fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 Civic 1500S - ZC converted
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Hey Everyone..

Thought ide post this up here to keep track of what I have done and hopefully some of you might be interested in some of the things I’m doing. 

This isn’t so much a rebuild of my car, but more of a re-shell project of swapping most of my good parts from my old shell to my new with a lot of improvements along the way.

Here is the link to my old build.

The original shell I have had since I got my licence about 8 years ago and have been slowly working on since. When I finally started to fix the rust, it was too much and finding a new body was the best option. There wasn’t mass amounts of rust like I have seen on some cars on here, but on the passenger side from half way up the a pillar and above the door the roof was basically not attached due to rust and some dodgy cover-ups someone had done before I bought the car.

I took that car off the road in 2011 and has sat in my garage patiently waiting (with a few sneaky drives up the street every now and then :ph34r:) for me to find a new shell with no rust. In Australia these cars are becoming rarer and rarer to find, especially in good condition. After looking at numerous cars, with every one of the owners assuring me there was no rust before I drive sometimes up to 3 hours away too look at them, just to find out they are full of rust and worthless.

It took me until mid-2012 to find one in nearly perfect condition. I couldn’t believe my luck when found it. It is a one owner with 112000km on it. The lady I bought it from had it since new, driven it for a few years and then left it garaged for 7 years (!) before starting to drive it again. It has a full service history (not that it matters to me) and has absolutely no rust what so ever :D .

Here is a pic of when I first got it home

2012-06-04155430_zps0cdbdcb5.jpg

I drove it around for a month then cancelled the registration and parked it in the garage as well for around 11 months. During the month driving it my girlfriend jokingly started calling it "Red Rocket" and the name has stuck. It’s no rocket at the moment but once I’m finished it will be!

Thats pretty much the story of it and brings us to today.

The plan is to swap all the main parts over and do a few improvements along the way. Ill list all of the main parts here to save looking through my other tread.

Suspension:

TEIN Suspension Kit

24mm Upgrade Motoring T-bars

Full Energy Suspension Kit

David’s Bump Steer Correction Kit

David’s Camber Caster Plates

David’s two-axis adjustable Panhard bar

DC2 Integra Front Strut Brace

14mm or 18mm EK Civic rear sway bar

Brakes:

S2000 Front Calipers and 280mm Discs

G1 Integra Rear Discs and Calipers

5G Accord Booster and 15/16 master cylinder (haven’t tried fitment yet but looks good)

Engine:

D16A3 (same as DOHC Browntop ZC) Rebuilt 30K Km's ago

GT2560R Turbo

Custom Manifold

AVO 540X200X76mm Intercooler

2.5" Exhaust and Dump Pipe

Adaptronic e420C ECU

DSM 440cc Injectors

AEM Adjustable Cam Gears

Unorthodox Racing Crank Pulley (Racing Version)

Gearbox:

Mfactory B-series Helical LSD

Body:

Real ZC Hood B)

3G Accord rear door handles (deletes the lock)

Above are the parts I have (or will have soon in the case of the camber plates and panhard rod). I will be fully rebuilding the gearbox with Syncrotech carbon syncros when I install the LSD.

Thats enough for the introduction post I think.

Cheers

Luke

fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

I have begun the long process of swapping all the parts over.

So far I have all of the suspension and rear brakes swapped over.

I have been cleaning everything up as I go so it takes a while to get anything done.

I have also been spraying fish oil in any space I can to prevent any rust problems in the future.

Here is a few photos to keep you all interested.

P5230361_zps6067d0a3.jpg

My Garage

P5230362_zps76b724e1.jpg

Rear Axle

P5230364_zpsc1809186.jpg

TEIN's

P5230365_zpseb12c622.jpg

Rear Brakes

P5230370_zps4a627118.jpg

Installed

P5300005_zps07b45117.jpg

My Favorite Picture

Cheers

Luke

fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

S2000 Front Brakes

These brakes are practically a bolt on swap. The tough part is finding a disc with the right offset.

The best I found is DBA2353 which is from a Renault Clio or Megane. This is a 280mm diameter disc, 24mm thick. The centre bore is the same as stock (61mm) and they have a 4X100mm stud pattern. 

These discs don’t have the perfect offset, 1.5mm less would be perfect but I think they should work fine. I have test fitted them but not with the pads yet so we will see.

To make the calipers fit you must file a small part of the caliper mounting bracket off as it hits the disc hat as they are designed to work with 300mm discs and be mounted further from the hat. I have done this and it is very easy but have no pictures at the moment but will post some soon.

