Crxmas 2010 Update - Or Downdate.

• You cannot reply to this topic
87 replies to this topic

Emefef

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '11 Tucson, '06 Montana, sold the '87 CRX, '99 CBR (half a car)
This is a great site! I can tell already I need a Red Pepper Hoodie and maybe a shift knob. Definitely a decal!

My project is inspired by nostalgia and true love. No seriously!

In 1986 my wife bought her first brand new car. I was 20, she was 21 (we weren't married yet), and she bought an '86 CRX, black. We didn't have the Si in Canada then, so it was a DX. The only options were the antenna, some wheel covers, and that pull out cargo cover in the back. She absolutely LOVED that car (she had a 1981 AMC Spirit before it).

In 1993, she was pregnant with our first boy and I only had a motorcycle. We did a swap with within the family - my dad wanted a small car with a manual transmission for all the younger kids to learn on (I'm much older than some of them), and we needed a bigger vehicle. We ended up with a 1987 Chev Astro - which really was a great little truck. Then I bought an '86 Buick Century - great engine, but it eventually fell apart too. The CRX, in the hands of wild teenagers, was driven into the ground. It broke my wife's heart when she last saw it full of dirt and gravel, holes in the floor, and busted up valves because nobody thought to change the timing belt.

Anyway, several cars and vans later, we have a '99 Acura TL, and an '06 Pontiac Montana SV6 (and of course a Honda CBR). She still talks about the "best car she ever had". She doesn't car about the luxury or power of the Acura, and it bothers her how expensive parts are. I think a lot of it is the nostalgia, but she really loved that car.

So buy her one, you're thinking, right? I did. I found a 1987 DX (it's red, though) with less than 70,000 kilometers. Yep, it's Canada, that's like brand new! It sat for a while with its first owner, but the last owner did all the work - hoses, brakes, gas tank and fuel lines, new rad, alternator, tires, timing belt and water pump. It needs a bit of cosmetic work, but it runs great.

I've had to find it, pick it up, get it certified and bring it (near) home without her knowing. It's going to be a Christmas present. Right now, I stop by the storage place in the morning to work on it, then I go to work. I ride back at lunch to work on it, then back to work. She has no idea. Of course, everyone at work is sick of hearing about it.

Heres' some pics - including the one that will be under the Christmas tree!

Neverion

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1984 honda civic
    Garage View Garage
jesus how much did you pay for that? i got my civic for 1000 and it looks 10 times worse than that.

CarolinaCRX

• But Honey, these little cars keep following me home!!
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX/HF 5spd-Restoration almost finished, 1986 CRX DX 5spd, and other vehicles/toys
That car looks SWEET and you are a really good dude! I think she will be crying tears of joy Christmas morning. biggrin.gif
Every day of life is a gift...........live it that way.

rinnaye

• 3G'ist
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Si-R-Spec & 2005 Tacoma
First, let me say, as a member who too was also 21 years old in 1986, and remembers when the CRX was brand new, I'd like to say, Welcome!

Nice find, that car is very clean. I'm sure your better half will be overjoyed with her Christmas present this year.

Rene

85crxDX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx
    Garage View Garage
That's a nice car...you gotta hand to a gal that likes a crx...you got lucky twice my friend!!

Emefef

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks guys. I paid $1500 for it. In Ontario, if it's more than 20 years old we have to get it appraised before we can do a transfer. The Gov't is worried that it might be some classic worth $20k and they won't get the tax.
I took it to a garage that does safeties and appraisals - they tightened the straps on the gas tank and passed it. I told them what I paid and they said "let's make it $1,000".

There is some rust in the usual spots. It sat on grass for nearly 10 years sad.gif
I'm keeping it pretty close to stock, because that's the way my wife liked it....she didn't even like the Si when it came out because she liked the two colours (so she isn't quite perfect.)

It feels pretty good, although it's tough to compare it to anything. I drive over to storage either in the TL, or on my bike. If I hop in the CRX to drive it, it's bumpy and loud compared to the TL - but I think everything is the way it's supposed to be.

Edited by Emefef, 03 November 2010 - 01:27 PM.

CarolinaCRX

• But Honey, these little cars keep following me home!!
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX/HF 5spd-Restoration almost finished, 1986 CRX DX 5spd, and other vehicles/toys
"it's bumpy and loud compared to the TL - but I think everything is the way it's supposed to be."

That is exactly the way it is supposed to be........a go-cart on steroids. biggrin.gif
Every day of life is a gift...........live it that way.

