• You cannot reply to this topic
39 replies to this topic

wyclefcupcake

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 honda crx si CONVERTIBLE by R. Stramman
    • Image Gallery
ok so i have seen everyone say to get one of those HF half sized dual core radiators and then people say they have a GSR radiator and then a radiator from a civic and the list just keeps going on an on.

i have a 1985 honda crx si. if i am going to get a b16a swap into my car, what is the BEST radiator to put there to give the most cooling!?!?

what radiator will cool the best and also fit pretty close to stock. i need to know what year car to get it from AND what model, so that i could just order a new one from autozone or advance auto parts. i dont really care how expensive it is, i just want the best! and also i saw people had said they would put 2 fans on their radiator, or get a slim high flow cooling fan or something, so if you had the best radiator, what would be the matching best fan for the radiator as well.

even right now with my stock motor i feel like my radiator is always heating up because the exhaust manifold from the engine is always roasting hot! my stock SI engine does have 260,000 miles on it, i had it rebuilt a year ago, and i guess i'm just running it into the ground until i have done every upgrade possible to get the b16a swap. yup this car is my daily driver.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/434210 - thats my ride, 1985 honda crx si convertible by R. Stramman.

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
has onyone tried the aluminum type aftermarket radiators?
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (1stGenRex @ Sep 22 2006, 09:09 AM)
has onyone tried the aluminum type aftermarket radiators?

are you talking about the ones that have the aluminium core and the plastic tanks?

If so, they suck. simple vibrations have caused the seams to split, when that happens, you can't fix them (well, you can, but it is more cost effective to replace the whole damn thing)
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (badpenny @ Sep 22 2006, 07:37 AM)
are you talking about the ones that have the aluminium core and the plastic tanks?

If so, they suck.  simple vibrations have caused the seams to split, when that happens, you can't fix them (well, you can, but it is more cost effective to replace the whole damn thing)

i was talking about something like this

1GRPhotography
MySpace

DSK 86CRX

• Team Tach-Out MotorSports
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 honda crx hf/si and my 86 civic hatchback si
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (1stGenRex @ Sep 22 2006, 10:30 AM)
i was talking about something like this

i would love to get something like that but the size of an hf's radiator.

Fennec

• I-5 traffic dodger
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic 4dr (hibernating), 83 Civic Type S (daily masher)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I've seen some turbo guys use this:

Mishimoto radiator

It's really cheap compared to the others (fluidyne, koyo, etc.) but the same construction. I've only heard good things about this radiator.... well on Honda-Tech at least...

It's half the width and dual core, but it is definately not bolt in for our cars. Also the inlet outlet hoses are too big for our cars. Ours are 1 1/8 I think these are 1 1/4 inch.

I've also been looking for an appropriate upgraded radiator without going to an HF radiator for turbo-ing. I'm still searching dry.gif
HONDA: What else is there?
user posted image

user posted image

Buy/Sell with Confidence (vouches)

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (DSK 86CRX @ Sep 22 2006, 09:11 AM)
i would love to get something like that but the size of an hf's radiator.

thats exactly what i was thinking!

maybe the del sol one would work
1GRPhotography
MySpace

wyclefcupcake

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
anyone have any experience with what radiators they are using now to help dissapate heat better?
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/434210 - thats my ride, 1985 honda crx si convertible by R. Stramman.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Honda do not run hot, so you do not need as much radiator as you might think. If your Honda has cooling issues, it may not be the size of the radiator that you should worry about.

The tiny half sized radiators seem to work fine in anything but a daily driver with A/C in the summer.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

b16cRex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 crx si
on my turbo setup i use the 92-95 civic radiator and it keeps the engine cool enough for my needs. i had to fab a bracket to put it in but if you have an imigination its not hard.

EPcivic

• 2008 & 2009 EP National Champion
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
I bought one of the all aluminum 'Del Sol' dual core radiators off ebay. It was really cheap, like $100 or so. It almost works too good. I don't have any problems with running hot, and this is on a 12:1 full race type motor. I also used a Del Sol / 92-95 Civic style fan and shroud. The fan shroud had to be modified a little to fit, and the upper core support had to be cut to allow access to the radiator cap. Here's a few pics:

I don't think you gain a lot by having the full width radiators, because the exhaust is so close to it in front of the motor. Also, not shown in the pictures is an aluminum panel that I run that blocks off the area between the radiator and the driver's side of the car so air can't just go around the radiator.

-Chris

SEEKERone

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX (Straman Convertable) 87 CRX Si 91 CRX
I have B16 swap in my car...I am using stock replacement radiator with stoc fan. Have had zero issues including road trips and sitting in traffic 30+minutes. No a/c and no turbo (yet)

wyclefcupcake

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Sep 22 2006, 02:57 PM)
Honda do not run hot, so you do not need as much radiator as you might think. If your Honda has cooling issues, it may not be the size of the radiator that you should worry about.

The tiny half sized radiators seem to work fine in anything but a daily driver with A/C in the summer.

Scott

see my problem is that my engine gets really hot. i mean super hot.
when i have the A/C on the temp skyrockets to the redline in the summer.

i want the best radiator that i can use A/C with during the summer and my car is a daily driver.

and for the thermostat we even opened it up all the way so that coolant is always going thru the engine. its perma-opened and my engine still gets hot.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (wyclefcupcake @ Sep 23 2006, 04:39 PM)
see my problem is that my engine gets really hot. i mean super hot.
when i have the A/C on the temp skyrockets to the redline in the summer.

i want the best radiator that i can use A/C with during the summer and my car is a daily driver.

and for the thermostat we even opened it up all the way so that coolant is always going thru the engine.  its perma-opened and my engine still gets hot.

Your engine has issues with the coolant flow through the head and block. Perhaps there is a water pump failure or blockage in the block or head. Your stock radiator should be adequate for your current needs, so if the rad is not blocked then your block is.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

wyclefcupcake

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Sep 24 2006, 09:57 AM)
Your engine has issues with the coolant flow through the head and block. Perhaps there is a water pump failure or blockage in the block or head. Your stock radiator should be adequate for your current needs, so if the rad is not blocked then your block is.

Scott

so what should be the things i try to fix?

i was thinking since my engine gets so roasting hot that maybe i have a hole in my exhaust manifold (header?) so i'd check there first.

i guess i could just buy a new water pump, they are only like $30 bucks.

if that doesnt work, then what do i have to do? get a new head gasket or something? how much is a new head gasket kit for the EW4 (the 85 crx si) motor?