Here is a comparison of the weight differences between stock 3G, 1G Integra and the S2000 DBA2353 combo.

P5300001_zps485442fe.jpg

Stock 3G (with pads)

P5300002_zps6b016381.jpg

1G Integra (with pads)

P5300009_zps05411abe.jpg

S2000 (no pads)

P5300003_zps968c98dd.jpg

Stock 3G

P5300004_zps5149e961.jpg

1G Integra (machined a few times)

P5300008_zpsfe66ab2d.jpg

DBA2353 (Renault Clio/Megane)

Calipers

3G       - 2.8Kg

1G       - 3.9Kg

S2000 - 4.3 Kg (without Pads)

Discs

3G       - 3.2Kg

1G       - 3.9Kg (Machined a few times)

S2000 - 6.8 Kg

Totals

3G       - 6Kg

1G       - 7.8Kg

S2000 - 11.1Kg

You can see the caliper is only slightly heavier, but the disc much heavier. This is a good thing for braking as it will take a lot more abuse before it gets too hot.

I will be bolting these on next week and will have more photos of the install and mods needed to fit.

Cheers

Luke

PowerWheels86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CIVIC Si
    Garage View Garage

man i love that garage!! so much room for activities!! hahhaa

S2000 brakes? sounds interesting... did you use integra rear disc brakes... any other alternate for that front disc?

Dark Side of the Power........
Posted Image

Wheels

QUOTE (RARECRX @ Jun 26 2009, 06:55 PM)
The ONLY BMW's I like are (Beautiful Mexican Women)

fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Yeah just stock 1G Integra rear discs.

The S2000 calipers piston size is very similar to the 1G Integra’s piston size (front calipers) so the proportioning should be very similar, only time will tell when I finally drive it and test them out.

1gcvcb18

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84' Honda CIvic HB, 93 Honda Accord EX Wagon
    Garage View Garage

Did you have to mod the s2000 calipers to fit the integra knuckles

cbb4bf8a-8fb9-4b3f-9246-c8a7778a62a1_zps

Build Thread

fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Only a very small amount of fileing to the front side of the caliper mounting bracket so it doesn't interfere with the "hat" part of the disc. Other than that they are bolt on. I'll have more photos next week when I get time to finish it off explaining it all.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

S2000 Front Brake Mods Needed

Here are some photos showing the small amount of filing need to allow the caliper bracket to work with the stock knuckle and larger disc.

SDC11400_zpsc3c90276.jpg

Modified on the left, stock on the right. It only need the smallest amount taken off.

SDC11405_zps387ca67c.jpg

Here you can see its only around 2mm deep.

SDC11415_zps85e24739.jpg

The bracket bolted on showing why it need to be filed

SDC11417_zps396b0692.jpg

Closer look

SDC11418_zps0333fd6a.jpg

Showing how centered the rotor is.

SDC11420_zps6b3c57b6.jpg

SDC11421_zps7af23e58.jpg

It was hard to get one good photo showing the gaps on either side.

About 1mm further out (to the left in these photos) would be perfect. But it will work fine as is.

SDC11422_zps3d77ab6f.jpg

A disk about 5mm smaller overall in diameter could be used. I only discovered this today so will do some searching to see what other options there are.

SDC11423_zps7565a567.jpg

15" rims are a must with this set up. I tried with some stock Integra 14's and they wouldn't fit.

Cheers

Luke

79cord

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 79Accord,'88Integra,'81Prelude,'89CRXsir
    • Image Gallery
Shame blue had to go as it obviously would have meant a lot to you.
Brake set-up looks amazing, even if I am afraid of the weight. I guess 1g integra discs are a little warp prone though.
And sounds like you should have the power to justify it.

I have a set of those wheels too, bought for '88 integra but decided they looked better on Accord. Admittedly they aren't light either. (Go on, colour in the 'type R' bit).

fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

I did try to make it work with the blue one, but no one would touch the rust in it because of the location.

I have warped my integra brakes multiple times so hopefully these will hold up a lot better.

Haha, I was actually think thinking about filling in the writing on the rims if I end up using them. But I have some better 7" wide rims that are also much lighter which I will be using.

Cheers

Luke

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

1gcvcb18

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84' Honda CIvic HB, 93 Honda Accord EX Wagon
    Garage View Garage

Today i tried 93 accord ex wagon calipers on teg knuckles and they fit but need a little trimming and will need 10.3 rotors just in case any one else wants some other option.  Also the accord wagon caliper is the same parts number to the 98-00 ITR, they are quick big and just rubs a little on the 99-00 SI rims

cbb4bf8a-8fb9-4b3f-9246-c8a7778a62a1_zps

Build Thread

fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Anjin has done something similar to that on his build here using 94 Prelude (same as Type R I think) calipers and 262mm discs.