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si
First, AMAZING FIND...interior is schhweeeeet!

Second, did you pay an ADDITIONAL 1000 bucks for appraisal?? Jeez, that seems criminal.

And third, pay the extra for a genuine header panel from Honda, or a junkyard, or whatever. Don't get the fleabay ones. They don't fit too well.

You got a jem. I salivate in your general direction. ohmy.gif

oh, and p.s. - slap some p.o.r. or rust inhibitor on those bad spots. Honda cancer is the killer.

p.p.s. - 70,000 kilometers is what...32,000 miles? Staggering.

please, more shots of the interior!
Cannot drive with the window up

Emefef

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
No, no, no! The appraisal was like $30 - it was lumped in with my bill for the safety.

He appraised it at $1000 so that's what I would pay tax on!

I have a original header panel and fenders coming - $50 each.

I ground away all the loose stuff and put POR on everything I could reach. I've had to do a bunch behind the wheels, where the bumper cap wraps around. Since it isn't structural, I cleaned it all up, put POR inside and out, then shaped some 22 gauge metal to the spots, sealed and riveted. POR is AWESOME.

70k is about 44,000 miles.

I will put up more pics, but right now the interior is full of all my supplies, the left side garnish, and the rear bumper! Maybe next week. Thanks Tim.

Mark

Emefef

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Okay here's two more from the day I picked it up:

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
OHHHHH.....30 bucks. Much better.

I'm just speechless at your find. Your wife is gonna have a fit. You ought to somehow film her reaction, would give many of us rpr's a kick. Or maybe after you give it to her, film her putting around yard in it.

Trust me, we all have felt the charm of these little 23 yr old economy cars.

Again, amazing. Good luck with your resto. wink.gif

The 1987 Honda CRX. The car that could actually fit under the Christmas tree.

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (Emefef @ Nov 3 2010, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is some rust in the usual spots. It sat on grass for nearly 10 years sad.gif
I'm keeping it pretty close to stock, because that's the way my wife liked it....she didn't even like the Si when it came out because she liked the two colours (so she isn't quite perfect.)

First, who would let a car with this few miles SIT FOR 10 YEARS!??

Second, ain't that just like a woman?? Car selection based on color! tongue.gif laugh.gif blink.gif blink.gif laugh.gif

Emefef

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
The woman who let it sit was the original owner. I have the owner's manual and bill of sale, still in the little red vinyl folder. She let it sit because she got dogs that were too big to ride in it. In fact, the driver's side fender is full of scratches and chips from the dogs jumping up when she came home. She bought a mini van and let the car sit. The guy I bought it from was the second owner. He put some money and a lot of time into it. Fortunately, he seems to have been a fairly competent mechanic, and he believed everything should be stock!

For example, he paid $400 to restore the gas tank and filler neck. He heard Honda timing belts were better, so he took off the first one he used and put a Honda belt on. He gave me the spare. He also had the head off and into a shop to check there was no damage when he was replacing the timing belt and water pump. He's pretty sure they did the valve seals, based on what he paid there. He did all that other work I listed in the first post, then he was selling it for $2500. He had only had it running a couple of times since he finished it all, and it was smoking - a lot of oil on startup. So I offered him $1500, and he was still trying to help me - he wanted to take the head off again and take it back to the shop that looked at it.

It only smoked on startup, and after about three days it wasn't burning any oil at all. Runs like a charm - just like I remember all of my hondas - 77 civic, 82 civic, (our?) '86 CRX, 85 accord, and a few CB and CBR's.

Edited by Emefef, 05 November 2010 - 03:35 PM.

Emefef

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
SO I've had a few hidden problems with rust, mostly under the rear bumper cover and some spots where I had to get creative above the heater motor, but it's pretty much all gone now - cut out where I could, slathered with POR15 where I couldn't.
I've got all around the rear wheels done too.

The red paint on the bumper cover was from the previous owner's repair - I took the cover and the garnish off.

Now I can get to work on the plastic parts. The front fenders are badly cracked, and the nose mask/header panel finally shattered along all of its cracks.

This week I got two (red!) fenders in really good shape, and the header panel in AWESOME shape (except it's del Sol green). Also, a set of Honda rims! Then need cleaning and polishing, but I couldn't wait to get tires on them and get them on. I needed at least two new tires, so I figured I just do all four and put the steelies away (hidden under a tarp, because the car is still a secret). Besides, with them on the car I can work on them wherever I take it.....

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Lookin' fabulous!

Watching and waiting for the big reaction! biggrin.gif