. Thank you for playing our game.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

mysql

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: own:75 toyota pickup,85 crx si, 95 ford ranger 00 civic ex (ol' ladies)
i really shouldn't have slept in today i hate i missed out on that
1995 ford ranger (beater)
1986 crx si..
wifeys 2000 civic ex ebay coilovers and 17in drag dr11 with nexxen z rated tires soon to be b16 powered with b20 automatic trans (girls)

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
QUOTE (Maine_Honda_Racer @ Sep 24 2006, 09:25 PM)
Mainly people go to swaps for even MORE power. A boosted d16 will be faster than a boosted EW. Thusly, swaps. Thank you for playing our game.

Except, that most of the people I see swapped stay NA.

But basically it'd say it's like this:

NA Swap - Good Power, Great reliability
Boosted Stock - Better Power, Less reliable
Boosted Swap - Stupid Fast...

But that's just my take on it.

mysql

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: own:75 toyota pickup,85 crx si, 95 ford ranger 00 civic ex (ol' ladies)
personally i'd rather do an NA b series swap....cause mine will be a DD and im not wanting any problems lol
1995 ford ranger (beater)
1986 crx si..
wifeys 2000 civic ex ebay coilovers and 17in drag dr11 with nexxen z rated tires soon to be b16 powered with b20 automatic trans (girls)

ibcnya

• HNFTuning
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I cant believe these are all the comments I have about this post. To make it clear theres no way in hell im gonna spend the bucks ppl spend on engine swaps and such when I have a good platform to work with already. You can say yeah turbos arent realiable for street and blah blah blah but the one i saw yeaterdays at normal throttle runs like a normal rex but if you go as much as half throttle itll plant your ass in the seat and put a smile on your face doin it..I will not swap anything but another ew or d15a3 into my rex if i ever need another engine. biggrin.gif

therealtime

• Slow builder of Fast cars
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si Turbo, 87 Civic Wagon 4wd (sold), 88 Civic Hatch Std. (RIP), 93 del Sol Si (sold)
low boost on a stock motor = good power and good reliability
na on a b series = more money, same power, same reliability
boosted b series = even more power, less reliability, and a shitload more money.

all statements are speaking in general. if your buddy that races a sponsored honda wants to give you his last years b-series and you snag a used turbo kit on ebay for $150, only the lack of reliability applies, but it will be fun for a while.

ew motors grow on trees around here and home-made turbo kits are getting cheaper each time i build one. as long as you keep the horsepower to a reasonable limit you will still have a super-light car that is very fast and easy on the budget and 90% as reliable as stock.

i think i'll stop there for now. thanks for the visit and the compliments ibcnya.

-tony

-Tony
1986 CRX Si turbo project best 1/8mi et= 8.02
1987 Civic Wagon Real Time 4wd (SOLD)
1993 Del Sol Si (sold)

and Various non-Hondas
www.cheaptrixracing.com

wago%20clan.JPG
ex Wagovan-Clan Member

gtcali

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '89 Civic Sedan (turbo), 2000 Suburban 4x4 (lifted), 85 CRX Si (project)
Also to take into consideration is weight distribution. I assume the EW turbo would be lighter that a B series N/A. Wouldn't the car be more balanced?

ibcnya

• HNFTuning
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (gtcali @ Sep 25 2006, 03:28 PM)
Also to take into consideration is weight distribution.  I assume the EW turbo would be lighter that a B series N/A.  Wouldn't the car be more balanced?

yes the ew is alot lighter than most swaps.....therefor the weight distribution and weight period changes very little. if at all....and its alot more conventional on your pocket from what i here wink.gif

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
I am a fan of the EW and I made the decision to stick with it. I have built a fairly strong (~120hp at the crank) EW that passes California smog inspection and is happy to be driven on the street.

Turbos are not the easiest to build or live with. Some folks make it look easy, but the tuning requirements are not something to take lightly. Unless your REALLY know what you are doing, NA is the way to go.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

iceracercrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 CRX
I did the EW turbo route. It was great, 232 WHP was the highest numbers I saw. The engines are kinda weak once you cross the 170 mark, I think. Aftermarket parts are hard to find and when you do, they are big money.

Good bye EW

Hello BBBBBBBBBUddy

Randy

MakDiesel

• She'll do 80 mph in 2nd gear and 45+ mpg, not simultaneously
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '89 CRX HF-Z1 ~ no carpet, no A/C, no muffler, earplugs optional '97 Hatch DX-Y5 ~ Roll cage & lean burn
    • Image Gallery
I missed out on yr visit Ibcnya, I'm literally 3 miles down the road from Mike and Tony. I don't sport turbo anything, I'm into efficiency at the moment. As for the B vs. D-T debate, they both have their strengths/weaknesses but after sampling both versions (including a B-Turbo), my vote is boosted EW. Cost alone is the winner, next is rarity and simplicity, followed by time spent to cheesy grins on the gas ratio. And if you would see my DD, I'm apparently allergic to weight. But to each his own...Mak
QUOTE (therealtime)
i see you did a world class rape on the rest of the vehicle lol.

12valvesnolimit?

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
We really enjoyed ibcnya's visit to our little piece of Honda heaven. And makdeisel if you were home once in a while instead of out (beating the streets lol) you could have came over too.We understand though with work school and your own build projects your time is limited. We welcome you guys anytime and any RPR members in the area. when you need another Boost fix come on over. I personally cant wait until therealtime's
(White Beast Of Boost) is terrorising the track again .Wont be long Tony's pumped and so am I.
He has worked long and hard on my red SI turbo but compared too his Beast
he can't quite get the dopamine high he needs driving my street car.

Michael@CTR
-Mike
1987 CRX Si turbo d15a3 8:73 1/8 mile on pump gas 8psi 172k on motor
www.cheaptrixracing.com

ibcnya

• HNFTuning
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (12valvesnolimit? @ Oct 3 2006, 07:25 PM)
. when you need another Boost fix come on over. I personally cant wait until therealtime's

Michael@CTR

Hopefully it wont be long and i can bring my boost fix home with me laugh.gif

jedi420

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Banned
    • Drives: 86 civic with zc d16 brown top
    • Image Gallery
what all do you need for a ew turbo setup?????????/