I thought about going the Type R way but from my research the Type R calipers (Cast Iron) weighed 6.12kg opposed to the 4.3kg for the S2000 (Aluminum). You would save some weight with the smaller diameter disc, but I figured bigger is better for the amount of power I will have.

fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Engines Out!

I finally pulled the engines out of both my cars and re-installed the Red Rockets stock one in Blue to keep it out of the way.

P6280364_zpsf1fcc4c5.jpg

Gone!

P6280361_zpsc1a408a4.jpg

Going

P6280367_zpsae6c752e.jpg

Gone!

P6280362_zps6c6ba07c.jpg

I haven't installed the D16 in Red Rocket yet as I have too clean up the engine and bay, and sort out wiring and such.

I could swap over my old harness to get it going but I want to make an entirely new engine harness. The other one was quite old and had many modifications to make it work. Starting from scratch will be much simpler and neater I think.

Over the next few weeks I will have to strip the entire interior out to run all the wiring neatly and make it look like stock. I am planning on mounting the ECU either in the glove box, or up behind it if space permits. I never liked having it under the seat and since I'm doing my own harness, I can easily mount it wherever I want.

Luke

fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

I didn't get a whole lot done this week on Red Rocket, but I got a few small jobs out of the way so I can move onto the bigger things.

First up I completely removed the under dash AC box to be replaced by an AC delete piece. I have a photo of it that I will post up here soon.

Then I got my fuel lines sorted out. I am using 2 stock main lines, as the stock return on the carby cars is only 4mm. While it would work with the small line (it has done for the past 6 years with my set up) I figured since it’s all apart I may as well do it properly.

I wanted the engine bay to look as neat as possible so I moved the lines so they exit on the passenger side (left in Australia) and am using Speed Flow bulk head fittings.

The complete list of fittings I’m using for each line is a, -5 Tube nut -> -5 to -6 Male Expander -> Female -6 Joiner -> 90° -6 Bulk head fitting.

P7050360_zps25dc97c6.jpg

P7050363_zpse5f5c0db.jpg

I am still using the stock tank vent line.

I mounted my breather tank using riv-nuts. This makes it easy to install and remove the tank later on when the dash is reinstalled.

P7050365_zps86afb67d.jpg

Red Rocket was originally auto so I am converting to manual; I had read it is practically a bolt in swap so I wasn't too worried, until I noticed one difference between the auto and manual versions. The auto version doesn't have this part:

P7060367_zps782fd2a1.jpg

It is what the rubber seal mounts to so stop dirt and noise entering the cabin. I had to drill out the spot welds and cut a lot of metal to get this out of my blue car.

I am now up the stage of routing all the wires for my ECU while I have the interior out. I will be mounting the ECU in the glove box for easy access and it will look neat and out of the way in there. I'm just waiting on my new loom to arrive and some weatherproof connectors and I can get going on it.

Luke

fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Its been nearly 3 months since my last update, and that is because it has been nearly 3 months since I've done any work on Red Rocket :(  

Over the past few days I have started to route all the wiring for the ECU (Adaptronic E420C) and various gauges/sensors (Oil Temp/Pressure, Boost Innovate LC-1). I'm mounting the ECU in the glove box for easy access and I think it is better than mounting it under the seat. I'm running the wires all neatly through the stock wiring "holders" up under the dash to keep it all neat, unlike in my blue car :ph34r:, and adding any extra fuses into the stock fuse box.  

IMG_0183_zps19facf10.jpg

Here's some of the wiring and the AC delete tube.

IMG_0184_zpsbaf065c7.jpg

IMG_0182_zpsfa556b4d.jpg

More wires...

I also re-sealed the interior fan as the foam was falling apart when I pulled it out.

IMG_0174_zps0d6b9765.jpg

And lastly I have made up a brace for the clutch cable to prevent it from snapping down the line. This happened to my blue car while i was driving and it was a pain in the ass to get home!

IMG_0179_zps3cb29e55.jpg

IMG_0180_zpsac0eb21b.jpg

IMG_0181_zps5dcd011c.jpg

I just need to weld it up, get it sand blasted and bolt it in  :)

Hopefully I should have some more progress soon as I have found my motivation again after the break.

Luke